Sign in to follow this  
eads

Homebrew

Question

51 answers to this question

I have used it on some cleanings. NaOH in strength can strip paint so you have to be careful. It is more effective on dirt and road grime that bleach won't touch.

Sodium metasilicate is a much better choice. It cuts dirt quickly. Sodium hydroxide will warp some vinyl siding.

Is this similar to sodium hydroxide? How much would you mix in a 5 gal bucket of housewash mix?

For those who make there own housewash mix have you ever added sodium hydroxide?

yes, i have...it will cause the dirt and mildew to "fly" off the house as soon as it hits the siding,

the problem is though that it can turn the grass yellow and do plant damage and you would need eye protection and a chem suit. plus, the added cost

of using it. not a good idea, i think, if your bleach soap mixture gets it clean then why do you really

need to add it.

Theres a house that I'm scheduled to clean next week. Its a 94 yr old house. I imagine it hasnt been painted, cleaned, or anything else for some time and it has a lot of dirt, mildew and spiderweb build up on it. From my past experience with these type of houses in this condition it takes longer to finish the job. I wanted to add something that will give me that kick that you speak of Aquabob. How much sodium hydoxide are you using that you would need a chem suit?

i use about 18oz per gal mixed in seperate tank then mixed it with bleach and soap through injectors at 10:1 and into float tank, then hit it at 10:1, i

think the overall ratio was about 20:1 with the

hydroxide.

i had a house today alot like you are describing but not as old.

it came clean with regular mix but with more rinse time with webs and bug deposits.

it will get it clean, if you need to add it for one job go for it, just remember to take the plants and

your eyes in consideration.

Sunbrite has a degreaser called Power House that has both sodium hydroxide and sodium meta-silicate in addition to butyl ingredients. It makes an excellent house wash.

In addition to the other ingredients, I use about 16oz per 3-2/3 gal of water. It acts with the bleach to work on mildew and algae faster so I don't have to use such a strong bleach concentration. This is how I get by on 6-7% bleach.

Rod!~

I think a good soap adds synergistically to the effects of sodium hypochlorite. My final solution hitting most siding is in the 1.5-2% range and I have not had any problems whatsoever removing fairly heavy growth.

Sunbrite has a degreaser called Power House that has both sodium hydroxide and sodium meta-silicate in addition to butyl ingredients. It makes an excellent house wash.

In addition to the other ingredients, I use about 16oz per 3-2/3 gal of water. It acts with the bleach to work on mildew and algae faster so I don't have to use such a strong bleach concentration. This is how I get by on 6-7% bleach.

Rod!~

I downstream 10.5% Sodium Hypochlorite at approx. 20%, meaning I'm getting roughly 2% SH on the house, and that works great for most applications. I don't even get 6-7% when I'm Xjetting.

I just ordered a drumkit of Sunbrite's Citrus Cleaner, which is supposed to be very close to Citracleen. I'll report back once I get a chance to use it on various jobs.

I'm looking for a better house wash too. Is there anything that will really make it so you don't have to scrub the mold off or use high pressure?

Yes. Really.

Right now I'm using Citracleen from Rowlett Pressure. I'm going to be trying Sunbrite's citrus cleaner this month. Others have raved about Espec's Emulsifier plus, Sunbrite's powerhouse, and many others. The thing is, soap alone won't work efficiently on mold...you need some sort of algeacide...most of us use pool chlorine or bleach.

Yes. Really.

Right now I'm using Citracleen from Rowlett Pressure. I'm going to be trying Sunbrite's citrus cleaner this month. Others have raved about Espec's Emulsifier plus, Sunbrite's powerhouse, and many others. The thing is, soap alone won't work efficiently on mold...you need some sort of algeacide...most of us use pool chlorine or bleach.

I'm using Citracleen as well and love the product. I rarely have to scrub anything and I use very little pressure.

Mike - I would be interested to here how the Sunbrite citrus cleaner works. I saw it on their web site and wondered if it was like Citracleen.

Mike

I'm using Citracleen as well and love the product. I rarely have to scrub anything and I use very little pressure.

Mike - I would be interested to here how the Sunbrite citrus cleaner works. I saw it on their web site and wondered if it was like Citracleen.

Mike

Will do! From what I understand from them, it is VERY similar (which I'm taking to mean it's basically the same). We'll see! The price is a good bit cheaper.

Will do! From what I understand from them, it is VERY similar (which I'm taking to mean it's basically the same). We'll see! The price is a good bit cheaper.

Thanks Mike.

Rod!~

Can you post hte link to sunbrite?

Rod!~

Rod, tell me more about your ratios (offline if you prefer). I too have used Power House (here at PowerHouse), and wasn't particularly excited about the results. But since you and others seem to have a very different result, perhaps it's the process. 16oz with 3.66 gal h20 and how much bleach? Is that 6% cut 2:1 with an xjet (i.e. 1.5%) or cut 1:5 downstream?

As an altername, I've been using a local product called DewBrite at 40:1 and 0.8% bleach. Both of those measures are TTW and are fed into the line through an xjet at 15:1 mix ratio.

Pete,

Please feel free to jump in here. I like everything else I get from SunBrite, but I'm just not getting what I want from PowerHouse as I use it now. I am also very interested in hearing more about the citrus cleaner.

Everyone else,

Anyone know how to use the 50# box of emulsifier plus I inherited? I have contacted the espec and they either send me a catalog with very vauge directions or the phone person reads that to me. Just "add 2 gallons of product to 3 Gallons of Bleach". Then what?

Please feel free to jump in here. I like everything else I get from SunBrite, but I'm just not getting what I want from PowerHouse as I use it now. I am also very interested in hearing more about the citrus cleaner.

Everyone else,

Anyone know how to use the 50# box of emulsifier plus I inherited? I have contacted the espec and they either send me a catalog with very vauge directions or the phone person reads that to me. Just "add 2 gallons of product to 3 Gallons of Bleach". Then what?

I'll let you know how I like the citrus cleaner. Just got it yesterday (had to go pick it up an hour south of here where it was erroneously shipped!)

I believe Tony uses emulsifier...maybe he can jump in here with how to mix the stuff. I assume that's a drum kit of some sort.

I'll let you know how I like the citrus cleaner. Just got it yesterday (had to go pick it up an hour south of here where it was erroneously shipped!)

I believe Tony uses emulsifier...maybe he can jump in here with how to mix the stuff. I assume that's a drum kit of some sort.

Have you had the opportunity to use this yet. If so what are your thoughts on it

Mix 3/4 pound of E plus per gallon of water.mix 2 gallons e plus with 3 gallons 12% and I then downstream 12:1. Works great. No real problems with windows or shrubs.

I like E Plus but am very interested in the citrus cleaner from sunbrite as well. Anyone have a review on it? Mike?

Thanks