Sign in to follow this  
sflasealcoating

general pump surface cleaner

I do NOT recommend anyone purchase the new line of general pump surface cleaners.... now selling for 399.99 on most sites its usually advertised as (professional model) got 3 of them and EVERY one blew the bearings and shaft a day later..local shop got a few in and said he had the same prob...whirl aways still good and of course whisper washer if u have the money lol

I do NOT recommend anyone purchase the new line of general pump surface cleaners.... now selling for 399.99 on most sites its usually advertised as (professional model) got 3 of them and EVERY one blew the bearings and shaft a day later..local shop got a few in and said he had the same prob...whirl aways still good and of course whisper washer if u have the money lol

I saw the Generals even cheaper than that, I just thought it was to good to be true at those prices thats why i just got the Whisper wash classic

To bad Generals selling a crap surface cleaner

JL

Well that stinks! I bought one off Northern about 4 months ago to set aside as a back up. I've only used one time for maybe, 10 minutes just to make sure everything was working ok, other than that, it's been sitting aside just in case my regular one goes down. Maybe it was just a bad batch you got. Did you try contacting the manufacturer or dealer?

Well i bought it from wate canon....they said they would send me a replacment bearing kit.....but of course thats $$ to install im not dong that 2 days after i bought it..... i was trying to save $$ cuase my trailer was stolen and i was down 7,000.00 so i kinda had to scrounge lol so ill prob save and get a whisper....but im using my good ol whirlaway as of now...

Well i bought it from wate canon....they said they would send me a replacment bearing kit.....but of course thats $$ to install im not dong that 2 days after i bought it..... i was trying to save $$ cuase my trailer was stolen and i was down 7,000.00 so i kinda had to scrounge lol so ill prob save and get a whisper....but im using my good ol whirlaway as of now...

Out of curiosty, what size tips were you using on the surface cleaner, and what gpm/psi machine were you running them with?

i was trying to save $$ cuase my trailer was stolen and i was down 7,000.00 so i kinda had to scrounge lol so ill prob save and get a whisper....but im using my good ol whirlaway as of now...

and you went and bought 3 new surface cleaners that you didn't need.;)

sorry to hear about your loss, hope everything works out.

Try 4.5 in it with that pump. Even then you will be tearing up most of our fine Florida concrete. It's cool though, some people like to see the pretty rocks and shells.

:lgsideway

and you went and bought 3 new surface cleaners that you didn't need.;)

sorry to hear about your loss, hope everything works out.

Try 4.5 in it with that pump. Even then you will be tearing up most of our fine Florida concrete. It's cool though, some people like to see the pretty rocks and shells.

:lgsideway

Didnt buy 3 bought 1 the other two were for another company which i work with..... and as for the rocks and shells..... I do Pavers not concrete, an by ICPI standards rating of 8000 psi they are much stronger then concrete :) Concrete sucks lol and if i do clean concrete i turn my unloader down to 1000-1500 psi

#4 tip on 8 gpm 3500 psi? My chart shows using a 7.5 nozzle with those specs. May it was wasn't a faulty bearing?

He said #4 TIPS (plural) on a surface cleaner. the two make up 8g per.

I'm sure someone may have pointed this out already, but you get what you pay for...why is it we expect our customers to understand that concept and hire us over a lower priced "economy" contractor, but when it comes to US spending the money, we want to be that tight-fisted economy purchaser?

He said #4 TIPS (plural) on a surface cleaner. the two make up 8g per.

As Pete pointed out, you need two 4.5s for an 8gpm machine, and that'll still give you over 3000psi. two 4's will give you 4000 psi, more than his system is setup for, and more than you need for concete.

As Pete pointed out, you need two 4.5s for an 8gpm machine, and that'll still give you over 3000psi. two 4's will give you 4000 psi, more than his system is setup for, and more than you need for concete.

Yes, your right. I'm not sure what I was thinking, and as I expected this may be part of the cause for the premature blown swivel and other problems with his GP surface cleaners.

Yes, your right. I'm not sure what I was thinking, and as I expected this may be part of the cause for the premature blown swivel and other problems with his GP surface cleaners.

It may have been, or it may just be crappy equipment, or more likely, a combination of the two.

I bought one from water cannon, blew the bearing 2nd week. WC sent me a new one, no problems since. the only thing I dont like is its very heavy! Seems like 10-15 lbs more than the rotoblaster, even though its only 4-5.

sflsealcoating- they are easy to put in by yourself, you just need a pair of snapring pliers.

I doubt that had anythign to do with the problem...Everyone ive spoken with here uses 4's in their machines for 3500 psi.. I've run 4's with the same machine and my whisper washers and whirlaways for years without any probs. Hmmm if i put 4.5 in and their made for 3000psi wouldnt i be cuttign down the cleaning power of the machine??? I would think the oriface size of the 4's would allow me to get the most ou of the 3500 psi at 8 gpm.. But i will from now on Pay for the top of the line and not settle lol i learned my lesson, besides that general cleaner was heavy as all hell. Im 5'10 205 and it was a workout for me to do a job with it.lol :)

Im 5'10 205 and it was a workout for me to do a job with it.lol :)

That's why I LOVE the Big Guy...I can run that thing ALL day and never get tired. Just walk along behind it and try not to get tangled in the hose...that's about it.

Just thought I would share that the General pump surface cleaners are on sale at Northern Tool for $245.00. If you need a back up, or just don't have much money for surfacer, this could be a really good deal.

Well, eat s*** General Pump!!! As a stated some time ago, I had bought one of the General pump surface cleaners as a back up for my work horse Rotoblaster. Because my work horse is finally starting to get a little flakey (after 3 years of dedicated service, bless it's little heart), I started using the GP surfacer yesterday. I cleaned a driveway with it yesterday and got about 10 minutes into another job today and the thing went to crap.

So, I guess it is a piece of crap just like everyone else stated above. Lesson learned, just like a preach to my customers quality comes at a premium. Actually, I never expected it to be a champ like my old friend "Rotoblaster", but 1 driveway?

I'm sure someone may have pointed this out already, but you get what you pay for...why is it we expect our customers to understand that concept and hire us over a lower priced "economy" contractor, but when it comes to US spending the money, we want to be that tight-fisted economy purchaser?

LOL...hate to say it...but I told you so!! Too bad about the surfacer tho. Are you going to try to return it/get it replaced? I would! $245.00, that's almost three housewashes! :lgbugeyes

Maybe I'll look into having it replaced, but the problem is I bought it almost a year ago as a back up. Yesterday and today was the first time I've used it since then (besides a 3 minute trial run). Oh well, when some, loss some. Actually, I don't really care that much, I actually started laughing when it started to malfunction and imediately thought about this thread.

P.S. three house washes? try 6-8 :banana: