Sign in to follow this  
Hydroservices

Another low-baler.

Question

I thought I would share this picture with all of you other professionals out there. This man and his $300 Home Depot special just beat me out on two of my bid proposals for residential work.

Not only did he low-ball my price but he did a terrible job. Now the customer who owns this house is asking me to redo the work for half the price. I said no thank you.

You would think that people would do their research occasionally before selecting someone for this type of work.

It just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.

post-1120-137772150164_thumb.jpg

39 answers to this question

In all reality, can you blam consumers for making decisions based on price? I'm sure all of use have been guilty of this in the past. I also know that most of us probably don't shop for services by price anymore (after being in this, a service business). These people aren't stupid, nor are they cheap. They are simply shopping the same way they shop for most things, but unfortunetly, services aren't like buying most products off the shelf where you can compare apples to apples.

Pressure washing is still in its infancy, therefore, customers don't know what red flags to look out for. If a customer hires a lawn business to maintain their property, and the guy shows up with a push mower and a cheap electric blower, this will put up a red flag in the customers eyes immediately. Their first thought might be; non ligit, lowballer, uninsured, fly-by-night, regardless of how the guy runs his business. I find that most of my new customers are oblivious to what this trade is all about, and what to expect in the way of equipment and quality. The first thing I get from a lot of them is showing me where all of the spigots are around the house so I have a place to hook up my squirt gun. I then explain that I will only need to hook up to the one spigot in the front and my equipment stays on the trailer.

We got Little Ceasers pizza tonite for the kids. The pizzas are called hot and ready, they are large one topping pizzas ready on request for $5 and they SUCK. This is the 'lowball' pizza choice, if we wanted more quality we could pay more and go to Pizza Hut. My point is there are lowballers in almost every industry type in the country, some have no clue what there're doing others think they can only get business by undercutting everyone else. All I know is history says the 'quality' companies stay in business longer than the one's lowballing. Pick your side of the fence and go with it.

We got Little Ceasers pizza tonite for the kids. The pizzas are called hot and ready, they are large one topping pizzas ready on request for $5 and they SUCK. This is the 'lowball' pizza choice, if we wanted more quality we could pay more and go to Pizza Hut. My point is there are lowballers in almost every industry type in the country, some have no clue what there're doing others think they can only get business by undercutting everyone else. All I know is history says the 'quality' companies stay in business longer than the one's lowballing. Pick your side of the fence and go with it.

We buy the Hot n' Ready pizza from Little Ceasers about once a week. Its not the greatest, but, in my opinion, better the Pizza Hut. My first job was at pizza hut, and their quailty was much better than it is now. When I first started working there, they mixed the dough fresh everyday, soon after, and still to this day, all pizza Hut's dough is shipped in as factory processed frozen disks. They are then thawed, topped and cooked. Its not the same anymore.

If a Contractor's License was required to operate a business I think a lot of problems would be solved. It's just way to easy to get into this business.

I disagree. Licensing has NEVER ensured competency in ANY profession. The states even require a competency test to obtain a license to drive a car, and you can't even count the number of licensed fools. Every gotten a bad haircut? Licensed. Bad stock advice? Licensed. Needed a second doctors opinion? Licensed.

Here in Maryland you need an MHIC license to do the staining and sealing part. The public in general is not educated at all on pressure cleaning. Most of my customers have rented a PW machine, or own one, tried it themselves and then called me. My neighbor 2 doors down knows that I own a pressure washing business. One day I look outside and some clowns in a 1978 poop brown window van are pressure washing her house and deck with a tiny little machine. When they were done the siding had so many battle scars(aluminum) and the deck was full of cuts and still green!! I laughed right in her face.

Licensing is not the answer as many of us who got a license in our home state know, they have no requirements except to know where to come pick your sorry butt up if you dont pay your annual fee.

Maryland makes you take a test on the states Home Improvement Commission laws. They have no confirmation or legitimate background checking performed on the information a person submits to show experience in the related field. They just make sure you have insurance for their minimum requirements and you get your license. Thats what happened in our case so to me the whole thing about ensuring only qualified tradesman get a license is a joke.

As long as pressure washers are sold on the open market to anyone who has enough money and the backbone to carry it out to the vehicle, we are not going to see any less lowballers.

Its funny how many responsible chemical sales houses require you sign for an msds and a release of responsibility before they will sell you a hazarous chemical like eacochem does.

Maybe a possible position of an org would be able to persuade these outlet stores to have more involvement in their heavy duty equipment sales and qualifications such as a license or a permit from the local ahj. I dont know but it is just a thought.

Rod~

If Home Depot, Lowes, etc.. sell these high PSI machines to folks that have no clue as to what they are doing, I feel they should have the responsibility also. in the event a deck, house etc.. is screwed up or even an injury takes place, if they would, it would take this out of a ton of peooples hands that.

But we all know this will never happen, like Walmart they are all too greedy, but I will be the first one too admit I almost never get asked to show insurance of any kind when giving a proposal, I do however let them know I have it and what could happen if they do hire a low baller, that doesnt have it, lose their home, income retirement etc.. if someone gets seriously injured while on THEIR property, this usually really gets them scared into hiring a insured company..

Just thought this could help...

Been there, done that!

I bid a tile roof on a 2200 square foot roof at say $325.00 and the customer says "The last guy did it for $125.00"

I say, "why didn't you call him again?"

They say, "He's out of business"

I say, "I can see why, ---I prefer to stay in business" :)

My higher priced, quality approach, has kept me in business since 1978 and has supported my son's family as well as my own for the last 11 years [email=too!@

I]too! [/email]

@

I thought I would share this picture with all of you other professionals out there. This man and his $300 Home Depot special just beat me out on two of my bid proposals for residential work.

Not only did he low-ball my price but he did a terrible job. Now the customer who owns this house is asking me to redo the work for half the price. I said no thank you.

You would think that people would do their research occasionally before selecting someone for this type of work.

It just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.

Been there, done that!

I bid a tile roof on a 2200 square foot roof at say $325.00 and the customer says "The last guy did it for $125.00"

I say, "why didn't you call him again?"

They say, "He's out of business"

I say, "I can see why, ---I prefer to stay in business" :)

Same here, but I usually get "I can't find them anymore"

In fact, I did just such a gutter job today. And had the displeasure of letting the HO know that the budget guy had not been cleaning any gutters that were not easily accessible by ladder (such as gutters over a lower roof). Since this was a very nice, expensive home, that amounted to about 40% of the job...

There is nothing anyone here can do about it. There will ALWAYS be someone out there who underbids you, whatever you want to call them is up to you. Just because someone underbids you does not mean they dont have insurance, a brain, ect.....

The only thing you can do is make yourself look better. Make your company look like the best one out there. Help the customer to understand why you charge what you do, and what better results they will get with going with you. Show them photos, educate them about professional products, help them to understand. Then, if they still dont go with you, walk away and try again with someone else. Some people will always shop by price, why do you think Wal-Mart is doing so well? But you know what? So are High end Department stores because other people choose quality. Stop worrying about what the other guy is doing, all that time could be spent helping to market your own company.

Like I said before, you can run one quote "lowballer unquote out of business, but then 3 more pop up the following weekend. They will always come and go, show your customer that your here to STAY!

Educating John & Jane Q. public is the best way to combat this lowballer problem. Don't just give the cust. a bid, giv'em a DETAILED bid. Yes - step by step procedures, b4 & afters, general pics, faq's bla, bla, bla. I usually charge for the bla, bla, bla though.:deal: