Sign in to follow this  
Richard Ivy

Can purified water damage pwers?

Hi all,

I use purified water to clean windows here in the UK.

There is an assumption here that pure water (000 TDS) can damage the internal workings of pressure washers.

Is this view shared in the US among pw users?

Thanks for your opinions.

Richard

Is purified the same as deionized? There are a lot of people that use DI water to clean cars at car lots. Leaves a spot free rinse without towelling the cars off. If they are the same, then no as some of these guys have deionizing units on their trucks.

Nope, you all are wrong.

DI water causes Hydrogen embrittlement in the pump. If you take a pump apart after having run DI water through it for a while, the brass will be red. This is because the DI water robs the head of metals because water wants those metals. It ends up making the brass parts really brittle. It wil often take a couple of years though, so I don't worry about it. It also attacks heater coils and will put pin holes in them, along with rust. This is bad, especially when you are washing cars because your pressure washer will spray out black water, which is filled with rust. when it drys you will have little brown spots all over the cars.

Scott Stone

It also attacks heater coils and will put pin holes in them, along with rust. This is bad, especially when you are washing cars because your pressure washer will spray out black water, which is filled with rust. when it drys you will have little brown spots all over the cars.

Scott Stone

That's when a little scale comes in handy....insulates the iron pipe.

Who purified it? A catholic preist, a baptist preacher, or a budist monk? Different secular purifications can cause rust in unclean pressure washers.

Daaammm Scott, you one smart cleaner ! ..

most techs never figure that one out !!

..You nailed the reason the metal is affected in the pumps,

but that also explains the problem in the heater coils..

the purified water cleans the rust off the inside of the coil, allowing the steel to rust faster than normal.

.. I rescued a chain of rental yards that had been "sold on" using Soft Water to feed their pressure washers,

and de-I for rinsing.. those heater coils were lasting only 2 to 3 years..

What really apalled me, was realizing that manufacturer was delivering schedule 40 coils in those machines too !

..What a scam !!

that happened in 1986

That incident made me REALLY try to stand-out as different from the "typical" supplier.

While I'm on the subject..

many "service centers" promote descaling the coil every year..

I promote "limited hard-water scale"..

If you clean the coil, it will rust faster.. I don't condone that as a method of marketing.

If you allow a limited amount of calcium to "coat" the inside of the coil, it keeps the water off the steel, and prolongs the life of the coil.

Of course, if there's too much, the coil is blocked, and you loose pressure.

You can monitor the scale, by occasionally looking inside the fitting on the outlet side of the coil..

If you see light scale, and NO rust, you're good.

if you see rust, do a descale, then circulate a cheep soap through the coil, to form a protective layer.

..and NEVER use purified water through your coil..

put a Quick coupler between the unloader and heater,

.. so you can pump out rinse water before the heater.

Better yet, use ball valves.