Sign in to follow this  
yazbird8

Electrical in-line dangers

Question

How much risk of shock or electrocution is there when washing a house in the vicinity of the electrical in-line which runs from the telephone pole to the home. Is there a danger if you spray directly on them when washing the home?............. How does the contractor deal with this, or is it not really a big deal because they are well insulated and grounded........Them wires creep me out.

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

9 answers to this question

One time I was rinsing a side (with the X-Jet) and didn't notice the inside of the wire was loose and frayed. It swayed and though the wire didn't make contact with the aluminum cap, the water must have created a short. It popped very loudly and sent a shower of sparks down. That was one newbie mistake I will never repeat.

How much risk of shock or electrocution is there when washing a house in the vicinity of the electrical in-line which runs from the telephone pole to the home. Is there a danger if you spray directly on them when washing the home?............. How does the contractor deal with this, or is it not really a big deal because they are well insulated and grounded........Them wires creep me out.

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

I am always careful to keep water away from the lines, and very little water on the meter box. If everything is installed correctly and is in proper condition, you should be ok with a little water, but as Phillip mentioned, things aren't always in the proper condition. The thing I'm ALWAYS careful of is the ladder...I carry the ladder upright, and if I didn't notice the lines, I'd walk the ladder right into them. Aluminum and electricity don't mix well (or more accurately, mix too well).

Be careful with your lance too. I've seen some awfully low power lines coming in, lines I could easily hit with a 4' lance if I weren't careful.

Good thing is, 99% of the work I do is in newer neighborhoods with buried cables coming in.

I had a great friend of mine die when he came in contact with the power line. He wasn't using a power washer (roofer) but I would think that because water is such a good conductor there would be some risk. But then again, I think that if it was raining hard and I touched the siding, nothing would happen..........Make sense?

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTAINENCE

In reality the risk of fire is far greater than that of electrocution. But as mentioned, the real risk is from contacting the line with a ladder/wand. As for water, The stream you see is not a continuous stream, but rather a collection of discrete droplets a very short distance after the tip. Since they lack continuity, they cannot conduct electricity (at residential voltages). For a good graphic/video, Tivo the MythBusters episode about pee'ing on the third rail.

As a former electrical lineman I try and help you with what you have to watch out for. The entrance wires that are separated (three wires not wrapped together) you will find these in older homes. On these services the old insulation can be worn and if you get them swinging you will get a shower of sparks, and possibly knock out the fuse at the transformer. With Tri-plex (three wires twisted together) watch for the connections where they go into the house a bad tape job with exposed aluminum will have the same reaction as them slapping together, you also want to avoid pushing a connection against aluminum siding.

You should be in no danger from the spray from a nozzle, but do watch ladders and other tools. I saw some really bad burns in my time. You would be surprised what people will do. Regular household voltages should not be a problem. Commercial voltages are a whole other story. (Best bet is just avoid it if you’re not sure). Local utility companies will cover the exposed wire and they shouldn’t charge for this. Just insure advance notice.

Also use caution on the entrance cable coming down a house if the cover is split you can actually have water enter the jacket and flow into the meter socket and beyond to the panel. So I agree the risk of fire is much higher than that of shock.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I thought it would be helpful.

Its threads like these that show the diversity of backgrounds we come from.

The information each of us brings to this field creates an evolving science and it benefits everyone just the same.

Back on topic though, I have always been keenly aware of electricity (younger days accident) and have been very cautious when working around supply lines to a house. The one factor you can count on is that the water coming out of your nozzle is not a consistent bead or stream. Water is cohesive meaning it will only stick to itself but that property is altered by the chemicals already in the water along with those that we add at the time we wash. Unless you are able to make the water viscose (thick) it will act like a bunch of bubbles trying to come out of the same spot and quickly separate into droplets. By the time the droplets hit an electrically active line, they no longer are capable of forming a circuit to the nozzle. Now if you were to touch something that the water has adhered to by frictional bond that is in connection with that line, then you can get a shock.

I agree, ladders and extension wands/poles are the biggest threat to electrical shock hazard.

Rod!~

I washed an old house this fall that had a side that was newly remodeled. The exterior outlets were covered in clear plastic water proof boxes. Apparently one of the outlets shorted out from my rinsing and caused a small fire in their basement. They, of course, frieked out and blamed me, but I explained to them that my rinsing of the siding would be no different than a hard rain downpour. It was new construction and was the electricians fault for not fully sealing the box from the house. They agreed with my logic and went on to attack the electrician. Close call.

I was washing a house in a historic distict using my X jet and water hit the power lines and sparks flew and smoke went everywere. I stopped and went and got the home owner and showed them all the exposed wires that went all the way from the street to the house. They said every time it rained it looked smokey outside but they didnt know why needless to say we called the power company and they came and replaced the line and the home owners thanked me for finding the problem it sure scared the heck out of me though. The wires had to be 100 yrs old I would guess. Now I always look at the wires very carefully while I am making my bid.