Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Stucco

Question

I got my first call today regarding a large building that houses a resturuant, daycare, realty office and one other front. The building is mostly stucco and windows with some vinyl. I have e-plus which I have been using for vinyl and I am happy with the results. I have not however washed stucco. Is there any precuations to take other than a wood or vinly siding. Will e plus work well. The building is only a few years old and is in good shape. Some grease around the kitchen but not to bad. I have not looked at up front yet and will be tonight when I leave the fire station. Any advise would be great. thanks as always.

Mike

14 answers to this question

I am pretty sure it is dryvit. Is it safe to use my normal house wash with 12% on this with an x-jet and rinse with low pressure. If needed, will higher pressure damage this. I am also concerned about staining it with bleach. I am hoping that I can treat this just like an ordinary house wash.

I am pretty sure it is dryvit. Is it safe to use my normal house wash with 12% on this with an x-jet and rinse with low pressure. If needed, will higher pressure damage this. I am also concerned about staining it with bleach. I am hoping that I can treat this just like an ordinary house wash.

Same mix is fine. You can use higher pressure, if used properly with a wide fan, but really no need to if its just mold & mildew

JL

Use your regular wash and don't fear the dryvit.

You only need to be concerned in a few situations. Place a ladder VERY carefully on dryvit. It's very easy to punch the small points through. Since most if us do not use ladders, this is not a big problem. Also, look for cracks/joints and do not high pressure (1000psi+) them. You could expand the cracks or push the dryvit away from the wall.

Bottom line, treat it like vinyl (cracks) and drywall (ladders) and you won't cause any damage at all...

Thanks so much everyone for the help.

My same mix is a plan. Only a single story building with dryvit and some vinyl. No ladders is easy. Watch for cracks, let the soap clean not the pressure. Should be good to go. Thanks again. Mike

I clean dryvit just about every day, and most dryvit has the color mixed in with the top 1/8" of surface. This is a good thing because it allows for less effect from strong detergents that can potentially fade the color. Still, with darker colors, you must use caution when applying gutter cleaners, or any other strong degreasers. Dryvit is most vounerable at the areas where it protrudes from the base surface i.e. moldings around windows, colums, etc, these areas are very weak, and are generally foam with a very thin layer of dryvit to cover. Pressures exceding about 500-600 psi can easily take a chunck out of the foam. Also using excessive pressure on any of these surfaces can fade the surface by essentially stripping some of the top coat which contains the color. Bottom line, use chems and be very carful with the pressure. Good luck!!

does anyone know off hand if J. Walters Ins. usually covers dryvit as a standard or not covers them. I am stuck at the fire station for a 36 hours shift and can't get home to read my policy. I am going crazy trying to realize if I can do this job or not. Any help would be great. Thanks.