Sign in to follow this  
Pivster29

Is this a scam?

I got a letter in the mail from Internet Corporation Listing Services, (www.icls.com) for 35 bucks I could put my website on 14 search engines. What they want you to do is send a check in the mail then they will send you info back on what to do next. I wanted to call and ask a few questions but there is no number and I sent them an e-mail but with no reply. My question is, has anybody tried this or is it a scam, and are there any other fees associated with this,(you know the amount of visitors, or pay per click)? I don't want to send a check in the mail and then see charges on my bank account later.

Not trying to be short with you but no phone number, no return email (ie no customer service) sounds pretty fishy to me.. Not to mention that you cannot get placement on Google unless you pay for per click advertising. The websites that they they will advise you to submit to are probably already free to do so. Keep the thirty five in your pocket.

Hey I am 100% with Pressure Pro on this one. There are too many too good to be true offers out there. No contact info probably means you will never see that $$ again. BIG RED FLAG

I'd move on and forget it

Forget the money. It may or may not be a scam, but it's a terrible idea for your website. I'll say this once loud and clear: ** Avoid any company that offers to submit your site to search engines (pay or free) **

1. You can submit your own site for free at every reputable search engine. Just go to the site and look for the link. All they want is a URL, they will figure the rest out.

2. Automated submissions set off "garbage" flags at many SE's.

3. Repeat submissions (auto or manual) will get you blackballed.

4. If you have a site, and that site appears as a link on any other cataloged site you will be found. If that site is in your tagline here, you will get found as TGS is reasonable well regarded by google.

5. One manual submission you should definitely make is to dmoz.org