Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Homier distributing

Question

Anyone have any experience with the Homier travelling tool sales? I went to my first, and despite mixed opinions there may be some gems buried in these "made in china" tool sales.

First, I found two no-name gas engines for sale. A 9hp and a 13hp. They were priced at $199 and $259 respectively. Upon inspection, I noticed that they were IDENTICAL in almost every detail to honda GX engines. Particularly the GX390 which I use and maintain weekly. Same starter cover design, same air cleaner assembly, same throttle body/choke assembly. Same on/off switch, etc. Are these Honda seconds? It is doubtful that a no-name "made in china" company spent this much time knocking off every detail. Even if they are not high-quality, at 25% of the price they may be worth using while your main unit is in for service/repair.

Second, I found (and bought) a $99 900w generator. Not enough for running the house, but it runs my pair of 300w halogens great. And unless I'm mistaken, it should run an AC burner just fine. Anyway, the point was that if you need more than an invertor, but less than a real generator, this may be the ticket. I know mine is waiting for our next camping trip or my next night time cleaning job.

Finally, I found (but missed) a $99 125a wirefeed (flux core) welder. Now this thing would never be useful for tradesman, but for the occasional repair to a hose reel, hand truck, etc. (or for learning), it looked like a deal to me.

6 answers to this question

Do not buy ANYTHING from them. Even stuff you think cannot be disfunctional in any way. I got some hand dollies from them, and the tires have to be aired up periodically and the paint blistered off immediately. Got some batteries that were junk from the start. Bought a tool kit for someone for Christmas and the handle to the hammer broke first use. Its all junk in one way or the other.

900 watts would RUN the burner, but it's not enough to get it started. Got to have about 2,000 watts to start the motor. Chinese engines look good, but are very inferior as far as materials of construction.

Just a little about the motors. I don't know about the industrial engines, but there are many chinese knock-off Honda and Yamaha motorcycles being sold in the states now. I've had occassion to see the guts of these things EVERY TIME a friend has bought or borrowed one.

The bikes are cosmetically identical to their japanese cousins, but the build quality and metallugy is terrible. Springs don't match from one valve to the next, the machining looks like it was done free-hand with a Dremel tool, and parts (like rings on one memorable night) get left completely out.

They don't last, I'd wager nearly any amount. I bought a simple 999 foot measuring wheel from one of these guys when mine was swiped on a job. It lasted 9 feet before breaking forever.

Cheap is not inexpensive.:)