Sign in to follow this  
eads

Other Half

Question

This year will be my first full season of pressure washing, and I'm not fulltime as of yet. I have done countless hours of research, and asked many questions before the start of the season trying to develope a strong marketing plan. Well, my strategies are paying of really well and I have been strongly contiplating(?) leaving my full time job and diving in full time pressure washing. I love the freedom of being my own boss and doing something I love to do and making good money doing it. I have already tooken 3 days off permintly and use these days exclusively for pressure washing. Some days I can make as much as 2 or 3 times what I make working my full time job. Writing this it sounds like a no brainer as to what I should do, but I have a wife and she is very very scared and insecure about what I am doing and what I plan to do, which ultimately is to be a full time pressure washer. If any of you full time guys had this problem how did you handle it? Any advice

30 answers to this question

Ask her support, tell her your plan and then work your ass off to get the work. I still worry about getting work, I always have work but I have a goal every year to reach, thats why I'm out there all the time trying to get new PM's

Or keep doing what your doing 2 jobs and build a base and then go at it real heavy & fulltime in 2007. It will be tough & tiring, but it will be worth it, if you give it 110%. This may be a good idea and then you can show your wife what can be done in this biz

Good luck to you

JL

Michael

My wife was just as worried as yours when I started down this road. I have moved very slowly to help her comfort level. But watching me do my research and get things together for start up she became curious about what it would take to turn her cake decorating hobby into a business. She dove in head first and blew right past me. Simply Cakes is off to a great start and she is now pushing me to do more for my business. I can't tell you how much of a turn around this is for her. So my advice is to get her involved in some way that will match her interests.

Patrick

Edited by Beth n Rod

Michael, I like to see someone that is business oriented enough to do a ton of research before taking the leap, keep it up. I was in your shoes all winter, contemplating quitting a good paying job to PW fulltime once spring hit. After getting a taste of PWing part time last year and seeing the money I could make, I started getting an attitude at work and began to see how much I really hated working for "the man". It really fueled my fire if you know what I mean. Anyway I still wasn't sure if I could feed the family off of PWing being only my second year in biz and the wife wasn't to thrilled about giving up a weekly paycheck she had become so dependant on. Well a month ago a got laid off and didn't expect to get called back anytime soon. So I had no choice but to go for it. My wife was not supportive at all and kept telling me to go get a "real" job. I had lots of support thru posts, emails, and phone calls from these good folks here at TGS, and they picked me up and told me it was my time. I had some advertising funds set aside from last year so I sent out 850 postcards to targeted areas and have picked up several jobs. I also had some jobs lined up already. It hasn't been non stop work but it's been good lately. It's real hard trying to buy things for the biz when I have to give my wife a good chunk of change every week. We've fought here and there about money, things are tight and a little stressful at times but it's working and I haven't regretted it yet. Give me a call if you would like to talk, I can give you some more advice. Good luck.

After getting a taste of PWing part time last year and seeing the money I could make, I started getting an attitude at work and began to see how much I really hated working for "the man". It really fueled my fire if you know what I mean. Anyway I still wasn't sure if I could feed the family off of PWing being only my second year in biz and the wife wasn't to thrilled about giving up a weekly paycheck she had become so dependant on. .

Barry, sounds like where some what in the same boat buddy. It can be very stressful on me at times but I keep on pushin. I figure anything worth having wouldn't be easy to get anyway. Sometimes I just wish I dont have that extra hurdle to jump over if you know what I mean.

Michael,

If you have any doubts don't, right now. Your wife is someone who probably knows your idiosyncrasies better that you think and she is concerned for the lack of stability in self employment. I think you will find you need her support in your endeavors. What I would suggest, FWIW, keep working your FT job and PW on the PT basis. Discipline yourself to set up a separate bank account just for that money and run the business from it. Plan to get a money cushion to live on for a year or so in whatever lifestyle you're accustomed. Can you give yourself a salary like you are making now, bank the taxes for the IRS and city and state. Could you buy groceries, make house, car etc. payments kids' clothes, the whole lot. Keep in mind as a self employed you have to buy health insurance for the family which you're probably getting thru the FT job, it doubles in price when you are self employed. Plan to pay all your taxes, keep equipment maintenance up, etc. After the one year or so show that account to your wife and see if it's sufficient to keep you going if you never got a PW job for 12 months. If it's worth it, I think she might see it your way and you'll feel more confident in your decision.

Good luck

To leave a steady job and to do the Powerwashing fulltime is the toughest decision for alot of us to make like myself. The problem if you want to call it that is that my regular job is a good paying job and my Powerwashing business does pretty well. So do I leave my secure job and let it all ride on my Powerwashing business?? With Gas prices going up and up and everything for that matter getting so expensive what does the future look like?? For me running my business and doing my other job the burnout factor is always in play. I've been doing it like this for 11 yrs now..

I guess if I was forced to doing my Powerwashing as a fulltime business that obviously would make the decision for me. If this was the case then I would give my business everything that I could give it such as the energy needed to make it successful. This is the best advice that I can think of. Give it everything that you can and most likely you will be successful. Give it your all!!

Eads, your in a state & region were pressure washing is a must. Whether you do it this year or next it can be a very profitable biz. With being in Florida and some very hard & creative work you can make excellent money. I started in 2000 paart time not even really thinking about this as a biz that I could support my self in 2003 is when I really started pushing myself & my biz. I'm doing pretty well have 2 fulltime guys and we just roll through the work. I dont ever want to work for someone again. I would if I had to but it would kill me

I spend endless hours getting work, more hours doing the work , but you know what I really dont want for anything, I have all the basics in life and a few extras, always have money, for the basics and some extra, Im saving some for retirement and my families future, have a college fund going for my son, life insurance policies in case of death. I dont have boats and fancy cars but I have a very nice life, yes with ups & downs and yes sometimes money is tight for different reasons, but I always have people sending me money MY CUSTOMERS pay my bills not my boss, because I dont have a boss and its great. Dont rush into anything, get started making money then go fulltime, but do it with passion, dedication and thought. Your wife will come around when she see's you working hard and bringing home more money in one day than in one week working for someone else.

But remember the more you make the more it cost to make it, so plan well and get out and pressure wash something

JL

Its Not An Easy Decision. I Worked For Florida Power And Light, I Made The Transition..i Started With Dump Trucks. Not The Best Money But It Was Weekly Money, Try To Land Some Weekly Or Monthly Gigs Before You Leave This Will Ease Her Mind And Yours. Like I Said This Will Be Your Bread And Butter Until You Find More Ways To Get Biz.roll-off Truck Dump Trucks Are Big Here In Florida Just Call And Get The Fax Number The Fax Your Price List. I Do Three To Four Trucks Per Hour

My father has been self employed his whole life, so that is how I was raised. It does not scare me at all to be self employed.

The way I see it if you have a full time job you are employed by someone who is self employed why should you let your drive and ideas make them money. No matter how much you are compensated you could make more on your own.

.....Writing this it sounds like a no brainer as to what I should do, but I have a wife and she is very very scared and insecure about what I am doing and what I plan to do, which ultimately is to be a full time pressure washer.....

I think the key to Michael's dilemma is not whether but when. He needs to be able to prove to his wife/ partner that she won't have to move to smaller less comfortable digs because PWing didn't work out like he thought, too many low ballers, not enough customers, it's lonely and he really misses his co-workers,etc.. If she decides it ain't working he stands to lose more than just the business.

The way I see it if you have a full time job you are employed by someone who is self employed why should you let your drive and ideas make them money. No matter how much you are compensated you could make more on your own.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Good thinking!!!

I think the key to Michael's dilemma is not whether but when. He needs to be able to prove to his wife/ partner that she won't have to move to smaller less comfortable digs because PWing didn't work out like he thought, too many low ballers, not enough customers, it's lonely and he really misses his co-workers,etc.. If she decides it ain't working he stands to lose more than just the business.

There's never going to be a time where it is a sure thing. He could be in business 5 years and go bust. The economy could take a serious dump, he could be injured, there are lots of things that could happen. If you're going to sit around worrying about all of them, you'll never make it happen.

originally posted by Mike Williamson

If you're going to sit around worrying about all of them, you'll never make it happen.

I personally think he should jump in with both feet sink or swim, but I don't have to live at his house. Since his original concern was for his wife's support, maybe he should show her how much money he's been making on the side. She dosen't seem to think he can pull it off. As he himself wrote,

......but I have a wife and she is very very scared and insecure about what I am doing and what I plan to do, which ultimately is to be a full time pressure washer.
You have to weigh it out, full-time pressure washing in this hand, wife's feelings in the other, full-time pressure washing - wife's feelings? Keep in mind the internet is littered with the bones of former pressure washing businesses.

Very well said. I was the supervisor for a small utility construction company. I had more experience in the industry than my last boss, he was always asking me what to do, or how to read this print, and I was running the show. He couldn't read very well, was horrible with the books, and had already filed bankrupcy once. Tell me that wasn't a risk, hell I'm better off now trying to do my own thing.

Mike Williamson writes

He could be in business 5 years and go bust. The economy could take a serious dump, he could be injured, there are lots of things that could happen.

This is probably why Michael's wife has her concerns, too.

The point is, if you wait until things are guaranteed, you'll wait forever. Hell, he could lose his current job tomorrow. Anything CAN happen, and if you sit around worrying about them, you'll just be a bundle of raw nerves. Instead of waiting for something to happen, get out and MAKE it happen.

This year will be my first full season of pressure washing, and I'm not fulltime as of yet. I have done countless hours of research, and asked many questions before the start of the season trying to develope a strong marketing plan. Well, my strategies are paying of really well and I have been strongly contiplating(?) leaving my full time job and diving in full time pressure washing. I love the freedom of being my own boss and doing something I love to do and making good money doing it. I have already tooken 3 days off permintly and use these days exclusively for pressure washing. Some days I can make as much as 2 or 3 times what I make working my full time job. Writing this it sounds like a no brainer as to what I should do, but I have a wife and she is very very scared and insecure about what I am doing and what I plan to do, which ultimately is to be a full time pressure washer. If any of you full time guys had this problem how did you handle it? Any advice

What's the full time job pay, if you don't mind my asking?

I'll pipe in here from the wife's perspective - Roger (and I) started part-time as he was working a 2nd shift job with GE (almost 15 years) - good money, good benefits. 6 months in part-time, he walked away. Just quit - I nearly had a heart attack! 3 kids at home, 1 in college and 2 mortgages - I really wondered if we were going to be okay. I was working on a commission only job so no steady money there either.

I will not say we didn't struggle somewhat, particularly through winter months, but if you position yourself with your marketing and do good work, when you're depositing those checks (actually let her do those deposits), she'll develop a pride that will turn into a strong support system. Try to get her to participate - design cards/flyers, write letters, do research - that was huge for me in getting me on board. Does your wife work? If not, "hire" her to do your bookkeeping, scheduling, take her on estimates. She's your partner in marriage, make her a partner in your business. There are quite a few husband/wife teams out there - Beth & Rod, me and Roger, Pam & Cujo to name a few. People like to see that also - gives them a warm fuzzy feeling during estimates :)

My numbers are posted below if she ever needs or wants to call :)

Celeste

What's the full time job pay, if you don't mind my asking?

Hey Mike, I don't mind sharing. Its $720 a week after taxes. Like I said in the previous post I can make 3x as much as this (SOME WEEKS). I swear the more I post on this topic the more obvious it becomes. Some tell me I should just put my foot down and do what I need to do. But I love my wife and I respect her feelings. I hate being stressed out and at the same time I hate my current job. Celeste, great ideas I will try to implement them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Greese

The point is, if you wait until things are guaranteed, you'll wait forever. Hell, he could lose his current job tomorrow. Anything CAN happen, and if you sit around worrying about them, you'll just be a bundle of raw nerves. Instead of waiting for something to happen, get out and MAKE it happen.

Quote:

Mike Williamson writes

He could be in business 5 years and go bust. The economy could take a serious dump, he could be injured, there are lots of things that could happen.

ERNIE and MIKE, you guys both have good points.

Michael, are all your ducks lined up? Do you have a sound business plan (meaning, is it written?..if it is not written down it is a fantasy list of hopes and dreams, not a real business plan)

-Do you have liquifiable assets that can compensate for lost income?

-Do you have money to sustain advertising and pay the bills while you are slow or when the inevitable 42 day in a row rainy streak hits?

-Do you have all proper insurance and licensing in place as well as disability insurance that will cover you in the event you get injured?

Your first full year in business you are likely to net about half of what you are currently making (unless you have every single piece of equipment you will need for every single job and that equipment is all new)

Can all your bills still get paid if you make half salary?

If you can answer all of these questions positively, then there is no reason to drag your feet. The number one reason by far for business failure is undercapitalization. The last thing you want is for a few minor pitfalls (and they will happen) to start having you borrowing from Peter to pay Paul and your wife's confidence will fall through the floor. Don't dissillusion her, be honest. Owning a business is not for everyone. It takes support from a spouse and the first couple of years are lean but by the third year things start to explode. If she is willing to sacrifice a bit at first for the good of long term financial independance, you both will be well rewarded. Best of luck to you.