Sign in to follow this  
JEAPAINT

How do you deal with the sun?

Question

Most products say not to apply in direct sunlight.

What do you do if you have a deck that faces south and gets direct sun all day long?

Do you create shade with a tarp?

Wait for a cloudy day?

Just curious as to haow others deal with a problem like this.

Doug

12 answers to this question

I never worried about it and never had a problem either.

Ken, 6 am?! People up here would KILL us if we showed up at that time!

They would kill us down here as well, considering it doesn't get light out until 7:00am.

And Ready Seal will stay "wet" and on those southern oriented decks can be picked up by bare feet and tracked into the house. Don't shoot the messenger, just telling you what I experienced.

You can also use Wood Tux and keep the cool and moist with hose and sprayer.

All you can do is start early A.M or late in the afternoon if it's a small deck.I deal with it every summer here in Texas but my only problem are that my decks avg.1500 -2000 sqft it's hard to start late P.M

Like Ken said work in small areas till you get your 2 coats backpadded etc.

The stain flashing and drying fast in heat is just the nature of the beast when using an oil base stain.

I did hear of guys laying tarps to cool the wood 20 min or so before you stain.You just have to make sure the wood doesn't sweat and hold moisture.

Ken , I 've been using Ready Seal for over 10 years and not once has anyone tracked in sealer. It"s up to the person appling the oil to tell the customer what to watch out for. It wasn't Ready Seals or the customers fault If you don't understand how to use the product.

It wasn't Ready Seals or the customers fault If you don't understand how to use the product.
Jim, This is a pretty ignorant statement. I am not saying you are but the statement is. I keep hearing that you must learn 'how' to use the product but that is in direct contradiction to the products slogan "goof proof" which implies anyone can use it and get the results as labeled. This is clearly not the case as I have heard, read and experienced all too much controversy where this is concerned and the fact that anyone would publicly make this statement after someone has posted an experience with it for others to be aware of is not setting a very good example of integrity for the product.

Instead, how about sharing how to avoid the problem and helping the product? Otherwise, you are playing a card that others may see as deception and ruining the image.

I myself have used this product and noticed that it does not dry, and given a temperature drop causes the wood to exude the stain for exposure to the situation Ken noted.

Is this mine or Ken's fault the product didn't dry? Is it either of ours fault that the wood pushed it back out? Is it my fault perhaps because I applied it to saturation as I was told in order to get the color to last for more than an hour after application? Or is it the customers fault that they waited the time specified and the product didn't set up like they were told to expect?

Come on Jim, anyone who is in this business will tell the customer the time period for drying which is standard at 24 hours to 48 hours if is it really humid. I cannot respect a statement like what you have made because it demeans the applicator in preference to a product that isn't 100% perfect and has a track record of problems associated with it. Need I mention them?

Now, in respect for you Jim, if that is not what you meant, I will entertain an elaboration for clarification. Proceeding from what you have posted and the position of your posts in the past regarding this product I can only draw from it literally with this understanding of your history and position with ready seal.

People would love to hear from someone with 10 years experience applying this product and not encountering any problems. We have seen photos of your work and they look great. Do ready seal a favor and share your technique for all to benefit from.

Rod!~

As standard practice, I always tell customers 48 hours before using a deck after it has been stained. During extreme humid conditions, I also tell them it may take longer to dry, and to exercise caution so as not to track into the house, just in case it's still tacky......which hasn't happened often for me.