Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gallison

Greasy film around outside perimeter of glass

I clean exteriors windows with DI and water fed poles, and my windows come out great!!! However a job I did recently had poor results. Long story short after investigating I find a greasy build up along the top of the glass 1-3" down, minor on side edges and another band 1-2" along bottom edge. I went back and tried to clean up close and personal window chamois and squeegee. My chamois now had greasy deposits on the ends and was difficult to remove from the equipment.

I contacted the contractor (this was new construction clean windows have been in place since last July) and we met to look at the problem. He seems to think it might have something to do with some sort of protective coating that might have been on the window mullions when installed that is now spreading and spattering from rain. He said he also noticed heavy finger prints and smudges on the mullions after install that he was disappointed with and is thinking that these are all related... Anyone ever run into anything like this and any ideas on what to use to clean off the film. I need something that will clean it off but also not itself leave a residue????? Any help would be appreciated...

Its amazing you mention this now, I too have just recently had the same problem on a building condo that was built about 7 months ago. Some parts of the window water beads up and then the same window different parts the water rolls off like it has Rain X on it. Its some kind of film left over from something. I ended up telling property it wasnt from my cleaning it was already there and I told them to contact window cleaning company.

There were several windows like this

WHat the heck is it and how do you get it off

JL

Mark G,

I am not sure whether youre dealing with silicone residue,or some other adhesive/sealer.You can try wetting window with a solution of Parson's Sudsy ammonia, and water(1 cup of parsons to about 2.5 or 3 gallons of water).Then take a 4 in. window cleaning razor,with a new blade!,and scrape the residue down to the edges.

Another option is to use dlimeonene on a clean rag,rub on the substance,razor off(always wet before scraping),then clean with above mentioned solution.Be sure to flood any place you've applied dlimeonene,if not it will comprimise any rubber seal used in the window.You can also remove those finger prints you spoke of on the mullions w/dlimeonene.It is great.Russ Johnson turned me on to it,and I am very thankful.I have been a window cleaner for 22 yrs.lol

The chalk or silicone used in the manufacturing process bleeds out from the frame because of heat( Sun). Or to much is used during the manufacturing process. 0000 steel wool works and the blade.

LOL,,,,, its wd-40............ they spray it on for two reasons. overspray of paint wont stick too the pain. in commercial it help slide the Vinyl in the window.

you should be glad they spray this on, other wise you would be scraping over psray off. of coursethe guy who did the original clean up didnt do a very good job.