Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Brand New Energy

Today I had to run an errand. Now most days, an errand is just and errand, another thing that takes a portion of a precious resource out of your day - time. Today, I went to the mall. Now I do my best not to go to the mall unless I have to. We live in a congested area, heavy in traffic both on the roads and in stores. I figured I was out at lease two hours when I turned into the parking lot.

We ended up in a store looking for a replacement item. The clerk who approached us, was nice and helpful and eager to do a good job. He was personable, the type of person you easily strike up a conversation with. Before I knew it, we were chatting away about spring, about gardens, and then, about business. You see, this man had a fire in his belly, much like that of Jeff (JL here on TGS). This store clerk, was considering going into business for himself (not in our field) and as soon as he learned we owned our own business, the conversation took a wonderful shift.

The flurry of questions that came from him, the energy and excitement he exuded, all pointed to the mark of a true entrepreneur. It took me back to a time when we too, had hundreds of questions, didn't have any answers, but had one helluva dream. It reminded me that every day is the first day of spring when you have a dream so large and so consuming that nothing else can find room in your mind. I was swept away in the newness of his dream, and found myself offering to help him.

I know he'll call me. In fact, I'll lay odds it happens by Friday. I know I will sit down with this dreamer and help him through his maze of questions as he finds his footing and begins to crawl, eager to walk. I look forward to hearing his voice on the phone when he calls and tells me of his first success story. And one day, I know he will help someone realize their dream too.

Dreams are really big things. They can be really scary things. Often they are overwhelming and it is hard to make sense of what needs to be done to get you from A to Z. To those of you who are new, don't panic. Read, study, and ask questions. Talk to anyone who will listen to you about your dreams and about your business. Let them help you. And one day, when the time comes, help a newbie in return. You'll be amazed at how good it feels to give back, and how very energizing it can be.

Have a wonderful day!

Beth

I'm glad it was you folks that met up with this man today, with everything you know about biz, you'll be a great asset to this young man. Its so scary & aggravating wanting to do some things, but just dont know where or how quite to start

People are suppose to help other people, its a good thing your willing to do. It also turned a dreaded trip to the mall into a good trip.

Whats the biz he wants to start?

Tell him you want stock options when he's the King of his industry LOL

Congrats I hope his dream comes true

I love to hear stories like this one. It is amazing the number of people whose lives can be changed by one chance meeting.

Just the other day, I ran into a guy I haven't seen in years. I was cleaning the dock area inside a warehouse and he was delivering there. At one time I was behind this guy in seniority at a local moving outfit, and he used to constantly tell me about his plan to open a mobile truck wash with his father.

They had the name picked out, and knew all about the equipment, and the father was an owner/operator with a lot of money and great industry contacts. I used to get bored listening to them drone on and on about this crazy (I thought) plan of theirs.

I imagine that was in '94 or '95, and I hadn't thought much about either of these guys since. Something stuck though, because when faced with the need to find a way to make a living, I thought of this business.

When he stepped out of his rig, I remembered that this was the first person I'd ever heard talking about PWing for a living. He called his dad down to see me, and he showed up in a loaded rig.

I cut them both good deals on washes right there, and they quizzed me for an hour afterwards over a lunch they bought me so they could pick my brain.

They met a guy that did mobile washing in another state, and got interested, they passed some (mostly bad) info to me. I forgot the info, and where I got it, but not the idea. I got wrecked by a drunken kid, and needed work. The voc-rehab tells me I can go for self-employment, if I have a plan. I write a plan (with a consultant) and get a grant. I start out, and find The Cleaner Network. Celeste finds me stumped, and sends me to The Grimescene. I get good advice and become a tiny part of an industry I enjoy more each day.

A great deal of things come to pass from the strangest of chance happenstances. Makes you think a little about how you speak and act with strangers, doesn't it?

Thanks again Beth for this thread. Today was a bummer, as I was ill, but this has rehabilitated the day for me!:)