Sign in to follow this  
JFife

age of restoration

Question

30 answers to this question

Jon, call Russell. Just splitting hairs here but watch over applcation of acid. It will remove too much of the woods natural sugars and you will get about 75 sq/ft per gallon coverage on your sealer. Been there done that.. The keys I have found are rinse, rinse and rinse again. Apply oxallic at 5 oz per gallon and then re-rinse.

If thats the case Jon, then I am glad the networking here could help you in the process.

Thanks for the praise but I feel I am still learning like everyone else here and am glad to share what I can for others to benefit from.

Rod!~

I do think you nailed this one, Rod.

Ken, I've never heard that concept. A high conc. of acid essentially creates a more porous substrate?? If that is the case....what is the downside?? Obviously, you'd have a greater usage of product, but that would mean deeper penetration, and more solids to re-bulk the wood fibers with. If you are a proponent of oil base theory, I'd think this would be a good thing.

Russ----thoughts?? (if you see this, i plan to call you tomorrow with some wrapi Q's if that is ok)

I am a proponent of being as gentle to the wood as I can be (which is why I am shifting over to Citrallic this season) Russell will give you some 411 on what actually happens with acids but the main downfall for me was the increased useage of sealer. We might clean and seal 75,000 square feet of wood per season. If I get 50 less sf/gallon that costs me approximately $12,000. Not too smart and a cost I can't exactly absorb or pass on to my customer.