Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Water & More Water

Question

Life is Good but can be stressful also

Today one of my guys said at the end of the day yesterday he sunk the lift in the grass a little. I told him no big deal we'll look at it. When we turned the corner there was water bubbling up from the ground. I said OH S--- I called the PM and told her. The sent irrigation guy , then fire sprinler guy, Well after about an hr and 7 or 8 more guys they finally got the water off. Im thinking they are going to try to lay this on me. My lift My problem> It was the main to building. Now they have to go in 26 units and turn of water heaters etc It a 4" main reduce to a 3" and it was ONLY 6" under ground and on top of that the fill that they used was crap there was a rock about a fot long and wide right on top of the pipe. Im talking with const. super and said your not trying to lay this on me. Plumbers show up and laughed how shallow it was. Long story short they fixed it put it lower and told me not my fault COOL

Now Monday we were finishing high rise we were on the bottom floor and fire alarms starts going off, GM calls and said it was because of US. I said maybe but we have everything covered with tape, nothing more we could of done. The 2 fire trucks come screaming in. Im like OH S---. Well I hear on maint. radio, That yes he(we) have everything covered. No problem not our fault!!

You know I hope nothing else happens this week, I cant handle something else thats not our fault

Other than that both jobs are going well , this big jobs going real well

Except for the 35MPH winds that blew mix all over the windows we already cleaned, Thats another story. we'll take care of that tomorrow

At least there good $$$ jobs, always something, just got to go with the flow

JL

11 answers to this question

Most of the properties here won't allow lifts on the grass for that reason. Sheets of plywood work really well to protect the grass/underground plumbing, but it can be a pain to constantly move them as the lift travels. Bigger lifts from the parking lot (when possible) is a good way around such obstacles.

Jeff trying buying two 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood and rip them in half long ways so you end up with 4 2x8 sheets and then play leap frog with them as your moving the lift. I realize that takes a lot of time but it will keep from rutting the grass and from breaking shallow utilities. Only 6" deep? A lawn dart could of hit that.

Jeff,

I hope they don’t back charge you, but I have had customers in the past tell me it’s not my fault and then change there mind on completion.

The fire alarm, I can think of many reasons why they will blame you. The flow devices are monitored by the alarm company. When washing Hi rise buildings I always call the monitoring company. Many times they hook hose bib connections to risers.

I hate to be so negative, if you had asked I would have informed you.

If this is and enclosed parking garages you violating laws. Your using gasoline powered equipment. The gas equipment can be used only under one condition. You may use propane powered indoors and not have problems.

Even in open parking they have ventilation units, based on use these unit exchange the air so that the air quality is not bad based on usage. Second reason the fire alarms sound. Carbon monoxide detected by air quality sensors.

If you’re inside I’m very surprised security on the building allowed you in. My trucks are inspected going into high rises and not allowed to carry any gas or flammable materials.

I assume you’re inside parking area, if not disregard all said.

Ron no these were building washes. When I do parking garages machines are on the outside and we just run hoses in

As for monitoring comany I call the GM each morning & she calls monitoring company. The last day she admitted she forgot, thats why FD came, thats on her and the check is on its way per PM no prob

As for the plywood I have 15 sheets in half, I give many the option if they stress concern, then when I give them cost, they say just drive on grass its OK. I do write up in contract in detial about grass & lift, I tell them may leave impressions and I am not resposible for ANY damage. Ive been surprised thay HOA's or GM's havent called me and said e arent agreeing to that, but they havent. Only one time someones complained and it was a deep hole near a retaining wall and I put a little fill dirt and some sod. I could have pointed the to the line in the contract & said not my problem, but I made the hole so i fixed it.

As for the water main the PM told me they had a regular board meeting and they said no problem for me I cant see under ground and they are going after old plumber. The pipes were to be 4 feet under and they werent

Just been one of those weeks, just something you have to deal with. I hate problems, but they do come up

JL

Alarm systems & emergency light systems need to be disabled during cleaning and and re started after you have left the property.Have been in this situation many times.

Ron

all of the garages that I do do not have exhaust fans. They are open on the side, however. Besides, if you are not allowed to take gas in there, how do your trucks get in???

I have had the 2 am visits from the Fire Department before. These guys were relaly cool and just asked me to disconnect my hose from the riser. I had permission and had done it in the past without a problem, but the city had recently converted from a Commercial fire fighting contract to a City department. They were a little more enthusiastic, and probably cooler than the commercial guys would have been.

Jeff, what kind of lift are you using?

Scissor or a Boom with a bucket?

Straight boom lift, I usually have no problems. It was the Main water pipe being only 6 inches under ground that was the problem.

Rons

If this is and enclosed parking garages you violating laws. Your using gasoline powered equipment.

No talking about parking structures, eviromentally controlled enclosed parking garages. We can eat lunch on monday at one I'm finishing up on highland & camelback.

Scotts

all of the garages that I do do not have exhaust fans. They are open on the side, however. Besides, if you are not allowed to take gas in there, how do your trucks get in???

All of the underground ones i do have fans. if they didnt you would not like it.

You didnt read.I said nothing about cars, did i miss something? OSHA says nothing about gasoline vehicles, just powered equipment.

Are you pulling my chain? I know you know this.........STOP messing with me

Straight boom lift, I usually have no problems. It was the Main water pipe being only 6 inches under ground that was the problem.

That thing has a 40 foot reach capacity, yes?

Next time make sure it's atleast 15-20 out from the side of the building.....then articulate it so that you can get your work done.

You guys have sprinkler systems up there? That's the biggest obsticles I run into. They're very fragile and impossible to locate.

Glad to hear, though, that you didn't have to take responsibilty for any of the damage.