Sign in to follow this  
Larry B

Better Business Bureau

I am not very good at searching old posts, so I thought I would ask any of you if you are members? Do you feel it is worth it as well? Do you think you have gotten a job because of it?

Thanks,

Larry

The networking would be worth it. Im going to join this year. I looked at my local BBB websight and all the Board of director & dozens of officers of the BBB here are all in the PM, Realty, & commercial businesses. I figure go to meeting & get togethers that they offer and strart shaking hands and passing out cards

Plus I think they have welcome packs for new homeowners & businesses in the area

It may cost alittle but networking with leaders in your area can pay off

JL

You actually have to be asked by the BBB to become a member, but, ..... you can ask for the application and get that process out of the way and it will put you ahead of the ones that don't have app's yet.

You actually have to be asked by the BBB to become a member, but, ..... you can ask for the application and get that process out of the way and it will put you ahead of the ones that don't have app's yet.

The way I understood it is you put in the application & pay the $$$ and your in, theres different levels , Thats what I was told by them

You do have to be asked and meet the basic requirements for your industry. You also can't have any complaints against you. I am trying to figure out if it is a good investment for $514.00

You do have to be asked and meet the basic requirements for your industry. You also can't have any complaints against you. I am trying to figure out if it is a good investment for $514.00

Look at there website mine around here has a list of board of Directors, officers members with alot of #'s etc. Theres dozens of names that are heads of companies, PM's rest. etc. Alot of pretty big names & companies. They also have several different kinds of get togethers, networking etc. I am going to join just to meet these people and have the BBB sticker in my ads & on my trailer.

But the networking would be great around here at least. I figure you get to meet these people and they see your a member and they might prefer to use a fellow member and your input might better your community. It looks like another tool for me, If I have time to go to these functions

JL

Why join (and pay money) to a group that is essentially a resource for people to tattle on you?? If you aren't a member, I don't believe they register complaints against you, but if you are a member, they do?? ....And they'll mediate for you, to what they think is fair. What if I stained a deck for someone, the client calls the bbb after 1 1/2 yrs and says, "the deck floor has faded, it should have lasted two years, that is what my new contractor is telling me", then you've got some mediator holding you accountable to make a reasonable resolution.

...I just don't have that 'please the customer at any cost mentality', that is probably while I'll never get rich.

.....but I have thought of creating the essential "complete opposite" of the BBB, a place where guys like us can report crap customers. Sounds fair, eh?

Why join (and pay money) to a group that is essentially a resource for people to tattle on you?? If you aren't a member, I don't believe they register complaints against you, but if you are a member, they do?? ....And they'll mediate for you, to what they think is fair. What if I stained a deck for someone, the client calls the bbb after 1 1/2 yrs and says, "the deck floor has faded, it should have lasted two years, that is what my new contractor is telling me", then you've got some mediator holding you accountable to make a reasonable resolution.

...I just don't have that 'please the customer at any cost mentality', that is probably while I'll never get rich.

.....but I have thought of creating the essential "complete opposite" of the BBB, a place where guys like us can report crap customers. Sounds fair, eh?

Apparently there's already such a site like you described. It was recently metioned in another post, but I'm not sure where.

You know I'm a DUMBASS, this whole time Im talking about the BBB I was meaning the Chamber of Commerce DAAAAAA

The websight I was talking about was our Local Chamber Of Comm and that was what I want to join SORRYYYYY

So as for the BBB never mindddd:lgbonk: :confused:

JL dumbass

My brother-in-law worked for the BBB for a short time as a salesman. He said it wasn't worth joining. I did belong to a CC when I had a different business several years ago. The networking was great.

Once a month they would have a Happy Hour meeting & they where real nice in the Tides Inn, which I believe is a 5 star resort here in Lancaster County VA.

I am in the process of rejoining with my PW business. Most of the members are professionals and networking is the way to go. I spoke with a franchise PW owner in Lynchburg Va. & he stated most of his commerical work came from his CC.

I am glad to see this discussion, as BBB has contacted me severl times over the past few months. My wife has said pretty much the same, that ii is not really worth the $$.

I am sure it may have its benefits, but not sure how to measure how much return yuo'd get for the $$. I guess if you look at it as $515/12months = $43/month for the previledge of having BBB logo and support

It has advantages if a potential customer uses the BBB to screen businesses, but I am not sure if any of them really do or not. You can have your your name come up in a search of BBB members and then a link to your webiste will be included in the results. That part I am sure would help.

$500 is not huge money but it is more than the cost to join most groups/orgs.

I'm still of the opinion that for the money, you'd be better served to join the Home Builders Association - this type org is stuffed full of realtors, bankers, closing attorneys, BUILDERS, etc... Although it's designed for the "building" community, all of those successful real estate agents can be sold on curb appeal, all of those lovely lawyers own homes.....We paid $350 for a year. Within the first month our return paid for membership for 15 more years. Go figure :) Oh, and also at these meetings, along with the socialization, they have planned speakers and other industry specific things that sometimes can affect our profession.

Celeste

Other thing....not knocking the Chamber get togethers, but our Chamber gatherings don't feed us dinner once a month! For those of you with kids, you'll appreciate being able to take the wife out, have an open bar, good meal and network with people who NEED to meet you on 10 different occasions for $35.00 a time :)

We just renewed our CoC membership about 2 weeks ago.This is the 2nd year and both years we have traded services of equal value for the membership.Our CoC is on a highway that 60,000 cars pass by daily so people get to see the results of our labor often.

Last year we cleaned the building,this year the roof.A week after we finished the roof they paid to have the building washed.

We have yet to fully take advantage of the benefits of networking at the monthly meeting,but we do get a few calls a month from referrals from the CoC.

I'm still of the opinion that for the money, you'd be better served to join the Home Builders Association - this type org is stuffed full of realtors, bankers, closing attorneys, BUILDERS, etc... Although it's designed for the "building" community, all of those successful real estate agents can be sold on curb appeal, all of those lovely lawyers own homes

Celeste, you have a very good point IMO, especially if you target contractors vs homeonwers. Thanks for the reminder of the NAHB, as i went there to check on membership etc. The local county chapter is now asking $470 to join, but that is a different county than you, but neighbors!

The $$ for BBB is not significant, but if you are being selective about where to place advertising $$, I could see how the NAHB might carry a little more weight than the other. In the end, it depends on the name you build into the business no matter what sign/certification you hang on the wall.