Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Stain damaged with housewash

Question

I know this probably belongs in the other forum, but since it will be best answered by the woodies, I put it here. That said;

What can I do to keep the bleach in housewash from splotching/stripping/loosening oil stains? I've fought with this for years now, and it finally came back to bite me. A customer with a stained porch floor is upset because there are streaks in their previously uniform stain. Rinse, rinse, and more rinse and it still happens.

Most difficult to deal with are TWP and anything from home depot. I swear you could completely strip TWP with only bleach. The only thing I haven't had a problem with to date is behr and acrylics....

Anyway, I've gotta go to the customers house tomorrow to discuss remediation. It's sure going to suck to restain a deck for free over a $165 housewash....

18 answers to this question

I know this probably belongs in the other forum, but since it will be best answered by the woodies, I put it here. That said;

What can I do to keep the bleach in housewash from splotching/stripping/loosening oil stains? I've fought with this for years now, and it finally came back to bite me. A customer with a stained porch floor is upset because there are streaks in their previously uniform stain. Rinse, rinse, and more rinse and it still happens.

Most difficult to deal with are TWP and anything from home depot. I swear you could completely strip TWP with only bleach. The only thing I haven't had a problem with to date is behr and acrylics....

Anyway, I've gotta go to the customers house tomorrow to discuss remediation. It's sure going to suck to restain a deck for free over a $165 housewash....

You don't have to re stain the whole deck if it's TWP just touch up the spots.You can take some mineral spirits on a rag and rub the streaks out to blend them in.Then touch up the whole board so it's even on the board.

You can wet then cover the decking with plastic or tarps while you are cleaning the house .

hmmm, I've always wondered how you housewash guys deal with this one. What I'd think is worse are the decks that are unfinished. I assume you are pre-wetting, and not just rinsing?? That would help. Besides that, I'd just make sure to disclaim it. Some people like Beth and Rod do both of these services and may offer a better answer, but that's the best I've got.

Prewetting the deck to saturation and applying an acid to the deck will neutralize your housewash mix as it lands.

Ken

The acid won't effect the existing stain on the deck?

Shane, the acid is very diluted. If the sealer on the deck is so weak that it comes up with the acid, then there is really no way you are going to be able to wash it without ruining the finish. I make sure the homeowner understands that if his deck is bad shape it's likely this will happen.

We always wash the house before the deck. But, if you are getting this as just a house wash, it makes it tricky. Prewet the deck. Run a sprinkler if you have to. I am of two minds about applying the acid. My concern is neutral salts. Have to ponder that one some more.... I'll be back...let me go find more coffee......

Beth :cup:

I am curious about the streaks you are talking about.

White?

Gray/white?

yellow/white?

The reason I ask is because of soluble salts and pressure treatment residues coming out of the wood in recent weeks due to the enormous amount of precipitation followed by a dry spell. This has lead to a crusty residue to exude from veins, knots and so forth in the wood.

If this is the case, then remove the exuded material with acid solution and a brush. After rinsing and drying, re-coat the area(s) affected with the same product.

Call my number in the signature if you have any further questions.

Rod~

Good point! Always check the condition of the deck before you start, because otherwise it is very difficult to tell if something is a result of the process, or was there before you began. The process to correct one is not necessarily the same as for the other....

Beth

I just stained a deck with ready seal 2 weeks a go and home owner wanted me to power wash the house .i used all brite from sunbrite and it didnt hurt anything .the main thing is keep the stain wet ,with a sprinkler .

I am curious about the streaks you are talking about.

Varying thickesses of stain. If you watch during the cleaning, you can actually see stain coloration in the rinse water. Just like when you actually strip, only to a much lesser degree. It often softens the finish to the point that you leave shoe prints in the stain. I haven't tried the sprinkler yet, but no amount of pre-wetting & rinsing has stopped it. If you don't pre-wet at all it'll seriously ruin the finish.

IMHO, it's clearly the Ph+ bleach beginning to emulsify the oils.

Good point! Always check the condition of the deck before you start, because otherwise it is very difficult to tell if something is a result of the process, or was there before you began. The process to correct one is not necessarily the same as for the other....

In this particular case, I didn't see it before. But the descriptions from the employee and the homeowner both point to what I have seen before and described above. I have seen it even on newly stained decks that looked perfect beforehand.

Barring some insight from here, I don't see a way around it. Tarping it (often very unwieldy),is not something I see as feasible. Passing or disclaiming would cost me a great deal of jobs....

hmmm, I've always wondered how you housewash guys deal with this one. What I'd think is worse are the decks that are unfinished. I assume you are pre-wetting, and not just rinsing?? That would help. Besides that, I'd just make sure to disclaim it. Some people like Beth and Rod do both of these services and may offer a better answer, but that's the best I've got.

Yes, pre-wetting. Unfinished decks are cake. Just pre-wet to avoid splotching. Light colored trex can be a bear as there are always noticible clean areas.

What if you used sodium percarbonate instead of bleach in your housewash mix on that side of house? Do you think someone would encounter same issues? Sodium Percarbonate is slower than bleach but it's safe for stained wood right?

Just a thought??

Scott

I hate to ask this quesion Philip, but was it a ready seal deck? I have seen this product come off with a bleach house wash solution. Just a curiosity question.

TWP has only been around for a few years here. The majority of jobs we wash houses on involves a deck that has already seen the best of its stain life and is in need of maintenance. Rarely do we get a deck that has been recently sealed (other than the relative few we have done in spite of warnings to the client of the potential downsides to having the process performed after the deck was completed) that requires a measure of protection beyond prewetting and neutralization.

You probably have a plan in mind to rectify the situation, but let us know how it turns out.

Racechaser,

A percarb could cause the same problem as it has a high pH. Unfortunately use of this material in house washing can cause problems with windows by leaving a difficult to remove haze on the glass. If this happens, the cause is the cure believe it or not. Been there...

Rod~

I hate to ask this quesion Philip, but was it a ready seal deck? I have seen this product come off with a bleach house wash solution. Just a curiosity question.

Nope. Home Depot something or another...

TWP has only been around for a few years here.

I mention TWP because it is ALWAYS a problem. It seems to be more of a problem with film forming oils.

The majority of jobs we wash houses on involves a deck that has already seen the best of its stain life and is in need of maintenance. Rarely do we get a deck that has been recently sealed (other than the relative few we have done in spite of warnings to the client of the potential downsides to having the process performed after the deck was completed) that requires a measure of protection beyond prewetting and neutralization.

My typical is a little different. About 1:10 are stain that is still within it's useful life and/or relatively new.

You probably have a plan in mind to rectify the situation, but let us know how it turns out.

Yep, but not a very good one. Smooth with thinner if possible, re-stain if not.

All this said, does anyone care to share a bid sheet and/or auth to begin work that disclaims this nicely? Any suggestions on how to communicate the isue and not spook the homeowner away from the work? Should I be tarping all of these?

Should I be tarping all of these?

Prewetting and putting down plastic/tarps to cover would make me feel better cleaing a house W/bleach around decks...:cool: