Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

deck cleaning help

Question

Need some help!

I just bought some efc-38, citralic, hd-80

Just tried the efc38 on my deck with lots of mold and was not impressed(it has never had stain on it). Did not come out near as good as some pics on here.

I have one to do tomorrow and one next week. I am tempted to use bleach, but there is a lot of vegetation around deck. I put it on full strength with a shur-flo and let it sit for 15 min. green mold did not come all the way off.

The deck I am doing tomorrow has a semi. Transparent on it that is 6 or 7 years old. Has green mold all over it. Need to strip, brighten , and stain. Can some of you professionals help me out with how to use these chemicals and the process to get the job done. Or a bleah process, I am scared to use bleach becUSE OF THE VEGETATION. Any help will be appreciated.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

17 answers to this question

Doug – First thought is that your deck is perhaps PT pine and built prior to 2002. Dip the corner of a rag in your straight bleach and apply to a small (half-dollar size) inconspicuous spot on a ‘molded’ area of your deck. Give it a minute to dwell. If it’s still green you may be dealing with CCA treated lumber. Post back your results.

/neil

I am scared to use bleach becUSE OF THE VEGETATION. Any help will be appreciated.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

WATER...WATER..WATER!

I use bleach all the time around plants and if they are not flowering plants it's a little easier.If they are blooming flowers just protect them from the bleach overspray with plastic till you are finished spraying the bleach.Take the plastic off after you finish spraying if it's hot and sunny cause they will burn.

You just need to rinse the plants real well with water before during and after.

Whatever chemical you use around plants can cause damage if they are not protected and or rinsed with water real well.This goes the same for a stronger chemicals like S/H stripper as hot as strippers will get it will make vegitation Burnnn also!

After it dried, it turned out pretty good.

I did try the bleach on a spot that I did not clean yet and it took the mold off quicker than the efc-38. The efc-38 will work though because it looked great after it dried.

The deck is fifteen years old (probably pt pine, what is cca treated)

Could I mix anything with the efc-38 to help it along and be more cost effective. Seems like it would be expensive to use it alone full strength. I have pure sodium percarbonate and some TSP also. Could I mix these with it, if so what ratio. Thanks!!

efc-38 already contains other ingredients that help to add a kick. Ie: It's a lite duty stripper as well.

For heavy algae on wood, I use HD-80 at 3oz. (by weight) per gallon and neutralize with citralic at 6oz./gallon

Rod!~

First of all,

I want to thank you guys for this site. It is awsome and I never knew anything like this existed. Thanks!!!

I want to do a good job on everything I do and I would rather ask seemingly dumb questions to others on this forum and look stupid than to look stupid in front of a customer. I have a lot of learning to do.

I ordered from sun brite because I have read a lot in the last month and really value your opinion. I was wondering if I could add some pure sodium per. To the efc-38 to make it stretch and save money, but not sacrifice the quality. Seems to me if I could just use 3 oz. of HD-80 instead of 8 oz. of efc-38 than I shoukld just use the hd-80 all the time and save money because they cost the same. right? Thanks again!!

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

I'm sorry Doug, I didn't realize your question was a bit more indepth. Yes the keys are rinsing and when neccessary.. see pic below.

Ken,that looks like how i cover my plants cuz you know I"m not shy to use plastic

when it's hot i'll try not to wet the plants first before i cover them in plastic.I think wetting them before you cover them makes the plants weaker as they start sweating under the plastic.Now if i do have to keep them covered for a long time after 20-30 min or so i'll uncover them and let them get some air.

Does anyone have in their bids that they are not responsable for harming plants?

I do Shane, and not just for plants. It's a disclosure that covers any potentiel damage. It's a blanket statement, that when customer signs (before I start) seals the deal from the get go. I carry ins., but it is a precautionary step.

Does anyone have in their bids that they are not responsable for harming plants?
Only if they are inter-twined with for instance; Lattice or rail systems. Otherwise we do just like Ken, plastic and tarps depending upon the plants ability to sustain the weight accordingly.

Quick tip: Put plastic on plants just before you start spraying and vent periodically those that are in direct sun to avoid cooking. Otherwise, leave a bottle of salad dressing for the homeowner and a check to replace them. ;)

Rod!~

Tomato stakes are great for keeping plastic above the plants little tops, particularly if they are not strong like shrubbery. If the plantings are low, the stakes even keep the plastic high enough for them to breathe :)

Celeste