Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Deck Cleaning - what products to use?

Question

I have 3 decks that the owners just want cleaned.

One deck is a latex painted deck, what is the best detergent/chem/cleaner to clean this type of deck?

The second deck is PT wood, never been sealed and the owner wants it cleaned now and will get it sealed when he has the money. What is the best product to use to clean that deck.

The final deck is one that the owner himself has taken care of. He has it sealed with Cabots and just wants me to do a thorough cleaning and he will come back and apply another coat of Cabots when I am done the cleaning.

What products would you recommend for the above three decks, cleaning purposes only, no stripping involved.

thanks

26 answers to this question

He has it sealed with Cabots and just wants me to do a thorough cleaning and he will come back and apply another coat of Cabots when I am done the cleaning.

Which Cabot product is on the deck? Personally, I would want to know that.

Different products, different formulations, different challenges.

Beth

The deck was just stripped 3 years ago, why does it have to be stripped again?

Because it was stripped 3YEARS AGO. eVERYTIME YOU PREP A PREVIOUSLY STAINED DECK, YOU FIRST MUST STRIP IT.

Deck care 101

Jarrod,

Not true if you are applying the same stain for maintenance. Ready Seal and other paraffinic oil stains never have to be stripped. Some Cabot oil based stains also do not have to be stripped prior to one or two reapplications.

Lou,

If the Cabot's deck is one of their fine acrylic stains, make sure you don't strip it!

I don't know how people get away with not stripping decks b4 staining them. I guess where I'm at, it is standard procedure, unless the contractor is a newbie. I mean no offence by saying this, I'm just telling you what it is like in my neck of the woods.

Jarrod,

Why do you strip twp?? Just give it a light bleachwash and recoat--color will get richer, but if you don't want to change the color, cut it 1:1 with clear. Or wash with percarb, either one, will sure make your life a lot easier.

How is that easier? I mean is it because I won't have to stain the spindles? That would be nice. So, I take it that you are washing the entire deck (verts & horizontals) and then just recoating the horizontals? This intrigues me. (Sean Connery voice)

Stripping a deck is pretty harsh on the wood. It can also get expensive for the homeowner. EFC-38 will strip just enough to allow new sealer penetration without removing all the sugars, oils and toner that is currently in the wood. On the Cabot's deck I would coat thoroughly with the EFC and then rinse quickly. Not through like I would a full strip job. I would also neutralize but the jury is still out as to whether that is neccessary with EFC

I understand what Jarrod is saying ( he'll correct me if I am mistaken, I'm sure)...

If someone else, homeowner or contractor take your pick, puts a stain or sealer on a deck and you are brought in after the fact to wash it and care for it but are not asked to strip it, it can be a problem in that if the next coat that is applied to the deck fails, who will they blame? The person who just did the wash/prep work or the person who put on the initial coat?

When you come up again this dilemma, ask yourself if you want that headache... now mind you, if you are just washing, and the owner is going to apply another coat themselves, then it might not be an issue. However....if another company did it, they said this company was just "some guy" and they are not sure he washed the deck well before he stained it, then I would say Jarrod is right - strip that deck - especially if you are applying the next coating. We know many companies that adopt this philosophy. It depends on the circumstances. Interview your clients about their property and get as much history as you can before you decide if stripping it too much, or not enough. Sometimes, stripping is the only option when liability is a larger potential issue.

Just my .02...

Beth

p.s. we always neutralize/brighten after EFC.

I agree to a point, Jarrod. What about with a stain that is designed to accumulate in the wood, adding further protection, such as Readyseal, for decks, or Woodguard, for verticals?

I use TWP 100 seris exclusivly (I know I spelled that wrong!) I always strip it off and restain. Pennofin decks look very dark, so I strip & brighten them too.

I have decks 10 years old I have never stripped just cleaned with bleach. The mahog I just posted is 6 years old and ready for maint.

The Darker the color the more difficult it is. More stuff on the surface. Still its not stripping.....

We would rather not strip if we can avoid it. We would rather give the deck a light wash and then follow with a maintenace application of sealer. But...sometimes you have to strip. This tends to be on decks we do for the first time, that someone else boogered up the last time.

Beth

Lou you gotta do some sampling and research on your own. Some times comming on line for information can get more confusing.

' If you have a result from one experience you will learn from what the experts say. That will lead you into the direction you must go'>

Diamond jim fortune cookie's