Sign in to follow this  
PLD

I will NEVER buy another Dodge.

Question

Look guys, I don't mean to start a ford/chevy/mopar turf war but this has to be said... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT.

Why? My 99 Durango just started skipping and won't stop despite all the usual maintainance items. After some online research, I found out that the 1qt/week oil consumption and knocking on everything but 93 octane problems that I have been experiencing for the last 5 years are a well known design flaw that has been documented in several technical service bulletins. A half dozen trips to the dealer for assorted issues (inc'l this one specifically) and each time they claimed nothing was wrong and it was a mystery to them. $900 to replace a pan gasket, $500+ in wasted oil, and countless wasted hours all because a $2.00 factory gasket was crap.

Now having been confronted with the issue head on they tell me that since I am NOW out of warranty the $8-900 repair is all mine. Buying a Dodge is gambling with a liar and a cheat and I cannot say this loudly or often enough:

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT.

:lgangry:

FWIW, if you have a Dodge 3.6l, 5.2l, or 5.9l the TSB's I am speakng of are 09-06-99 & 09-05-00. And FWIW, as of the first bulletin we were less than 1 year/15,000 miles into our highly touted 7yr/100k mile warranty.

17 answers to this question

I'm SHOCKED, seems you knew all about those TSB and never printed them to take to the dealer asking them to FIX those problems. That is not their problem and I am not trying to start a flame on you but it is the owners responsibilty to know those things and/or ask the dealer about known repair/updates.

Now I hope you have not been towing a big rig with that small truck, Dodge makes a super truck as does Ford for working with, diesel is best but even a V8 but a little Durango, never.

Or is this Durango like a standard SUV, either way not made as a work vehicle.

When I had my Dodge 250 it never had a problem, my Ford Super Duty never has a problem and I pulled 12,000 GVW fully loaded, at times a bit over loaded up hills. Sure both had diesels and that makes a difference.

Now I would never own a Chevy truck for pleasure or work but that is me, I don't like them.

Trade that in for a 250 3/4 ton truck, Ford or Dodge and take care of it and you will never have a problem.

As for those TSB I would stick them in the service managers face and say you failed to mention these to me and now look at my broken truck.

remember TSB are NOT RECALLS, they are to inform the dealers of certain POSSIBLE problems to call it to their attention, a dealer can chose to fix the TSB free or charge the customer.

durangos were pretty bad when they first came out......thats a fact, we have a "guy" at dodge, thats why we own 2 chyrsler trucks, 1500 4X4 and a Jeep GC Limited (love those heated seats this time of year), our guy who is pretty high up the food chain at dodge admits the durangos where crap early in their existence........I understand not being happy with a product and steering away, but in all reality, all american trucks are pretty similiar, no one company has quality control that really "blows away" another company (theres no real loyolty, these guys flip around from manufacturers)....the only trucks Ive literally had NO problems with have been foreign.....namely Toyota Trucks......which is why they cost more dollar for dollar, and they depreciate monthly as opposed to weekly for american made vehicles........

I had a 02 Dodge 1500 quad cab and let me tell you that truck was the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen. That was the first dodge I ever bought and I would never buy another. When I reached 60,000 miles everything under the sun went wrong with it. Front end, transmission, power options all went in about a 4 month period. I took it back to the dealership each time and had to fight with them each time to get them to fix on the bumper to bumper warranty, which they of course did not want to do. I have always owned Fords and had pretty good luck with them. I now own an 04 Ford F250 and haven't had a single problem with it. I also own an 04 and an 05 chevy vans and they have been great. I going to buy chevys from now on just because so far I had good luck and the dealership I bought them from has been very good to me. I had one call back on the 04 van and my dealership called me to ask me to bring it in.

Dodge 2500 diesel with the Bully Dog System (Bad Ass)! It has been an awesome truck, with no problems. Phillip, as much research as you do that terrible resale value on gas powered Dodges should have told you something.

Gas Motor = Chevy or Ford

Diesel Motor = Any of the 3

I have four trucks.

a 2006 F-250 with the 6.0. Brand new and arrest me red. I love it. One week and 1200 miles later, it is great.

2001 Excursion 7.3 diesel lost a tranny at 52000 miles, and brake problems that seem to be resolved. Still the ultimate cruiser, and it is a family car.

2000 F-250 7.3 diesel. 170,000 miles, and I have replaced a water pump, cam position sensor and brakes. All in all, absolutely trouble free, especially considering this was my main tow rig for 170,000 miles. It is still a great truck.

2004 F-250 with a 5.4 gas engine. Still a reliable truck, and is a good ride.

I almost forgot my 92 toyota. This truck with 170,000 miles on it has had more problems than my 00 ford, but it may have had a harder life. I have done clutches on it more than brakes. (No, I never drive this truck) It is getting retired to a life of 16 year old son leisure here pretty quick. My son is looking forward to it. It still looks almost new.

It is obvious I am a ford guy. They are what I have had excellent luck with, and I prefer the diesel, for whatever that is worth.

Scott

Never had a Dodge, but my buddy has a real nice 1500 and I love it. I've got a 2005 Ford escape limited, 94 Toyota pickup w/v6(bulletproof), and a 85 Chevy pickup w/a small block v8. I can say one thing about Dodges. My cousins ex-father in law's brothers uncle half sister's husband owns a repair shop that does fleet vehicles for major companies like chemlawn and such. He claims that he would go out of business if there were no Dodge trucks on the road.

I have a dodge 1500 4x4 very little problems at 75K, the only thing I replaced is one axle recently, but i use to beat the crap out of this truck. Dodge Ive heard does have alot of design problems and as for the Dodge Dakota, Ive never heard anything good about them at all, bad mechanically, bad on mileage etc etc.

Philip, that s--ks that you had to o through all that crap, its not right

JL

Keep this in mind about trucks when buying your next one.

3/4 & 1 ton trucks are built different then 1/2 ton truck.

Tranmissions, brakes, rear ends and suspension are bigger and have stronger and more gearing, why they are called Heavy or Super duty.

The whole truck is made for heavy duty work, not towing your boat around in.

Add to that a diesel and you can see why Dodge and Ford rank high on the list of trouble free WORK TRUCKS.

You really cannot compare a Super Duty diesel to the lowly 1/2 ton v8.

Not going to say Chevy is or is not a good truck, referring to the diesel but I can assure you if you do this test you will see why Ford and Dodge lead the pack of RVers.

While your driving the highway look around at all the travel trailers being towed and 5th wheels being pulled, most are Ford and Dodge 3/4 doing all that towing & pulling. Even dully's which are always 1 ton or higher.

Seldom will you see a Chevy towing a travel trailer or 5th wheel. And for sure none of the longer over 30 footers.

Before buying your next truck list all you will tow with it, not just equipment but total weight then compare what trucks can handle the job.

I say pay more for a WORK TRUCK and be happy instead of trying to save in the short run then end up with so much trouble.

Scott Stone has showed this to you, notice all his vehicles but one are Ford Diesel, that speaks pretty loud about quailty and what you can expect from a truck made to do the job.

I have an '01 Dodge 1500 4x4 with 132,000 miles. I had to replace the tranny at 100,000, other than that it's been good to me. I went with Dodge because I liked the look of them, and the last three Ford's I've owned have lost trannies. The last one was my wifes Windstar minivan with 50,000. I wish someone would build a reliable transmission. I thought about getting a Toyota Tundra until I heard of their crappy fuel mileage.

Look guys, I don't mean to start a ford/chevy/mopar turf war but this has to be said... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT.

Why? My 99 Durango just started skipping and won't stop despite all the usual maintainance items. After some online research, I found out that the 1qt/week oil consumption and knocking on everything but 93 octane problems that I have been experiencing for the last 5 years are a well known design flaw that has been documented in several technical service bulletins. A half dozen trips to the dealer for assorted issues (inc'l this one specifically) and each time they claimed nothing was wrong and it was a mystery to them. $900 to replace a pan gasket, $500+ in wasted oil, and countless wasted hours all because a $2.00 factory gasket was crap.

Now having been confronted with the issue head on they tell me that since I am NOW out of warranty the $8-900 repair is all mine. Buying a Dodge is gambling with a liar and a cheat and I cannot say this loudly or often enough:

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT.

:lgangry:

FWIW, if you have a Dodge 3.6l, 5.2l, or 5.9l the TSB's I am speakng of are 09-06-99 & 09-05-00. And FWIW, as of the first bulletin we were less than 1 year/15,000 miles into our highly touted 7yr/100k mile warranty.

You can find a lemon with any make. I have the 04 F150 and even though my truck has been okay, there are alot of people out there who have had so much trouble that they fought tooth and nail and had their trucks bought back by the dealer. Don't think it's just Dodge. I can't understand why a manufacture wants to always redesign stuff, with the exception of body styling, they could use tried and true engines and trannys instead of all this new fangled stuff that takes years to work the bugs out.

Look man I work for Dodge and I can tell you that no matter who makes something it can and will eventually break at some point. I will admitt too that durango was a crap because it was a throw together vehicle that chrysler people had been yelling they wanted. Okay next, if that truck has been in the dealer for the same problem several times and it was a warranty or tsb, they are required to fix that truck for free because 1. it's been there several times for that problem,2. it was under warranty at the time the problem happened 3.they knew of it,4.you may have lemon law on your side. Tell them to have the district manager or owner contact you on this explain what i have just said and you should be ok, good luck, i hate to hear this stuff from our big 3. please dont but a toyota or honda or nissan, hey i'll even give you a discount on a new ram or durango. send me an instant message on tgs. thanks

Lemon laws vary state to state so check yours out before you got back.

VERY IMPORTANT:

For any vehicle going in for any warranty problem, always and I STRESS ALWAYS take your paper work from before in and ALWAYS READ WHAT THEY PUT DOWN AS THE PROBLEM.

I SAY THIS AS THE LAW OF WORDS PLAYS HERE, IF IT IS NOT WORDED THE SAME THEN IT IS NOT THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE TAKING IT IN FOR.

Dealers know this and even though you take your vehicle in for say a faulty X line, they write it up that way and fix it. Six month go by and it goes bad again, you take it back and they write it up saying check Y lines for leaks or some other words.

They got you there, see they did not say FAULTY X LINES so you are not gettting the same thing checked.

Trust me as I went though this with my Dodge brakes, the second time I took it back at about 2000 miles they wrote something else down, I read it and said that is NOT what the problem is, it is the same as it was at 1000 miles, BRAKES and showed him the other paper insisting he put it down the same way.

Read your owners book and the lemon law book that came with it, someplace in there it will say something like SAME PROBLEM x number of times they have to offer you your money back or a new vehicle or something like that.

Again key word is same problem and to prove that your work/repair/warranty order has to show it is the same thing each and every time.

I would venture a guess none do, all say things that might sound or read close to the problem but to them it is not the same problem.

The manufacturers are to blame for this, not the dealers, they are told to do that.

Ask your insider at Dodge and see if he is willing to admit it. Bet he says I have no idea what your talking about or some other evasive reply.

Remember if it is mechanical or electronical it is going to go bad, this is not the 20's, 30s and 40s where things were made to last.

Anyone recall a car battery that would last forever?

Look at how many cars from those years are still running on all original equipment, model A's as an example.

hey Ford guys......

don't get too attached to your 6.0L motors, they're history here in a couple months. From what I've heard, they've been a nightmare. They are changing the Superduty body style for the 07's (this summer) and this spring some of the new trucks will have the new diesel motor. It is a 6.4 International, a motor that has been around for a while and is not a "shrunk down" motor. Don't know any specs on it though, been scouring the chat rooms, etc. but haven't found out anything.

BTW, love my 7.3L diesel, once you got diesel, it is tough to go back.

That is one reason I love my 7.3, heard about the new one and also the tranny is different too and lots of problems. Sheesh took them 2 years to figure out it was a major error.

Any idea what is coming out to replace it?

Is it just the engine or also the tranny?

hey Ford guys......

don't get too attached to your 6.0L motors, they're history here in a couple months. From what I've heard, they've been a nightmare. They are changing the Superduty body style for the 07's (this summer) and this spring some of the new trucks will have the new diesel motor. It is a 6.4 International, a motor that has been around for a while and is not a "shrunk down" motor. Don't know any specs on it though, been scouring the chat rooms, etc. but haven't found out anything.

BTW, love my 7.3L diesel, once you got diesel, it is tough to go back.

I also heard about that new motor . When they come out with it I'll get a new truck. I buy a new truck every year anyhow.