Sign in to follow this  
JimCrossley

Bridge over troubling water

Question

Just thought I would share how we approached an interesting wood project. The pictures are of a bridge connecting a visitor’s parking lot to a condo in Atlanta. We finished stripping and staining a bridge over a small stream a while ago but I have been a little busy lately so I didn’t get a chance to post this earlier. We used HD80 for stripping off some DIY junk and Ready Seal for the stain; medium brown. Except for a three hour period during the staining of the floor, we kept the bridge open for traffic. We started the project before Christmas and we had a lot of UPS and FedEx deliveries to contend with.

The major concern for us was not contaminating the stream with junk or stain.

We place a large piece of plastic under the bridge on the right hand side and finished all of the handrails on that side. We sprayed form the outside to the inside and hand brushed the entire inside railings so as not to spray out beyond our plastic drop cloth below. Then we moved the plastic drop cloth and repeated the process for the left hand side. Just in case there was any overspray which was not caught by our tarp under the bridge, we placed an oil catch boom down stream about 20 yards.

I won’t bore you with the after pictures, it turned out great. I wanted this post to be all about how to approach a problem over water. Over all looking back, it was a fun project to have completed and the Board of Directors for the condo association was very happy.

post-408-137772151187_thumb.jpg

post-408-137772151193_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

John, we captured on the bank the run off as it came off the plastic. I think we spent more time positioning the plastic than we need to but we don't do this kind of project very often, which is a good thing. To our surprise there was not a whole lot of junk as it had been some number of years since the bridge was stained. I had most of the spindels over the water sanded by hand by some cheap labor I found hanging out at Home Depot.