Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Here Is a Very Basic Question:

If you go out and meet a potential customer, and you think the job is one you are not interested in, how do you handle that?

There could be many reasons to do this, so if you respond, let us know the how's, why's, and whatever. I'm sure there are a lot of different approaches, and I've had occasion myself to say that I just don't have the experience and /or the equipment to handle jobs of a certain magnitude, or difficulty, yet. I think any conscientious noob has done this sort of thing (hopefully).

How about you veterans? What situation can make you refuse an opportunity to bid, or to do the job, and how do you handle those situations?

We bid high. If they accept it, we'll be 'happy' to do it for that price.

:lgmoneyey

The only way I would otherwise refuse to do it is if it were in a dangerous area/situation or it went beyond my equipment/experience. We would then politely decline the business.

Initially, I want to agree with Don, just price it very high but here is where that can backfire. When I was doing kitchen exhaust cleaning I was asked to bid an Oriental restaurant. The hood and flue were covered in three inches of shellac. A normal hood this size would take maybe three hours I figured this one to be ten hours. I could have bid $1200 but due to the kind of grease and not wanting to really do the job I bid $2000. The owner politely declined and I moved on not thinking twice about it.

Forward three months and I am bidding another job. I hand the owner the estimate and he is surprised. He says, "That's not as high as I expected it to be". At first I was happy but upon further explaination he tells me I am not cheap but that at a PA Restaurant Association meeting the owner of the Asian restaurant had bad mouthed me to many members telling them that my prices were ridiculous. It turns out this group was very tight nitched and referred contractors to each other. I joined the association and rectified the situation but I learned a lesson. I think it is better to fully communicate with your customer. If someone calls me in May and wants paint/solid stain stripped from a deck I explain the time and energy involved and decline the job.

It depends on how busy you are and who wants it done! If it can lead to other work then I think about it. Last year I recieved a call to bid 3 different condo projects all small in number. Brutal condition and not worth bidding. I explained what they had been doing wrong and to replace all the floors then I'll take care of them. They spray painted all of them? Some like Don said; to dangerous or you can be clueless how to price a job even though you can do it. I had a call to clean the inside of huge barn. It was pretty bad , they were making into a play area for their kids. To many issues to deal so I declined. I had no idea what to charge and told them to try a sand blaster. Water was a big issue here.

In these cases I try to come up with an alternative method the customer can use.

I have often bid the job high in order to cover the P.I.T.A. factor and potential delays. I have been known to bid a deck @ $2.50+/sqft wash and seal.

The one example I have to offer in this instance is a series of decks on a condo set with 10 ft ceilings so each level was higher than normal. The lowest deck started out on the 2nd level (ladder required to access), then there was a 3rd level and a 4th level. Each level required a ladder to get to the next. Positioning of the ladders was difficult at best and sometimes precarious without rope restraints to secure it. Problem was that we had to take a ladder up a ladder and then pull the first up to take up the second to the third...are you with me?

In addition, we had to use ropes to bring up additional tools, hoses, guns...etc. Masking was a nightmare. The decks were in the recess of the condos with walls on 3 sides. 2 sides belonging to the client the 3rd to the neighbor.

During the wash and seal we had to deal with this situation until it was over. The owner wanted ABR X-100 Redwood on it as well. Anyone who has ever worked with the stuff knows how bad it smells. Literally, it was the deck from hell.

Total sqft for the deck was around 780sqft and we brought in just under $2000. That is basically double our current pricing and this job was 6 years ago when prices were much lower.

The client has since moved and we have not been asked to come back to this site but I will not be looking forward to seeing it again either.

Rod!~