Sign in to follow this  
Hydroservices

Two quick questions!

Question

I was asked by another local PW company to do some sub contracting work for them for a relatively large size project. The job is 73 identical town homes located in an upscale neighborhood near my main city of business.

The homes are all 2700 sq. ft. and consist of Hardy Board siding with brick bases and some normal sized flat work. The deal that I have worked out so far with the owner of this company is to do all of the flat work for every home in this sub division. They range from 30x42 – 30x64 feet in size. My question for all of you is, what is a good percentage to charge for a job like this? The total contract is $7300 for all 73 homes with a completion time line of 14 days. My best estimate so far is 18% or $1300.

Secondly, I'm looking to buy a surface cleaner and I think I have found a good deal on a 20”. General Pump makes it and it’s sold through Northern Tool under this link. Do you guys think this is worth the money and are floating as good as wheeled?

Any help you guys could give me is surely appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I would pass. First off, I think the guy under estimated his bid. $100 per house and driveway for a 2,700 sq's and average driveway is low. It would be difficult to offer a bid of the drives that will be fair for you with what he's getting per.

Your 1,300 averages out to $17.80 a driveway, and that's just not enough. From your post, it seems you don't own a surface cleaner, which would make things even worse because the limited experience would hender your time even more. Even if you managed to do 10 to 15 drives a day, that's a long day for only a couple a hundred dollars.

I was asked by another local PW company to do some sub contracting work for them for a relatively large size project. The job is 73 identical town homes located in an upscale neighborhood near my main city of business.

The homes are all 2700 sq. ft. and consist of Hardy Board siding with brick bases and some normal sized flat work. The deal that I have worked out so far with the owner of this company is to do all of the flat work for every home in this sub division. They range from 30x42 – 30x64 feet in size. My question for all of you is, what is a good percentage to charge for a job like this? The total contract is $7300 for all 73 homes with a completion time line of 14 days. My best estimate so far is 18% or $1300.

Secondly, I'm looking to buy a surface cleaner and I think I have found a good deal on a 20”. General Pump makes it and it’s sold through Northern Tool under this link. Do you guys think this is worth the money and are floating as good as wheeled?

Any help you guys could give me is surely appreciated.

Ditto on passing. Those are pretty decent sized driveways. I'd be charging between $50.00 and $75.00 per driveway, which includes a volume discount.

As far as a surface cleaner, you get what you pay for. I've heard good and bad about the GP surface cleaners. If it were me, I'd spend the money and go with a quality brand like Whisper Wash (my favorite) or Steel Eagle.

Thats $100 for townhouse & driveway, the contactor is either crazy, doesnt know how to bid or lying to you.

I would pass your not going to make hardly any money

JL

It's going to be like a broken a record, but.. PASS. With a 20" cleaner, no flatwork experience, and no crew, you will be lucky to get them done in 60 hours. You factor in gas, pro rata insurance and wear and tear you will net a mediocre surface cleaner and twelve bucks an hour.

Driveways that size with commercial volume discount should be at least $100 apiece and he is gettin that for the whole job?? The hiring contractor is a knucklehead. Either that or he is pulling your leg in hopes of getting you to lowball yourself right out of business.

Am I missing something? Around here, town homes are usually grouped in sets of 5, each approximately 1600 sq ft. Duplexes come in pairs (side-by-side or up and down). In any event, I won't tell you to pass, but I will answer your question on the surface cleaner. The one from Northern (I have one) is fine, but unless you have higher gpm's (5 and up) I would stay away. The thing is very heavy and not fun to maneuver. I would suggest that you use this income opportunity (assuming you do the job) to reinvest in your company and buy a better sc. Barring that, I would suggest that you rent a good one. Locally, I can rent a Big Guy for about $120/week.

I some what agree with the passing it up. But what I would do is ignor what he said he bid at and hit him with a price that works for you i.e. no less than $50 a drive. Let him take the hit. For a surface cleaner I would go with a whisper classic I love it its light & easy to use.

Am I missing something? Around here, town homes are usually grouped in sets of 5, each approximately 1600 sq ft. Duplexes come in pairs (side-by-side or up and down).

What do you think you're missing? From what Jason said in his first post, apparently townhomes around his neck of the woods are 2700 sq ft. rather than 1600 sq ft.

By townhomes, I assume they're attached units. Depending on how many units are in one building, and whether they're 1 or 2 story, I would likely be willing to wash 73 units for $7300.00. I wouldn't be willing to do the buildings AND the flatwork for anywhere close to that price!

First off, I would like to thank all of you who posted a reply thus far.

After reading what the majority of you have said, I think I’m going to give him a bid for a minimum of $40 a drive way. I think this is fair assuming that I will be doing all of the work in that general area. As for the surface cleaner, I don’t have any experience using one but I have seen them in use several times and appreciate what all of you have said about the GP. I think I will be spending the extra money and go with a Whisper-Wash or Steel Eagle.

Lastly, the town homes in my area John Orr are connected two story homes (side-by-side) in a very upscale neighborhood. Thus, they are 2,600 sq. ft.

First off, I would like to thank all of you who posted a reply thus far.

After reading what the majority of you have said, I think I’m going to give him a bid for a minimum of $40 a drive way. I think this is fair assuming that I will be doing all of the work in that general area. As for the surface cleaner, I don’t have any experience using one but I have seen them in use several times and appreciate what all of you have said about the GP. I think I will be spending the extra money and go with a Whisper-Wash or Steel Eagle.

Lastly, the town homes in my area John Orr are connected two story homes (side-by-side) in a very upscale neighborhood. Thus, they are 2,600 sq. ft.

Once you use the surface cleaner you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. You certainly don't want to try to clean 73 driveways without it!

I could live with $40.00/each.