Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

January 2006 deck we did

Question

We had a warm spell in January, it got into the upper 60's here.

This deck was cleaned with HD-80, at about 4 oz to the gallon, neutralized with Citralic, and sealed while wet with Wood Tux Wet. Please note in the photos the deck is not dry yet.

Beth

post-1-137772151828_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772151831_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772151834_thumb.jpg

61 answers to this question

Hey Rod, nice job. BTW, they do make a bigger floor pad. It's called a speed sealer. You probably already know about it, but I thought I'd tell you just in case.

Jon

I just asked Beth if she had an after picture.

That is not what it would look like dry. As you apply Wood Tux to a wet deck it will turn yellow. As the stain forces the water out of the wood it turns to a natural honey gold color. What you see in that picture is somewhere in between. I would guess that was taken right after staining.

Send me an e-mail and I will send you a photo series that illustrates the process. Just put Wood Tux in the subject line.

Thanks

Russell

The deck was not dry yet. We will have to swing by and get the dry photos.

This is to illustrate what Wood Tux looks like when you apply it to wet wood. This was not meant as an example of the finished product.

Jarrod - who makes the speed sealer?

Beth

Jarrod,

No I havent seen them, info?

Shur-line makes the one in the pic we use. The 7" pad is not bad though. It will last several jobs depending on the deck surface. They also make a 9" but it is designed for interior work. On a deck it will start to come off its backing before I can finish the job.

Rod!~

Rod,

What's the technique... are you dipping the pad in a pail of stain and then applying with the pad, or did you apply another way (sprayer?) and then back brush with the pad?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

We do normally spray. But, this was a tiny deck, with fence right up against it, so the whole thing was padded. The trick is how much product to put on the pad...takes practice to figure out what you are comfortable with.

Beth

Mike,

We do normally spray. But, this was a tiny deck, with fence right up against it, so the whole thing was padded. The trick is how much product to put on the pad...takes practice to figure out what you are comfortable with.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the info. I guess in this case it was easier to pad the whole deck then cover the fence, etc...

Do you use the pad close to the house, other objects, etc... and then spray the rest on larger decks?

Thanks!

Mike

Seymore

THANKS!!!! :sunshine: :groovy3:

We appreciate it!

How long does one of these typically last?

Beth

You are very welcomed :)

I haven't tried this paint pad yet personally...I use a paint pad made from Padco that usually last me a few jobs.

How can you use a pad for application?? I've seen them, maybe dabbled with them once or twice, but I don't see how htey would have the ability to "hold" stain in them----and you cannot "dip" them into anything, they'll get covered in stain----do you have to "pull" it from a roller tray?? I can see them being great for back-padding, but can't see how they could be used for app.

Shane..where do you get the Padco??

Denny

Dennis,I get them from Texas Wood Products in Plano when i get my stain delivered to me.I get both the holder and just the refills.I haven't been able to find a local distributor for Padco other than Tom Baker in PLano.

Jon,The Padco pads hold stain just fine and I'll just dip them in my bucket and then squeeze off the excess off the side of the bucket.

They are not the best way to apply stain but the long nap and the thicker sponge with the Padco does hold up pretty good.The only draw back is that it will pick up the splinters like you wouldn't believe.

I like them better than the shurline where as the shurline sponge will come un-glued and tear apart.The Padco last longer and is more durable for me.. :cool:

Jarrod - who makes the speed sealer?

Beth

I get them at OPW. The same place Shane told you about. What a small world! The pads will last you about 4-5 decks - depending on the condition of the wood. They work really well. If you do order some, go to Home Depot to get the green rectangular buckets for dipping. You won't believe how fast you can stain a deck. Just call Scott at 248-299-2512. He's used to shipping out orders & he's very knowledgable.

What would the difference be between the roller and the pad? We almost bought the pad but were afraid the splinters would shred the pad to pieces. With the roller, you elimate that concern. Can you use the pad on railing, or are you spraying / brushing? We're new to staining decks, just trying to get some info, thanks.

What would the difference be between the roller and the pad? We almost bought the pad but were afraid the splinters would shred the pad to pieces. With the roller, you elimate that concern. Can you use the pad on railing, or are you spraying / brushing? We're new to staining decks, just trying to get some info, thanks.

Rollers would work just as well as a paint pad but a paint pad gets in the corners better than a roller.

Now if you don't want it to sling the stain all around on some bricks,concrete etc. rollers wouldn;t be good.

I spray majority of my decks,fences,arbors etc.then back pad where needed.You can roll, pad or brush any job but spraying will be your most effecient way of applying your stain.If you are dealing with the wind of course it makes it harder to spray so you have to adapt where needed.

Mike,

for the most part, the pad is an applications tool like a brush to us. We use it around the house edge as well. Anything that gets on the siding is immediately wiped off with a degreaser.

We spray the product on the surface and use the pad to ensure proper penetration and distribution. In some cases we do apply to the pad and then apply to the surface by either spraying the pad or using a stain tray.

Rod!~

Rod went back by there yesteday and got a picture of the deck dry.

Enjoy!

Beth

I do VERY little wood, but the one thing I like is the look & color of the wood after applying oxalic, it just looks great when its still wet and the homeowner of course loves that look too. This picture of the dry Wood tux almost has the same look. Cool

Might have to try it someday

Thanks for the pics

JL

Xtreme,

We prefer a pad to a roller because we find better control of the product distribution and no roller nap or bubbles to leave behind.

With a pad, we have learned how to use them in the direction of the grain when the deck is rough and avoid using too much pressure when padding in the opposite direction on the areas that would pull the pad apart.

Its like any other tool, practice helps you find the best way to use it.

Some decks will tear the pad up eventually but we just pick up the peices as we go and discard the pad once the job is complete. Most splinters get caught in the pad and are removed from the deck that way instead of by someones foot. I guess its all in how you look at it.

Rod!~