Sign in to follow this  
PRESSURE PACKED

Got Carpal Tunnel?

Question

35 answers to this question

The easy-pull guns work very well...especially with a flow-type (ie: K-7) unloader. With no pressure in the hose, you can pull the trigger with your pinkie or even the side of your hand.

Due to my ignorance of the issues involved, I gave myself Trigger Finger. The middle and ring fingers would lock closed and had to be, painfully, pried open. I've had 3 surgeries on my hand in the last 6 months, and am still recovering. (No more locking, but hard to extend fully. They tell me it will get better.)

Carpal Tunnel. I my case more from gripping than squeezing, I believe. 4 Advil daily for relief. In later stages, hands go to sleep gripping anything like the cell phone.

And also tennis elbow (or a cracked elbow bone). Can't make this better, and it seems to be escalating. From jerking hoses and trigger blast. Anyone else deal with this?

if its "tennis elbow", its the biceps tendon.....both of mine are shot from my regular job and lifting......hurts like hell, sometimes its worse than others, went to the orthopedic (which is a record for me, I dont do doctors but this was unbearable)

I use the "3rd hand" rubber wedge and attach it to the gun itself.....I often use a dual lance, so I throttle it down and just let the water continue to flow while Im doing whatever else.......which allows me not to have to get on that trigger all the time and keeps the water in the pump from heating up as it keeps running onto the lawn

This is kinda odd, but I had problems with carpal tunnel for a number of months about a year ago. I consulted my mother (she's like a medical journal), and she warned that it was probably early stages of carpel tunnel, and that usually it doesn't get better, or go away without surgery. I said damn!! (but not out loud, that would be disrespectful).

She recommended that I try wearing a wrist brace that keeps your wrist from moving, which allows the carpal tunnel to weaken it's inflammation, so I started waring the brace in the evenings and when I slept, and within a month or so, the tingling and numbness stopped and hasn't returned since.

It was bad there for a while. Like Philip stated, my hand would sometimes numb up and tingle just from holding a cell phone or while steering a car.

Anyone with carpal tunnel, I would highly recommend picking up on of these wrist braces from a local pharmacy. They work great.

if its "tennis elbow", its the biceps tendon.....both of mine are shot from my regular job and lifting......hurts like hell, sometimes its worse than others, went to the orthopedic (which is a record for me, I dont do doctors but this was unbearable)

I use the "3rd hand" rubber wedge and attach it to the gun itself.....I often use a dual lance, so I throttle it down and just let the water continue to flow while Im doing whatever else.......which allows me not to have to get on that trigger all the time and keeps the water in the pump from heating up as it keeps running onto the lawn

My elbow feels like someone whacked it on the bone with a pipe. Not always sore, but certain motions or touches light it up. If you place a heavy book on the floor with the spine facing up, I can barely lift it by gripping it like a clamp. But I can "curl" full weight. Does that sound like TE or something else?

It's actually bazaar for me to see this topic. I've had plans to make an appointment with my doc for a while now. My good arm is extremely disabled, and I honestly don't even know why. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of arthritis, or something. Like mentioned by others, I still have most of the strength, but if I try to use that strength sideways, or some other odd way, my arm tell me, "Absolutely NOT!"

What's kept me from making an appointment is the fact that my primary doctor is in internal medicine, so it just aggravates me to think I'll go see him, just to have him set me up with some other doctor, like an orthopedist, or whatever. Before I set up an appointment, I'm going to see what any future posts here have to say. Input is greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Do pushups on your finger tips and fists. Also stretching and go to the gym use light weights high reps with a pully system. It's better on your joints than free weights.

Seriously, get the easy-pull gun and a flow-type unloader. Not having to fight the gun and the hose all the time makes a huge difference. Not having pressure in the hose when you pull the trigger not only relieves the stress in your hand/arm, it relaxes the hose so that it pulls easy - like when you are rolling it up. The swivels swivel and it won't fight back.

I had heard of flow-type unloaders for a few years, but never understood the need...until a round table in NC a few years ago, where I was able to try a 3500/5gpm rig that had one installed. I bought one on the spot and installed it before my next house wash. I just installed a K-1 on my 2-man 3000/8gpm rig. Ahhh...

Can a flow type unloader be installed on any machine?

How do they hold up compared to a pressure accuated unloader?

Can you still route your bypass line into a water tank?

Thanks for any info. I've thought about switching to one, but had questions and didn't get around to finding the answers.

Lance, I'm only recently familiar with the K7 as that is what I just installed on my 2400/4 beltdrive Simpson. I'm getting all the correct pressures with various tips and surfacer as I was getting with my previous GP bolt-on pressure regulated unloader. No kick, limp hose, I can see a lot less fatigue and joint pain. I don't have the field hours on it yet.

Others can speak to it's fit on your setup. As for it's compatibility with mine, K7's are matched according to machine GPM. Different orifice sizes at the bypass port determine the %age of water that bypasses. I found the setting that maximized pressure with the minimum amount of bypass and cranked down the jam nut.

If I recall, you run a portable as well. Here's a shot of mine:

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/showthread.php?t=6464

/neil

Tennis ball. Had fatigue comes from constant gripping the wand not the initial trigger pull. I switch hands regularly.

Worst prob I have now is constantly sore right shoulder from the surface cleaner. (hose hangs on that side) I can turn it the other way but its not as easy to use.

Lance, I'm only recently familiar with the K7 as that is what I just installed on my 2400/4 beltdrive Simpson. I'm getting all the correct pressures with various tips and surfacer as I was getting with my previous GP bolt-on pressure regulated unloader. No kick, limp hose, I can see a lot less fatigue and joint pain. I don't have the field hours on it yet.

Others can speak to it's fit on your setup. As for it's compatibility with mine, K7's are matched according to machine GPM. Different orifice sizes at the bypass port determine the %age of water that bypasses. I found the setting that maximized pressure with the minimum amount of bypass and cranked down the jam nut.

If I recall, you run a portable as well. Here's a shot of mine:

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/showthread.php?t=6464

/neil

thanks Neil, that helps answer a few questions.

Adding quick connects to all those hoses on the K7 unloader is a great idea especially if you have employees. If your unloader does give you problems for some reason you can simply pop it loose and stick another in its place until you get the first one running smooth again.

I just bought a hydrotek a month ago. Has K7 3500psi, 21 hp vanguard, and general pump. Excellent machine. It has two bypasses on it to keep it cool. one that goes from the pump to the unloader and one goes from the unloader to my bulk tank on the trailer.

Yes you can hook k7 to bulk tank, but the onlly problem is if you are dong fleets and using high pressure soap a lot than soapy water will circulate back into your supply tank. If you do that, just stop it up for the meantime, just don't leave your machine running in by-pass for a long time.

Doug Baker

"Baker's pressure Washing"

Central Kentucky

270-268-1694

After going through a couple of K7's (professionally matched and installed on machine as I don't know what the hell I am doing) I stopped using them. What causes them to fail?

Tennis Elbow, watch rolling your hoses onto reel. That motion aggravates it. I don't setup or breakdown anymore, that was what caused most of my problems.. dragging hose etc.

I just bought a hydrotek a month ago. Has K7 3500psi, 21 hp vanguard, and general pump. Excellent machine. It has two bypasses on it to keep it cool. one that goes from the pump to the unloader and one goes from the unloader to my bulk tank on the trailer.

Yes you can hook k7 to bulk tank, but the onlly problem is if you are dong fleets and using high pressure soap a lot than soapy water will circulate back into your supply tank. If you do that, just stop it up for the meantime, just don't leave your machine running in by-pass for a long time.

I haven't seen your machine, but more than likely the hose from the pump to the unloader is you ez-start valve. A bypass can only go one of three places. Fresh water inlet, supply tank, or spoil to ground. For the latter two, you can run all day w/o fear. If you unload to the fresh water inlet, you must release water every 60sec or risk cooking your pump seals.

You must unload somewhere. If you stop up the unloader bypass, you are not bypassing at all. If you do not overpressure and blow seals, you are more than likely forcing water through your ez-start which is not what it is designed for.

Also, the only way to get soap in you tank is to upstream (soap injection before pump). I can't imagine why you would do that, since it will shorten pump life and there are many ways to mix chems post-unloader.

I'd like to second what John mentioned. I used a Suttner 2600 anti-fatigue gun for the first time today. Man, big difference. It is so easy to hold open. I wish I had tried one sooner and hope they hold up.

Phil, I can relate. Been at this 11 years and just in the last month or so developed a problem elbow. Advil, Sports cream and rest helps. I might try an elbow brace if it keeps up.

Dan Stapleton

All Clean Pro Wash

Tavares Fl.

352-343-2811

I'm not positive, though any we are likely to use, yes

I've heard some people complain, but I've never had a problem.

Yes, though the diameter of the discharge hose may need to be smaller than what you currently use.

Thanks for any info. I've thought about switching to one, but had questions and didn't get around to finding the answers.

You won't regret the switch.

Tennis ball. Had fatigue comes from constant gripping the wand not the initial trigger pull. I switch hands regularly.

Worst prob I have now is constantly sore right shoulder from the surface cleaner. (hose hangs on that side) I can turn it the other way but its not as easy to use.

My solution is to reach behind and hold the hose in your left hand, so that there is no pull on the right. It makes it easier to manage the hose as well. As I walk, I am pulling the trigger/steering the sc and holding the hose in my left. Try it, it works for me.

My solution is to reach behind and hold the hose in your left hand, so that there is no pull on the right. It makes it easier to manage the hose as well. As I walk, I am pulling the trigger/steering the sc and holding the hose in my left. Try it, it works for me.

Ditto. Are you using a big guy as well?

1> yes

2. same

3. yes