Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

I have to redo someone else' work

Question

This deck has already been stripped and pressure washed by another firm.

The customer said that it was all Behr products originally.

The customer applied a 33 sq ft section of handrail with Behr sealer, and called it quits.

The deck has been exposed to the elements unprotected ( exception...33sqft of handrail) for approx 4 months.

I had given him a bid to re-do the entire project which I am almost certain I will close on.

I also know that I can improve on the work done by the previous PW firm.

I am sure I can get the 33sq ft section stripped with no problem and am confident that I can get both sections to closely match it's natual finish (with a little luck).

How can I get the deep penetrated charcoal grill drippings from within the wood.

This deck is the lower 16x20 section of a joining upper enclosed deck.

Plus stairs.

I have not been able to successfully ever lift this type of stain to a "natural finish''

Sorry I don't have a pic, but this deck also has a very large and very tall tree that comes up through the floor of the deck. Very nice deck job.....

I can re-clean it and strip it 4 month old sealer confidently, but the charcoal has me a bit worried that the customer might not be completely satisfied,

as myself.

20 answers to this question

How can I get the deep penetrated charcoal grill drippings from within the wood.

Adrian,

I have had some luck just using some S/H stripper on those grease spots.Just let it dwell and you might have to scrub to aggitate it.You might have to you use multiple applications of stripper to remove it.

I don't know how bad they are but that's about all you can do.Sanding might offer little help as the grease has soaked in to the wood.

Good luck on removing that Behr since it hasn't been on the wood for too long.If it's the SILLYcone Behr that stuff sticks to the wood real good and can be harder to take off than older failing stains.

Did you do a test spot?

Yeah , I can get the berh off, and you are right, it is still a little sticky.

I have never liked using berh but that's what I will use to take it off. I have used berh stripper before on berh sealer with good results. As far as recleaning the rest of the deck , it will be a piece of cake since it is still clean for the most part. My mix should brighten it up pretty good. And if the stripper does it's job well enough I will have a pretty good overall match.

Steve suggested HD-80 for the charcoal stains, with surefooted confidence that it should come close to 90% natural. Those are good enough #'s for me.

( I guess I just missed the guys at Sun brite Steve, but thanks so much for your help)

Shane, do you think the berh stripper is the way to go? I am trying to keep the "same name " products as they are geared for each other, plus the advantage is I still have some of that stripper left over from another 'Berh" project.

If not then point me in the right direction.

Yeah , I can get the berh off, and you are right, it is still a little sticky.

I have never liked using berh but that's what I will use to take it off. I have used berh stripper before on berh sealer with good results. As far as recleaning the rest of the deck , it will be a piece of cake since it is still clean for the most part. My mix should brighten it up pretty good. And if the stripper does it's job well enough I will have a pretty good overall match.

Steve suggested HD-80 for the charcoal stains, with surefooted confidence that it should come close to 90% natural. Those are good enough #'s for me.

( I guess I just missed the guys at Sun brite Steve, but thanks so much for your help)

Shane, do you think the berh stripper is the way to go? I am trying to keep the "same name " products as they are geared for each other, plus the advantage is I still have some of that stripper left over from another 'Berh" project.

If not then point me in the right direction.

if ya cant get it right away call me ill get hd -80 to

Adrian,

For Behr that age, mix the HD-80 full strength. You might need to let it dwell a while, depends on the temps there now. The warmer the day, the better. Over 50 degrees is best...chems are slower in lower temps. Take a stir stick or wand tip and scratch at it as it dwells. You are looking of it to break so you see bear wood. (you probably knew that) Do not be surprised if you need a 30 minute dwell on this. Patience will get the Behr off the deck... Keep product moist with more product. Apply via pump up, shure flow or deckster type sprayer.

Hope this helps.

Beth

p.s. we use Citralic to neutralize, but if you have oxylic on hand that works just fine...we do rinse when done.

Thank you, That is the first thing I said to myself is that it will need about an hour of dwell time whatever product I use. The seal itself is just old enough to not leave a residue on the fingertips, but does not yet fell rock solid to the touch. The weather should be ok, high 40's to mid 50's. I have had good results with Northerns nuetralizer it has oxylic init's mix. I really wish I hadn't forgotten the digi camera for a pic. But, if HD-80 will strip the seal and lift most of the charcoal stains, it sounds like one- stop shopping to me.

I guess while I am getting some good info (as always) i need to ask about a good brand pumper. I really like the backback style, but I go through alot of sprayers and wonder if backpacks are better or last longer than handheld.

Tips always clog at some point and they become useless.

Thanks again

Thank you, That is the first thing I said to myself is that it will need about an hour of dwell time whatever product I use. The seal itself is just old enough to not leave a residue on the fingertips, but does not yet fell rock solid to the touch. The weather should be ok, high 40's to mid 50's. I have had good results with Northerns nuetralizer it has oxylic init's mix. I really wish I hadn't forgotten the digi camera for a pic. But, if HD-80 will strip the seal and lift most of the charcoal stains, it sounds like one- stop shopping to me.

I guess while I am getting some good info (as always) i need to ask about a good brand pumper. I really like the backback style, but I go through alot of sprayers and wonder if backpacks are better or last longer than handheld.

Tips always clog at some point and they become useless.

Thanks again

when you call jimmy ask him for the pump bottle he has there to

On the grill stain it may help to agitate with a brush after applying HD-80 and hit just that area with warm water (80*-90*) to help draw out more of the grease and oils when you wash.

you will have to sand this area a little when you come back to seal but it will give you a pretty good result the homeowner will appreciate.

Rod!~

This is an update on the re-do deck job. I am going to try and not flub up posting a few pics. I am very pleased with the results of the HD-80. I did have to scrub just a little bit for the grill stains and the existing sealer. Overall I liked the finished result. I also gave the customer a free sample on his long overdue driveway ( about 150 sqft.) Hopefully he will accept the bid for that as well. Please forgive the pictures as it is not my forte. My goal was to get back as much of the "Blonde" look as possible. Plus the deck is still a little wet after the rinse, but definately a big improvement.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

post-1033-13777215112_thumb.jpg

post-1033-137772151126_thumb.jpg

post-1033-137772151132_thumb.jpg

I started at 10:15 this am and finished rolling up at 2:45.

Yes I thought the same thing about the drive as well. But I can always put the dirt back if he doesn't like it.lol. It is actually a very very long driveway and this section is past his carport and house. As far as the upkeep in general, the homeowner is pretty lazy, and the whole place needs a facelift, but, I betcha I get that driveway and he ends up paying my mortgage for Feb.

I let it dwell for about 25-30 min on the handrails and started working the deck on one end and kept applying as the other sections were trying to dry on me. HD-80 works pretty darn good as the sealer on the rails was only 3-4 months old and still a little gooey. I didn't mix real strong to avoid the fuzzies.

Quick tip: I use a paint mesh strainer to pour through as I fill the sprayer to avoid debris entering the bottle and soon into the tip. It takes a minute longer to do this but saves me much time in aggravation and repeated attempts to unclog the darn thing. :taz:

Rod!~

ps, paper clips are such a cheap declogging tool too! ;)