Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

making the transition

Question

11 answers to this question

Palmetto,

So much has to do with your temprament.How much stress can you cope with?Can you deal with the variable income?What debt load needs to be serviced?Lots of questions...I don't recommend this,but 5 yrs ago I decided it was time to build.For the last years I have had to supplement with "filler work",but this year will be banner.Now I also have window cleaning,office janitorial accounts,but they both lead to PW income BIGTIME.I haven't had a regular JOB for 5 yrs,and the biz is growing.It is a tough call.Don't think I am a young single guy either.43,5 beloved children,and a beloved wife.It has been a tough road,but I am still in biz,and growing!It all boils down to what your willing to deal with.Keep your chin up,and decide.

Fear is your greatest enemy,wisdom,your greatest ally.Git er done!!!!

Dustin, I know nothing about your situation so I'll give you a few things to think about:

Do you obsessively seek challenge?

Do you know how to control yourself?

Do you like having a boss?

Do you like dealing with customers?

Do you work hard?

What are your bad habits?

What are your better habits?

Do you have good habits?

Do you have a plan?

Can you stick to it?

Can you recognize when you should change your plan?

These are all things I had to honestly answer to myself before I could ask the opinions of my loved ones. I was pretty well thrown in the deep end, by forces beyond me, but needed a way to be sure I could handle the stresses and setbacks and triumphs that are part of operating my own business.

Realism and dreams don't seem to go together at first blush, but I would honestly say that you have to have both (in high doses) to be capable of getting this done. You've done the lion's share of the legwork, think of this time as the breath before the plunge: Survey yourself and those around you that you depend on, and those that depend upon you. See what you really think and feel, and then...COMMIT. Whatever decision you make, make it with serious intention and a plan. Then pray and rub crystals or whatever it is you do, and make this decision count.

Then keep using this board, these generous people have a great deal of experience they will share. That is a priceless resource you have going for you. Others will post their considered opinions, and many are much better qualified than I to assist you in this decision.

Listen to them.

Call or email if I can help in any way, I'm excited for you. I love to see people making opportunities for themselves. Best luck!:lgkick:

#1 is be honest with yourself. Can you truly accept the responsibility of being your own boss? Can you devote 100% to your business? Will you strive to build and increase your client base even when you have enough work? All of this takes determination and focus. Some people are really made to be their own boss, and some aren't. I bailed out of a government job making good dough at the ripe old age of 40. I've never looked back. Just be sure your not doing it for the wrong reasons, and you will succeed. Best of luck, whatever you decide!!

There is a certain amount of discipline required to make it "out there" on your own. You will have no boss to answer to - your jobs will dictate your schedule. We knew it was time to walk when Roger ran out of vacation days on his "real" job :) Walked away from GE and all of those lovely benefits almost 3 years ago but we've never looked back and never regretted the decision for a second.

You'll do the right thing, because if it's not, a higher power will stop you.

Celeste

When did you know it was time to quit "the job" and do pressure washing full time?

It can be done Dustin, your in the south so EVERYTHING has to be cleaned sooner or later. You have to have a lot of drive. You have to put many many hours every week just trying to get the work that will support you. The 1st few years are the toughest. With a lot of drive you can do it. I had to make my biz work, I didnt want to work for anybody any more, I was new to the south, no jobs pay really good blue collar jobs. So I set out and pushed myself to make it work. I'm up many hours in the mornings faxing, writing companies. If I work 40-60 hours a week , I also am working another 10-20 hours doing office work, selling, marketting etc. But its all worth it and can be for you as long as your ready to be your own boss. Its not just 40 hours make a few grand. Its work but I find it fun

Good luck and go wash something

JL

First off, sorry for the long post ahead...

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. This is my situation..I've worked for the same company for 5 years with full intentions of sticking it out for the ret ben stock plan etc on average, my 14 hour work day consists of this: 1:45 am wake up shower head to work do paperwork for ten minutes connect my tractor to my trailer and drive 300+ miles delivering 15000 to 23000 lbs of food and related supplies (500 to 1000 cases) to restaurants, schools, hotels...whatever. I will have anywhere from 6 on up to 24 stops and every case has to come of the truck by my stacking it on a dolly and rolling it down a ramp and into the building. I left out a lot of details so as to not bore you to death.

All this has to be done in one day and return to work. I used to pride myself on having what I consider to be one the hardest job in America, until i discovered the joys of pressure washing and having my own business. I find it very fulfilling to make things look new and exceed peoples' expectations.

Anyway, the company i work for takes care of its employees and and pays well. If i were to remain an employee, I would not leave for another company. This is my dillema, I want to grow my pressure washing business to a certain point before i leave, but find it difficult due to time constraints of "the job." My wife's work will provide health insurance for me and my son. I have quality equipment, liability insurance and savings to cover me for about 3 months. Somedays I just want to put in my two weeks and throw caution to the wind.

My metro population is near 700,000, so plenty of business to be gotten. I do consider myself a very hard and dedicated worker, I'd be 100X more hard working and dedicated in my own business. I appreciate StainlessDeal's thought provoking questions. They've led me to believe that I would be successful at my business venture full-time, it's just making that unnerving step...from what I gather, it sounds like you just have to take the plunge and that there is no exact right time. Any other suggestions appreciated....this really is a great forum.

Thanks, Dustin

The hardest thing is going to be that first day when you don't have to wake up at 1:45.

Try and get planned out your exact daily routine so you don't get sucked into the black hole of web surfing for better ideas, or putting out some flyers and going home to look at the phone.

Make a list of every painter, homebuilder, realtor you want to contact.

Have your marketing material designed and ready to go.

Get in the phone book.

Get your truck lettered.

Talk to Ken Fenner about your marketing budget month by month for the first three months at least.

Let people know you're booked out a couple weeks when the phone starts ringing, and bid them on the weekend.

A lot you may already have done, just use as a check list.

the few, the proud, the POWER WASHERS!

it is a lifestyle, i love it wished i would've made the commitment years ago...finally found my thing to do in life. with some luck and help from others in this biz you can make it. go for it. if you are lazy forget it.

good luck.

Hmmmmm, when did I make the transition. I guess that would be when I washed and stained 1 deck that took me a total of 5 hrs and realized that I made in 5 hrs what I make in a 40 hour week at my job. It wasn't rocket science to figure that one out.