Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Whats your favorite stain colors for various woods?

Question

What stain colors look best to you on Pressure Treated, Cedar, Pine and other woods?

Please name the brand and the color for each type of wood. Talking mainly about semi-transparents

4 answers to this question

Lou,

I like any solid acrylic stain in any color on any wood, but especially premium wood like clear cedar, ipe, mahogany, and redwood. No only does it hide the grain and natural beauty of the wood, it looks just like paint. And my customers just love the shine! Reminds them of that new car finish.

And maintenance is so easy. When it starts peeling like a cadaver's skin, just rip out all the wood and start again. Much cheaper and hey, you have a whole new deck for four years. What could make more sense? Consumer Reports gives it a "Best Buy" rating! Who can argue with that?

Any premium semi trans oil that penetrates into the wood with decent pigments is my personal choice. Ready Seal, TWP (some series, and I cannot get it), Baker's Gray Away, and there may be others. Paraffinic oil based with good resins and quality pigments. Good for the wood, looks even better the more times it is applied, and easily maintained. Never have to strip.

I like Shane's colors (Baker's Gray Away) the best. Just ordered my first batch of product today. I custom tint Wood Tux Wet for customers but for some really discerning people, the finish of the WTW is just not happening.