Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Love my compitition

Question

You know around here its tough to find reliable contracters. You know its the old story we will be there Monday, They just dont say what Monday

Heres a little story of a pissed of Property manager that now will be useing me for everything if its up to her

Theres a project 17, 3-story condo buildings. She had to have 3 bids for the job. She called me I had done some little stuff for her in the past. She called 2 others one said he's going out of Biz so she called another 2 companies now a total of 4. She called me I went the next day and submitted a bid the 2nd day. She had told them she needed the bid within a few days. A week later I do a follow up call and she told me none of the others put bids in yet she said she was callinng them all to see whats up. She said call back in a few days Today. I called and she said I got it she's pissed at the other 3 and she'll never call them again. She called the Friday and they said shed have the bids Monday, NOTHING, she called a couple Monday and they said they'd have them in Tuesday, NOTHING as of 4:300pm. I call and got the job she had already spke to the HOA prez last night and he sai give it to me, because I got it in quick. True story, you should have heard this PM about these others

It totally amazes me how contractors can be so unreliable, But I do love my compitition. As long as theres bums like this, JL will keep growing

This is a major problem in this area. Is it like this other areas, I dont remember it being this bad in Mass when I lived there

JL

15 answers to this question

You know around here its tough to find reliable contracters. You know its the old story we will be there Monday, They just dont say what Monday

Heres a little story of a pissed of Property manager that now will be useing me for everything if its up to her

Theres a project 17, 3-story condo buildings. She had to have 3 bids for the job. She called me I had done some little stuff for her in the past. She called 2 others one said he's going out of Biz so she called another 2 companies now a total of 4. She called me I went the next day and submitted a bid the 2nd day. She had told them she needed the bid within a few days. A week later I do a follow up call and she told me none of the others put bids in yet she said she was callinng them all to see whats up. She said call back in a few days Today. I called and she said I got it she's pissed at the other 3 and she'll never call them again. She called the Friday and they said shed have the bids Monday, NOTHING, she called a couple Monday and they said they'd have them in Tuesday, NOTHING as of 4:300pm. I call and got the job she had already spke to the HOA prez last night and he sai give it to me, because I got it in quick. True story, you should have heard this PM about these others

It totally amazes me how contractors can be so unreliable, But I do love my compitition. As long as theres bums like this, JL will keep growing

This is a major problem in this area. Is it like this other areas, I dont remember it being this bad in Mass when I lived there

JL

Hey Jeff,

I'm totally amazed as well about how some contractors can be so unreliable.

Example 1:

We added an addition to our house a few years ago and called around to get estimates to have the concrete slab poured. Out of the dozen or so concrete contractors that I called only 1 showed up and gave me an estimate. His price was fair and he showed up when he said that he would so he got the job. Even after I called the others back they still didn't show up when they said they would.

Example 2:

I used the same plumbing service 3 times within the last year. Each time I had to call the guy up and say is your guy going to show up today.... When the third guy showed up and started digging without giving me an estimate I was pissed. I made it clear that I wanted to know how much before they started work. I went out there and made them stop digging. I asked the guy how much it was going to cost. He said he wouldn't know until he dug up the leak. Now... you could hear the water spraying!! I told the guy to lift the green lid off the box on the ground and he could see the leak!! He didn't even try to see where the water was spraying that you could hear plain as day! He then proceeds to tell me it was going to be $350 - $550 dollars. I told him to pack his stuff. He asked what I had in mind. Told him I thought it would be less than $200 to fix. He said this was their standard practice for any yard repairs. I told him about the leak they fixed last year for $300 which was a buried leak. He then started back tracking after he realized that I was a previous customer who he was trying to gouge. He ended up doing it for $200 but I felt cheated. I will never use them again. They had it fixed in 15 minutes. He then proceeded to tell me because of the low price he charged that he couldn't afford to replace the cutoff valve near the leak so he just took it out.

One of my main goals with my business is to show up when I say that I will be there. It's just part of having good customer service in my opinion.

Mike

I've Only Been In This Biz For 1 Yr But It's A True Time Tale, Show Up When Your Said You Would Do A Fantastic Job And Exceed The Cutomers Expectations And You Will Be Customers 1st Chioce And Only. I Help My Bro In Law With Sub Contacting Guys To Renovate Abanded Homes And Like You All Said 1 Of 10 Show Up. How Do They Stay In Biz... Keep Up The Good Work Guys...some Of Us Aint All That Bad.

Its a good thing they don't hire you based on your speeelling.. =)

:bullistic Thanks for pointing that out sir

Never was very good at spelling unfortunately (did I speeeellll that right?)

Quick tip: There is a spell checker in the upper right hand of the reply window. Click on it to download the spell checker (1st time only) and you can use it before you send your posts.

Rod!~

Cool! I can really use that. I'm sure you all probably haven't noticed :rolleyes: , but I'm a terible speller as well. Most of the time I know when it's spelled wrong, but it takes to long to check for the correct spelling. Now I just need a program that checks my sentence structure as well.

testing.......

doestn't work?? Clicked, had to download, Clicked on the first of four downloadables, Clicked "save" as opposed to "run", computer saved it to Desktop?? Finished downloading, said "complete", I Closed,....now when I click on the Spell Checker it still says I need to download???

Guys here is a little secret that I know you will all chip in a buck for, use MS Word or Word Perfect whichever you have , then copy and paste your post after you spell check it.

Ok that buck goes to your favorite charity not to me OR you can send it to TGS as an added bonus to keep it running smoothly.