Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Keeping your overhead(ache) down

I'm looking for ways to keep my overhead down and to possibly lower it considerablly too.

I already buy all my chems, parts and stuff online. Except for my deck chems because nobody can come close to what I am using.

I'm already shopping for better prices on insurance for my work vehicles and personal vehicle.

I got 2 more years to go on my office/garage lease.

I already split my secratery's wages with my 2 brothers. She answers the phones for all 3 of our businesses as we have offices next to each other in the same complex. And yes, we do get along very well!

I don't buy every new whatsy hoosey that comes out.

What gives? My overhead is really starting to get on my nerves! With this economy here in MI, things are getting really tight in this state. Everyone's very price concious lately and for a good reason. With the price of gas going up again, it's about to get a lot worse. Heck, I'd just do drive offs, but all my trucks are lettered! LOL!

Any help would be welcome!

Come on all you bean counters! It's crunch time!

Jarrod, whats your percentage of gross? If its lower than 15%, quit cher whining. Higher than that? Maybe its time for a private thread with folks from aroun the country benchmarking each other. PM me if any are interested. We will use real figures, and get a real picture of how we stand against each other.

It comes down to. The price of doing business has gone up and the competition has driven the price down. I'm doing very well getting jobs but it's way harder. My state CT to expensive to live in. Jobs are leaving every day. THe people who lose their jobs think servicing the rich is the way to go or try. Pricing is a disaster right now and allot of people with 6 figure income's out of work reading the internet.

I had some one filming me last year while doing a job. Big ocean front job I posted on the deck guide. Also someone going through all my stuff.

The state of doing business is changing big time Here Ct.........

I'm sorry to hear that James. I went down the street today and saw 3 different pressure wash vehicles go by in a matter of about 10 minutes. I never heard of any of these companies b4 either. Pricing is all over the place here too. Decks I'm bidding at $550.00 others are bidding at $375.00 to $450.00. All of my expences are going up and my prices are either staying the same or going down. It's survival of the fittest here.

Jarrod,

1- round trip 1st class plane ticket from Ga. to MI......... $500.00

1- Shiny new softball bat,5 gallons gasoline and a box of matches $395

Hotel room/meals for a weekend..........$300.00

Getting to meet a fellow TGS member and eliminating the competition .......................PRICELESS.

Its tough out thee now

2 +years ago Gas was about $1.40 now $2.50, 12% was $1.09 now $1.48, chems & shipping are up, all insurances GL & Comp up

Try commercial/personal vehicle insurance it saved me quite abit

I also am always try to be more efficient. Less wasted time. I keep my guys to 30 minute lunches 15 minute breaks. I'm stressing quicker set up & breakdown times, no talking & bullshitting, ask a question and get moving. I just stopped buying lunches for the guys, I went & purchased small cooler for each of them and told them to bring lunch.

I have 1 guy come in 15-30 minutes earlier to get trailers ready or fill up machines, instead of 2 or 3 guys coming in to do it. I explain to them that every wasted minute is money lost and if they want a raise they have to perform and help me save money

I have them waste less if a job calls for 1 1/2 gallons of 12% in a bucket I dont want them using 2 gallons

Residential estimates I'm trying to do them one day a week. Commercial I still try to do within 24 hours

Theres a lot of little stuff Im trying to save time with. I was seeing my guys having trouble puttng tip on wand the the next day the same thing, they were being lazy instead of changing QC they would just fight with the old one, I told them if your having problem with equipment fix or change it. Told them think a head, plan your next move, every second water isnt coming out of a wand is time wasted. Sometimes I have a ground man taking care of 3 guys spraying. I told him I want him hustling. If I see a guy run out of chem 'm all over the ground man.

Our set up and breakdown has gotten much better and I try to praise my guys when they do great work. I have a good crew, but theres always room forr improvement in them & me

Its tough out there but I'm always trying to think how to do things better

JL

Theres a lot of little stuff Im trying to save time with. I was seeing my guys having trouble puttng tip on wand the the next day the same thing, they were being lazy instead of changing QC they would just fight with the old one, I told them if your having problem with equipment fix or change it. Told them think a head, plan your next move, every second water isnt coming out of a wand is time wasted. Sometimes I have a ground man taking care of 3 guys spraying. I told him I want him hustling. If I see a guy run out of chem 'm all over the ground man.

I am with you there, keep the water spraying as much as possible!!

Plan your next move, saves time!!

Labor is definitely my biggest overhead. Proper scheduling, time management and oganization are important. I have been weak in those areas in the past and looking over numbers this past winter and evaluating certain jobs, it adds up.