Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Are you a "Reputable" contractor?

Question

In a recent Cleaner Times article Everett Abrams use the word "reputable" to decribe PWNA contractors. His article neglected to mention the fact that there are 100's if not 1000's of "reputable" contractors that are not PWNA members. The article was about jobs DIYers should not tackle,yet it turned into a promo for the PWNA and a slap in the face to those whom are not members.

Being a member of ANY organization does not make you more "reputable" than any other contractor. Your reputation is built on the quality and reliability of services. It was not that long ago we had this debate on this very BBS and Everett stated he didn't feel that being a member of an ORG. made your company "reputable".

Cleaner Times staffers may feel that such verbage is okay since it's partnered with the PWNA and it's writing heavily slants that way,but I would venture a guess that a lot of subcribers are not PWNA members. As a non PWNA member and a Cleaner Times subscriber I feel that allowing such commentary hurts the industry and is unfair to non PWNA members businesses. It paints a picture of inexperience and poor credibilty for non PWNA members that is neither warranted nor deserved. If you are a non PWNA member;do you appreciate these kind of comments being directed at your company?

I will be writing Cleaner Times to express my dislike of such slanted comments in their articles.

I'm sure this will be edited or pulled because it's not on the PC side of the fence,but it's just me.......MR. NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT.

14 answers to this question

I'm sure this will be edited or pulled because it's not on the PC side of the fence,but it's just me.......MR. UNPROFESSIONAL.

Your post was not degoratory in anyway, you simply stated what was printed in newsletter to members of PWNA. If I were to edit anything it would be how your signed off. You are NOT unprofessional Scott and we all know that.

I have been (was) a member for many years and have seen the good and bad of it like any other ORG.

For whatever reasons most pressure washers just do not feel an ORG will benefit them and that is sad as every profession needs to have an ORG and PWNA is the one for pressure washers.

Not saying everyone should write a check and join but I am saying do not close your mind to it.

I will not get personal about Everett or any member or BOD as I consider all of them friends.

Still each has his or her own mind and will say what they think is right, not saying it is right or wrong here.

As long as I've been reading this website I've seen so many members mention the fact that they are PWNA members. I myself looked into becoming one. My only issue with membership is the fact that 99.9% of my customers have never heard of it. I understand the cool benefits of being a member, but my business is still in the beginning stages so for me it's not cost effective. The organization is great, but as far as the whole reputable thing...........who's going to know?

I in no way feel that the JUST because someone is a member of the PWNA that they are "more reputable" than another contractor. However, let me tell you what I have gained this year from being a member and paying the $195.00.

I have directly gotten over $10,000 in contracts that were spearheaded by the PWNA. Two seperate accounts that wanted PWNA members to do the work.

Valuable feedback from other well established contractors. Whenever I post a question on the PWNA forum, it is not unusual to recieve at least two CALLS, not replies on the forum. Just guys calling to help me out, for no other reason!

Although I cannot directly relate it to sales, I know the logo and perception that I do belong to an organization that promotes good cleaning practices has helped. Let's face it their are a lot of guys out there trying to make weekend money (the way I started) and I do feel membership in something only helps seperate you from some competition. I can say "Yes, I am a little higher than most, but here is a reason why" Most of the residential that I target would rather spend another $100-$150 and feel comfortable that I am a step above the rest or will treat their property with respect. Landing these type customers only leads to referrals to other people that have higher priced properties as well.

Membership in ANY organization is what you make it!!! Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, PWNA, BOMA. If you use the contacts and participate the rewards are usually a lot greater than the cost.

This is what I have gotten for my $195.00. It really is a small price. Do not let your opinions be jaded by the comments of a few people that you disagree on a point or two.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

Scott,

The article appeared in the "PWNA Today" section of Cleaner TImes. This section is set aside for PWNA by Cleaner Times, and has been for years. Just wanted to point that out in case you were not aware of it. They also have an area for CETA to post articles.

Beth

Beth,

Yes, it does appear in the PWNA today section,however, the article for November covering waste water only discussed that topic. It never strayed to mention how much more "reputable" PWNA companies are that reclaim.

The "reputable" commentary is not required. This magazine isn't sold on news stands to every Tom,**** and Harry home owner. It's a publication for those of us in the industry.

As Jeff states;"I in no way feel that the JUST because someone is a member of the PWNA that they are "more reputable" than another contractor."

Before your company joined the PWNA wasn't it already "reputable"? When your company was away from the PWNA for a short time wasn't your company still "reputable"?

The fact is; If your company meets licensing requirements for your area,pays it's taxes,has required insurance and provides quality,reliable services to it's customers, it is "reputable".

Jon,

This isn't a personal thing with Everett. I just don't see the need to paint a picture of unreliablity and poor credibilty for non PWNA members in an idustry wide publication.If this had appeared in the PWNA newsletter I would have never said a word because it is sent to members only.

Scott,

I don't see anything wrong with the article. (December issue) I see nothing demeaning.

To me it read as "don't try this at home" followed by where a consumer might look for contractors to do the work the article just talked them out of doing. My sense is, you might that this article withyou to help close a sale or leave copies with your bid... perhaps it makes a good tool.

Beth

I agree with your point Scott, but thats an Organization promoting themselves. The only thing you can do is continue to run your company the way you do and prove that comments made are wrong.

A tag of anysort gives you the look of legitimacy and commitment. Kind of like being Wolman Certified, BBB member, NFIB member, Chamber of Commerce Member.

Ethics used to be involved with being a member of an assosiation of anykind, whether they are 'audited' for that or not, who knows.

The biggest problem is cheap (moneywise) oriented people. The customers you should market to are the ones willing to pay you for what you are worth.

To me the article was a bit of chest thumping but it is nothing new compared to everything else I have seen, heard or experienced in my years in this industry.

There are those who are like in the Harry Potter story books...that discriminate pure bloods from mudbloods if this is any example, it boils down to the us -vs- them attitude which is wholly unproductive and arrives at drawing a line creating sides and thus the imminence of battle ensues.

Personally I think it is time for people to stop taking sides and look at it in a different way. It is supposed to be the effort of these organizations to make everything cohesive, coming together into a group of like-minded business owners who can benefit omni-laterally from the association. Not becoming separated into peer groups and rebel rouser's.

As adults, I would think we could learn from the issues of the past and take the care not to repeat the mistakes. I am not a fan of who is -vs- who isn't whatever practices. It is only destructive and inconsiderate. We cannot know all the ends and the philosophy of perceptions (instant judgment) is a political maneuver taken by those who fear loss.

We have all faced loss in our business ventures and still we move on doing our best. Some of us learning while others have yet to gain the understanding. Either way, we are all in business and pointing out legit, reputable, legal, et al only keeps us from being a unified industry.

I suggest we approach relations with an open mind, less judgment and more willingness to be friends first.

Rod~

Scott I did not to make it sound like your were picking on Everett or anyone, just that I am the kind of guy that has no enemies, I hate no one, now I do not have to like someone either but I don't hate them.

How's that for a "what did you say again" sentence.

Just because people are friends does not mean they agree on everything, it just means they see many things the same way, like many of the same things etc.

Rod very well said,

I suggest we approach relations with an open mind, less judgment and more willingness to be friends first.

Just my .02 worth.

When I read the article I didn't see it as pointing at my company not being "Reputable" because I wasn't a member of PWNA. I saw it as directed at the home owner of "Don't try this at home" kind of thing. I'm not now nor have I ever been a member of PWNA I did frequent their site and learned alot from and developed friendships albeit web friendships with many who are members. In my case I really don't have time for the "us vs them " discussion. If someone should direct the "your company isn't any good because your not a member" challenge at my company. I will invite them to come down and have a wash off with me. Talk is cheap.

Again just my .02 worth. Now I return you to your regular programming.

As long as you are confident in your abilities and you have repeat customers due to your reputation, I could care less what any article says. I would be willing to bet that not one of your customers has ever heard of much less seen an issue of the Cleaner Times. Just keep gettin'-r-done!

Where to start :shrug:

I have seem some of the contractors that are members or have been members of the PWNA. Some of them are good operations that actually are trying to perform the best quality work for the dollar, others are companies that you had better keep your hand on your wallet when you are shaking their hand, and the only reason that they joined the PWNA is because they wanted to see what they were teaching their members, and hoping they weren't giving away too much information. Now to Everetts point of it being filled with reputable contractors, some are, some aren't. I do think that being a member of the org lends an air of respectability. It would be an even bigger bonus if the Org actually did something to promote itself, instead of appearing to be out there to make money by selling classes...But since I only suspect things, I won't go there.

Scott Stone