Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Sodium Hypochlorite

Question

Hi, first post here.

I'm in the UK and have got hold of some sodium hypochlorite solution in some 25litre barrels.

Is this a product that you guys are familiar with?

I ask in particular because I am concerned about spraying it into the air.

I have used a little with a pump-up sprayer at ground level on moss and algae, and it works well, diluted 50/50.

Has anyone got a few pointers on it's use? I have an x-jet nozzle and proportioners in my tool kit.

Tim - UK

12 answers to this question

Hi, first post here.

I'm in the UK and have got hold of some sodium hypochlorite solution in some 25litre barrels.

Is this a product that you guys are familiar with?

I ask in particular because I am concerned about spraying it into the air.

I have used a little with a pump-up sprayer at ground level on moss and algae, and it works well, diluted 50/50.

Has anyone got a few pointers on it's use? I have an x-jet nozzle and proportioners in my tool kit.

Tim - UK

Tim

Mix 1/2 gallon (medium dirt and mildew) to 1 gallon (heavy dirt and mildew) Sodium Hypochlorite in 4 1/2 to 4 gallons water in a five gallon bucket. Add 1 cup liquid detergent.

Be sure and flush vegetation before and after with water. You can do this with the X-JET nozzle.

Use the X-JET with no proportioner.

X-JET Technology

Xterior Sales and Service, Inc.

Tim,

Here in the states, sodium hypochlorite is commonly known as "bleach". Not sure what you might call it in the mother country.

Mixing ratios depend on the concentration in your barrels. In the U.S., normal purchased sodium hypochlorite ratios are 6% and 12%. For wood, a conservative final mix ratio is 1 - 3%. Most add a little liquid dishwashing soap to help in cleaning action.

If you search on "bleach" in relation to wood on this site, there is a lot of info, fun, controversy, and speculation. It's a riot! That is an American idiom for "mayhem".

Rick,

The barrels concentration is around 14% I think. Yes, we call it bleach.

I believe this stuff is use in swimming pools, and smells strongly of chlorine.

I am a bit concerned about firing it into a spray with the pressure washer - the hazards of breathing the mixture in, or affecting vegetation/other thing.

Thanks for replies, all.

Tim

Ron,

What's the correct x-jet orifice for 3500psi/9gpm?

Philip

Good Morning Phillip,

Wow!! Killer machine.

I would use a #20 orifice.

Call Mike at Xterior and he'll get one right out. The # is 800-983-7467.

Tim

Mix 1/2 gallon (medium dirt and mildew) to 1 gallon (heavy dirt and mildew) Sodium Hypochlorite in 4 1/2 to 4 gallons water in a five gallon bucket. Add 1 cup liquid detergent.

Be sure and flush vegetation before and after with water. You can do this with the X-JET nozzle.

Use the X-JET with no proportioner.

X-JET Technology

Xterior Sales and Service, Inc.

It is much easier in my opinion to use the proportioners, much easier to carry 1 gallon of hypochorite than five gallons.

Hey Ron, thought you retired? How has retirement been, you getting tired of being retired?

Ron retire ? Ive known Ron only for about 4 years and he's retired 4 times at least, cant keep a good man down

Good Morning Phillip,

Wow!! Killer machine.

I would use a #20 orifice.

Call Mike at Xterior and he'll get one right out. The # is 800-983-7467.

Thanks. It's actually machineS. I have a 4.0 and a 5.5 ganged together for 8.? gpm. And yes, it is a beast. Two hands on the gun is NOT an option. FWIW, a #10 tip yields 2500 psi!!

One more thing. PLEASE educate your vendors that the xjet orifices are gpm dependent. I asked 3 vendors (two of whom should have known better) and was told 3 times that 3000psi = #9 orifice....