Sign in to follow this  
JFife

Any Gamers???

Question

I have my brother in town for an extended vacation, and we'd like to get back into gaming, as I am working on my home theatre sound system, I'd like to get some good games to put it to work.

I, however, have not gamed since Nintendo 64 when I dominated those around me at .007. So we'd like to get back into some good shooting/killing games like 007. I know things are MUCH better now, but I am out of the loop.

So, what I'd like, are suggestions on Systems (ie playstation, xbox) and then a few games that you like, preferably "mission/military" style games, etc.

34 answers to this question

Jon

PS2 if you want the better selection of games...SOCOM3 Navy Seals is a great game...they have a great Online play too!

The new XBOX 360 probally has better graphics but i think it's over priced now.The prices will come down in a year or so like all electronics..:rolleyes:

You need to buy you a bad A$$ gaming PC or let me build you one ;)

I've been playing this PC game called "FEAR" and it's the best first person shooter game!There is also a free game for PC called "America's Army" you go thru basic training and earn your way thru the Army it's pretty cool!

Seymore is right about the ps2, but a fair warning if u play Socom u better get ya a fresh crack pipe. Do U play seymore, what is ur screen name and I will add u to my friends list, I play all the time. My screen name is budwiser. yes there is a dot after it, some ass stole my name in the switch to 3.

Seymore is right about the ps2, but a fair warning if u play Socom u better get ya a fresh crack pipe.

Watch it Steve don't burn yourself on that pipe..:lolsign:

I have it but haven't played online in a while and my network card fried on me and i haven't got another one.Lately I've been trying to figure out the game FEAR it's a hard A$$ game with unbelievable graphics!!

Ever since I built my ultimate gaming PC it makes PS2 graphics look like Atari back in the day!

My fav PS2 game is Gran Turismo 4 the BEST driving game...It's the best realistic racing simulation game there is.Oh and also the best sports game is Madden i've been playing that since the 90's on Sega.

Shans, have you ever played Burnout 3 Takedown - Sweet game. BTW I love Gran Turismo too. Burnout 3 is like Gran Turismo's bratty little brother!

Never played Burnout i've heard of it but never tried it.I also have Formula 1 racing which is a very hard to control the cars.

I also like the NHL hockey games they are a killer on the thumbs tho..:D

an oldie but goodie: tekken tag team

madden 2006, college football 2006

both of you will probably want to play at the same time, and with a sports or fighting game you can.

i cant believe tekken tag team isnt available to play online

Shane--

I saw you just built your comp. for around $1500 or so........that makes me sick, I just bought a new comp. at BestBuy a week ago for $1000----I should have had you make me a BEAST!!

....So it sounds like SOCOM3/PS2 is the way to go?? Is there anything wrong with buying used games/systems?? I know used is always a risk, but would you guys do it?? Can you get wireless controls??

.....after re-reading, are you guys playing socom on ps2 or online?????

Shane--

I saw you just built your comp. for around $1500 or so........that makes me sick, I just bought a new comp. at BestBuy a week ago for $1000----I should have had you make me a BEAST!!

....So it sounds like SOCOM3/PS2 is the way to go?? Is there anything wrong with buying used games/systems?? I know used is always a risk, but would you guys do it?? Can you get wireless controls??

.....after re-reading, are you guys playing socom on ps2 or online?????

You can probally play games on your pc now..most new computers have enough power 2 ghz or above and 512MB or more of RAM.

It depends on your video card how well you can play games.

My guess is what you have now is built in on the motherboard and if that's not enough video power you can always add a video card for a good price.It's also VERY easy to install a video card.

What was the model pc you bought?

I would trust a newer used video game before i would a used PS2.You never know what someone could have spilled on the game..dropped it etc.

Oh wireless controllers RULE and @$40 ea. they are worth every penny!!

Yes you can play SOCOM online and even use a headset and talk to the other players.Now all you will need is a network adapter " sold seperatly" that installs in the back of the PS2.Plug your high speed Ethernet cable into it ..register etc and you're good to go..:cool:

I'm a playstation junkie as well, a great way to get away from the craziness. I'm addicted to the RPG games from Square software like Final Fantasy and Star Ocean. These are games that you save your progress as you play along the storyline, much like a movie.

Don't buy used PC games if you intend to play them online. Most (and that means all) games today require a key to access the networks, and once the key has been registered you usually will not be able to use it for another user. People will buy games when they are new (remember the hype over Doom 3 awhile back??), copy the CD and continue to run on the original key and sell the game back to a shop (like EB Games).

I've had PS2 for awhile now and really like it. It's best on a screen that is 32" or smaller, though. Once you get larger than that unless you sit farther away the graphics get a little fuzzy (I've tried on my 46" HD projection and 32" HD LCD with same effects). Supposedely XBox 360 will support component video (instead of composite) and will give fantastic graphics. I'm a hardcore PS supporter but I've got to hand it to microsoft on some of the features in the Xbox...I get jealous of some of the features on my brothers Xbox (like copying CDs to the hard drive to play music during games).

You should get a Silent Hill game for whatever system you get and play it in the dark with your surround sound system...you'll crap a brick with some of the creepy noises in the game. And to think they are breathing down your neck....ooooohhhh....great adrenaline rush.

Metal Gear series is good. Both of these are single player though and not much fun for two.

so is socom for two or just one?? I hate to hear the graphics won't be real good on my 57", but I'll live. On socom, are you fighting together against an enemy, or fighting each other?? I guess I don't see how that could work if playing it online with others.

good tip Ryan on the buying pc games and needing a code....

Shane, my comp. is a Gateway 4010. I am seriously illiterate with computers.....that is why I got it at Bestbuy, if I'd have gone to a local store they could have had their way with me and I'd have never known better.

Ever since I built my ultimate gaming PC it makes PS2 graphics look like Atari back in the day!

My fav PS2 game is Gran Turismo 4 the BEST driving game...It's the best realistic racing simulation game there is.Oh and also the best sports game is Madden i've been playing that since the 90's on Sega.

Oh yeah, the difference between PC graphics and a game console hooked to a regular TV is huge, which is why I don't own a game console!

I love first person shooter games (Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc), flight sim combat games (there aren't really any recent good ones that I know of) and racing games (The entire Need For Speed series, particularly the Porche game, the Underground series, and the most recent, NFS Most Wanted). The last three NFS games have all been awesome!

Do NOT buy "Cold War". It SUCKS with a capital SUCKS!

Another type of game I've found I love are strategy games...Command & Conquer Generals, and other that is pretty cool is "Rome,Total War".

I haven't done any online gaming since Duke Nukem, so I can't really talk intelligently about that!

Jon you can get a hi def cables "RGB" for PS2 and play the games at the best resolution you can...Look in the back of your t.v and see if you have red,blue,green inputs and you're good to go.

Jon Gateway 4010 are there any letters like FX or anything like that?

I didn't see a Gateway model 4010 on Best buy's site.hmmm

You can probally play games on your pc now..most new computers have enough power 2 ghz or above and 512MB or more of RAM.

It depends on your video card how well you can play games.

The monitor also makes a big difference...I have a Samsung Syncmaster 930b, which has an 8ms refresh rate...very fast, but they now have a similar monitor with a 4ms refresh rate. Great for fast action games.

My guess is what you have now is built in on the motherboard and if that's not enough video power you can always add a video card for a good price.It's also VERY easy to install a video card.

Just keep in mind that you need to make sure whatever video card you buy will work in your machine. If it is a PCI card, you should be fine, but there's also AGP2x, AGP 4x, AGP 8x, and PCI Express. Just make sure what type of slot you have open on your motherboard before you buy the card. Nothing as discouraging as getting home with a hot new video card only to find out it won't work!

Just make sure what type of slot you have open on your motherboard before you buy the card. Nothing as discouraging as getting home with a hot new video card only to find out it won't work!

I made that mistake a long time ago buying a AGP card for a PCI slot..:rolleyes:

That monitor sounds bad A$$ MIke....I'm using a Envision 19"LCD flat screen it's not too bad but i only paid $150 for a reg price of $350 so i couldn't pass it up.