Sign in to follow this  
Steve Kiser

Anyone seen this

That would be extremely handy sometimes. I have the field hose repair kit. But I still like to get my hoses permanently crimped. I have probably spent $100 this year having hoses fitted, plus having to drive down there and wait. I wonder how much one of these would cost and whether or not it would be effective at crimping ferules in high pressure situations. I have had some ferules "pop" off as soon as the pressure hits it because it wasn't crimped right.

The shop I take mine to uses a crimper attachment in a hydraulic parts press. It looks very similar to the handheld unit, albiet a lot beefier. Anyway, you just insert insert new uncrimped hose end into the bottom collar, put the top piece on, and press go. Looking at it, I see no reason at all why it wouldn't work (slowly) in a 5 ton benchtop press that runs about $50 at northern.

For those who are curious, they have a chop saw fitted with an abrasive blade to cut the hose and homemade 3 pin "maze" (similar to a wire bending tool) to hold it still. Cut, insert new end, put it in the crimper, done. A quick $10.00 and worth every penny BUT the drive to the shop blows...

I just called them and they said this is not for pressure wash hose. They said it won't hold. A better tool would be a Bandit Jr. Used one for 4 years now, never failed yet -knock, knock.

That's very similar to my invention. A device that screws on the supply hose to the customers house easily. I'm trying to figure out a hanheld device that can screw on the hose to the faucet. Possibly battery powered. Is ther something out there like that?

That's very similar to my invention. A device that screws on the supply hose to the customers house easily. I'm trying to figure out a hanheld device that can screw on the hose to the faucet. Possibly battery powered. Is ther something out there like that?

Maybe I'm missing something or I'm just looking at this form the wrong angle........but.........what's wrong with screwing the hoses on the spigot or faucet with your hands?

I have had several hoses "repaired in the Hydraulic press and they just do not hold under the pressure and heat. Especially when the hose gets a jolts from the unloader! It really seems a waste to replace 200' of hose for one bad end, but I have not had any luck with repairs.

I thought to send back to manufacturer and see if they can or will repair to like new.

Has anyone tried that route?

I've got just under 700ft of hose on my two reels at any given time and I have been repairing my hoses for years (ofcourse every hose comes to see it's last days). I've never had a problem with repaired hoses except for them possibly bursting at some other point.

At $100 bucks per 50ft section, I'm going to spend 20 bucks once or twice to repair the hose and make it last.

If it's done properly the repair crimps should never give.

I must add that I've never had a crimp (original or otherwise) give in on me. It's always the hose that burst.....usually at points where it's been under a lot of stress from the hose reel.

I guess I haven't been able to find someone to make a "good" repair around here. I tried 3 different shops at least twice and all of them failed almost as soon as I fired it up. Sooo I gave up on that and just put out the $$ on new hose instead of riding around place to place.

Time spent not working is $$$ that could be coming in.

After you have a couple of hoses burst in your hands or new your head, it just is not worth the burn or worse.

I have 200' of almost new hose hanging right now, where the end broke just behind the crimp. (new factory crimp and hose, never repaired).

I called Goodyear and the supplier and both said not covered b/c over 6 months old!

I guess I haven't been able to find someone to make a "good" repair around here. I tried 3 different shops at least twice and all of them failed almost as soon as I fired it up. Sooo I gave up on that and just put out the $$ on new hose instead of riding around place to place.

After you have a couple of hoses burst in your hands or new your head, it just is not worth the burn or worse.

I have 200' of almost new hose hanging right now, where the end broke just behind the crimp. (new factory crimp and hose, never repaired).

I called Goodyear and the supplier and both said not covered b/c over 6 months old!

I don't know what you pay for your Goodyears but I'd sure as heck stop buying them. I've used nothing but JetBlue or the grey ones (there's probably a 100 diff gray hoses but I can't recall who makes them).................they're both nonmarking hose and have had no problems with them at all (except for the usual wear and tear).

I know that the Jeblues cost me $92 per 50ft section......it's possible that the prices have gone up since.

Always start out the new season with new hoses; around 300 ft. Once one breaks, trash it and pull out a new one. You will save yourself alot of time. I used to repair my hoses and found that they would only last a few weeks at best before they would break in another spot. The hoses would usally break right in the middle of a job after I just finished soaping a house. New hoses will last me almost a year without any problems.

Do you use bend restrictors on your hose? If not, that may be the problem with ends going bad from extreme angles. I have used only Good Year hose for nearly 4 years and like it very much. I would blame the crimper before the hose maker. Wonder if the crimper cut off enough hose to get a good end to repair. Try some of the reusable ends that Russ mentioned and see if that makes a difference.