Sign in to follow this  
JFife

Readyseal Gold

Question

I've not used RS Gold, and i have two customers wanting me to use it. I've always heard the durability is far less due to the clay pigments.....but what have you found in the field?? As far as expectations, with Nat. Cedar or Light Brown I'd do a deck every two years, and 3-4 yrs. on a vertical surface. What has been the experience with those that have used gold??

27 answers to this question

I've not used RS Gold, and i have two customers wanting me to use it. I've always heard the durability is far less due to the clay pigments.....but what have you found in the field?? As far as expectations, with Nat. Cedar or Light Brown I'd do a deck every two years, and 3-4 yrs. on a vertical surface. What has been the experience with those that have used gold??
Ive used gold .just make sure ya neutralize good .and put 2 solid coats on the floor.

They don't hype it because it has clay pigments, isn't supposed to last as long. Does look nice,

Ahh I see....

My Cedar Gold is lighter too that's why i mix it 50/50 with some darker brown stain to give some boost.I actually mix all my colors with brown to tone down the reds and orangishes especially on PT wood...:D

I've only used the RS gold on fences. Looked really good, and seems to have held up as well as any other color.

My guess is using it on floors, you'd likely still get a good 12 months, maybe more if not in direct sunlight, like say on the north side of a house.

Why not call Pierce for his input?

I would like to see a job stained in RS gold is it not a popular color?

I beleive I remember Reed saying that the gazebo on ready seal website and

brocher was one he did with RS gold.

I've only used the RS gold on fences. Looked really good, and seems to have held up as well as any other color.

My guess is using it on floors, you'd likely still get a good 12 months, maybe more if not in direct sunlight, like say on the north side of a house.

Why not call Pierce for his input?

Thanks Tony...:cool:

I was just curious why i had never seen somebody's work in RS Gold if not mixed with Brown to have lighter highlights to accent bricks,stone etc.

I've always heard the durability is far less due to the clay pigments.....but what have you found in the field??

1st- I am not bashing, just answering this mans question based upon my experience.

We used ready seal gold and a few other colors. The color didn't hold up well for us. We applied at a rate of about 75sqft/gal to get a decent saturation and still the color was lost within a year.

Rod!~

thanks for the input everyone,

...correct, that is GOLD on Reed's famous gazebo, but that is dark western cedar wood. I may mix it with light brown like Pirate Jim said, I bet that would look good. Got any pics like that Jim, namely on PT wood?

Pirate Jim,

IMO, the pic looks funny.......the only thing that looks like what I'd expect the "Gold" to look like is the 2nd pic, side of the Right Side Planter. The rest looks kinda purple. I know that is the sun skewing the photo, so is the side of the planter a good gauge? How many coats/how old is the side of the planter in that photo. What do you mean you don't remember how many coats you put on a planter back in '03?:)

Jon the frst time I used 12 gallons. It takes 3 gallons for annual mant.and I used 7 gallons for the complete re-do. It's do for a complete re-do this sept.

The color gold changes to like a bronze color. Sun is an issue with the photo. This will be the seventh year caring for this deck.

That looks great, Jim. How many apps. is that on the verticals?? While you're at it, :) can you post some pics of your "honey" color?? ....Or anything else that looks nice, for that matter. If I applied "gold" to blasted wood (rediculously low sq.ft. coverage, due to porosity), realistically, what kind of color duration you do think on could expect on the vertical surface, on the weathered side (basically, the most difficult area)?? Application would be one saturation coat, hour dwell, followed by another flooding.