Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Garden furniture question

Question

I recently pw our garden furniture - a table and some chairs.

I have applied a stain - teak, by brush, but I am disaapointed that the stain has not got on to every surface. Yes, on the obvious bits, but not on the sides of the slats of the chairs - in that gap between the pieces of wood.

Is there a recommened way to achieve 100% coverage? Is it best to spray on the stain/sealer/whatever?

What kind of pump/sprayer is best?

Sorry for so many questions; it really just boils down to what's the best way of getting ALL the wood covered?

Thank you,

Tim

14 answers to this question

Thanks Ken,

I have seen professional-quality spray guns etc for sale in the UK, is this also the way to go?

Also, I think I have seen in pics on TGS, you guys using a roller on the end of a pole - I am right?

Tim

My pleasure, Tim,

I am not sure about the roller on a pole, someone else might be better suited to answer as I have never used anything like that. You can setup a sprayer yourself using a shurflo type 12V DC pump. You can search for a product called a "Decker". You can also look up the terms HVLP and airless. I prefer HVLP sprayers. I use a Shurflo setup I made which is decent. I also have a true HVLP system I run off a compressor. I also use the throwaway Wagner Control Sprayers so my guys aren't sitting around waiting for me to spray so they can backbrush. Those work well on spindles and lawn furniture.

Thanks,

Could you be good enough to look at this website's page about sprayers and tell me if I am in the right area? I notice that HVLP you mention, Ken.

Yes, I was wondering about how you deal with spindles, and it must be nigh-on impossible NOT to spray an area twice, isn't it? No matter how careful, you must have to try to spray up to the last edge I suppose.

Anyway, my main query was about equipment, because I just cannot see myself brushing and entire deck, or a table for that matter.!

Here's the link - it's a UK website.

http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/list_products.php?category=Spray%20Equipment%20and%20Accessories

Tim,

Teak oiling furniture, is quite easy.

P/W first, let furniture completely dry out.

First coat use a brush, then between coats I lightly rub over either very fine sand paper or wirewool, (Check no strands of wool get snaged on wood) then for second coat, I use a lint free cloth and apply.

Yes it does take time but the finsh can be fantasic, here is a link to some photos of a teak finish I did a few weeks ago.

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/showthread.php?t=6377

If you do ever go the sprayer route, remember to cover surrounding grass etc, for over-spray. depending on the size of the deck, you could use a pump-up sprayer, but again watch out for over spray.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes, that's a fantastic job there. Nice and dark.

I did our a while back and the oil I used had a stain in it - the furniture came out a bit orangey, which is ok - ish. I had previously tried clear teak oil and it hardly made any difference - I was brushing it on mind.

I saw those HVLP (don't know what that means, btw!) pumps on the AGW website and thought they looked pretty cool - but maybe only for volume work.

Tim

Roger and Tim from the mother country,

Read Jim Foley's post previous. Hand rubbing with lambswool on teak or any other hardwood garden furniture is easier, faster, and better than spraying. You can work the oil into the wood. You can see and feel it. Over application of oil will turn the wood blackish in a short period of time. Does not penetrate but forms a film. Food for mold and mildew.

By the way Tim, HVLP means "High Volume, Low Pressure".

Rick, thank you... before I shell out on another machine... lambswool...

Sorry, but I'm sure Jim Foley is well known here, but I don't know of him. Have you a link to his profile - I cannot find him in the member search.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Jim Foley posted the 5th message on this thread. He is the personage with the parrot on his head. Do not let that picture fool you, he does know wood.

I'm not sure if you are "pulling my leg" or I'm not sure how to say it in proper English, fooling me? Lambswool is not a machine, its a material. Just what it says, it is the hide and wool of a lamb. In other words, leathery genuine skin with natural wool attached. It is used in the US for applying oils to hardwoods by hand.

RICK! Stop making me laugh!!!

I'm sorry, really sorry, when I said 'before I buy another machine', I meant that as I progress through this career I seem to keep buying another machine for another task. Yesterday I bought a comb binder for some portfolio of my work that I am putting together.

I really didn't think that lambswool was a machine! :) This has made me smile lots, and I have only just awoke and come on the pc!

Anyway, all confusion about lambswool and Jim Foley has been cleared. And Jim, every time I search for lambswool I will think of that parrot.

Serious question.... one I asked already really, is how best to get your oil into that space between the slats of wood that you might find on chairs, tables etc?

I am chuckling away to myself in anticipation.

Regards

Tim

Tim,

Even though we both speak and write in the English language, idioms, dialect, and slang often make communication difficult. That is funny about the lambswool, I was saying to myself, "Who is this thick limey bloke, it is the wool of a lamb!" Glad you had a good chuckle this morning!

I use a thin oil stain. By soaking the lambswool pad well, and applying hand pressure, the excess oil flows or "runs" into the cracks between slats.

To get into the space between the slats you could also tape a piece of cotton rag around a paint stick or any thin, flat piece of wood and use that to apply the oil between slats.