Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

Am I breaking the law?

The label on my Sodium Hypochlorite Solution reads: IT IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW TO USE THIS PRODUCT IN A MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH ITS LABELING. The label goes on to explain "swimming pool water chlorination" and "sanitizing of food processing equipment rinse method". There is nothing about killing mold, mildew or algea. Or about using it to clean houses, roofs, or cleaning in general. Does everyones SH label read the same? Are we all breaking the law?

I'm pretty sure that means using it in a matter inconsistent with it's intended use. ie huffing, as an additive to make drugs, something illegal. Mildewcides are for killing mildew. How would what you are doing be going contrary to intended use.

I fill straight to a 100g tank and a 30g drum. How much just depends on what I've got lined up. I never fill the 100g tank more than half full because it's my roof cleaning tank and I dillute it.

Barry,

It doesn't say anything about brightening fabrics? Someone better warn about 50 million American families using Clorox!

Although Clorox does contain a small amount of sodium hydroxide, better known to the public as oven cleaner, Draino, and lye. But cannot see how NaOH could make any chemical safer to use or less harmful to the environment. Go figure.

The label on my Sodium Hypochlorite Solution reads: IT IS A VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW TO USE THIS PRODUCT IN A MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH ITS LABELING. The label goes on to explain "swimming pool water chlorination" and "sanitizing of food processing equipment rinse method". There is nothing about killing mold, mildew or algea. Or about using it to clean houses, roofs, or cleaning in general. Does everyones SH label read the same? Are we all breaking the law?

Technically yes. What that means is that if you get busted for hauling 2 tons of hazmat, you'll likely also get that charge added on if they really want to stick it to you.

The beauty of our legal system is that our legislators pass so much crap that you violate at least 100 each and every day. And when you **** the wrong person off, you will see your name on the front page facing 12 counts of this and 5 counts of that. And as you are trying to digest the charges against you, the DA will gladly explain that "ignorance of the law is no excuse"

This is all very interesting, it just raised my curiousity when I read that. Needless to say it ain't gonna stop me, I just ripped the labels off and kept washing.

I'm not. My chlorine doesn't come with labels. I simply back up behind P-A-P run the hose to my tanks and fill er up.

They provide labels for you to take and put on your drums or tank or whatever you put it in.

They are usually on a big roll by the tank or in the back of the store.

At least all the places selling bulk Sodium Hypochlorite around here have them.

You should already have your tanks clearly labeled anyway.