Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

wood tux question

Question

I am putting some wood tux on a deck for a customer. I just have to try it out. It's the first time with WTW. The deck already has an old stain on it that I will have to strip. Using HD-80! Citralic or wood britener from sun brite is what I will neutrilize it with! The deck is PT Pine and is in full sun all day. If I strip it correctly, neutrilize, and spray with a HVLP how long should it look good? (warm honey gold) Will it still look great after 2 years?

Also has anyone used severe strip from sun brite supply (is it good)?

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

11 answers to this question

Severe Strip is for film forming stains. it is not stronger than Remove, it just works better on film stains. Yes it works good, I like getting the 30 gallon drums, I use them over later. They are shipped as a concentrate, so you don't pay for shipping a lot of water. Fill up to top, then apply to deck. Different for Remove, starts as slurry, fill to top, then you have a concentrate. Cut 4 to 1 with water, and you have a RTU mix, (Ready To Use)

Beth and Rod would be best to advise you on wood tux longevity. I can only tell you from my limited knowlege that it is a fantastic product. It penetrates nicely and does not form a classic film by any stretch of the imagination. I have walked on it 30 minutes after application with zero footprints. You can see by consistency it is a quality product. Many abandon the product after one use because it is unfamiliar to them. I think that is a mistake as the profit potential is great (the coverage of this stuff is phenomenal) It has it's

downfalls but so does everything I've tried.

rich, do you like the HD-80 or the other sun brite strippers?

Ken, what downfalls from your experience are you speaking of with the wtw?

Thanks, guys!!

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Downfalls are a personal thing. It's hard to tint it to the right color unless you can test it on the wood. The color in the can, is not what it sets up as..

I find it hard to work with on a deck that is soaking wet. I prefer to schedule two strips one day, then return the next to seal.

I do not like it on cedar. It's hard to get away from the oragnge-ish tone. Also, cedar furs and applying a sealer right away after cleaning is not a wonderful idea. It should be dried and de-burred first.

I have enough experience doing wood resto and with various selaers that I can tell Wood Tux will last. The few decks I did last year with it look I did them yesterday. Granted we had a mild winter but I doubt anything else out there would look as good..(except maybe Cabot's SPF, right, Rick?)

This is a personal thing but I think the stock color is a bit too yellow. You have to watch what type of wood you put it on.

I will be putting it on Pt pine. Have you applied to this before?

How do you tint the wtw, Sun brite does not have anything available for this?

I was thinking about the cabot's SPF also, but have never used it either. Do you like this product or have you had much exsperience with it. I know it has not been out very long though!

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Cabot's SPF is JUNK. The person to whom I wrote that little aside will be caling me tonight and cursing me out. Stay away from acrylics.

Yes I have put it on PTP. It goes on as a yellowish clear. Just not my bag. Some people have said they love it. It's just a personal preference. It's the closest you can get to a clear and still have UV protection. I get my products and tints directly from ESI.

(except maybe Cabot's SPF, right, Rick?)

Nice to wake up to this. Hate getting riled in the morning. Foul acrylics should be banned until these greedy, self-serving stain manufacturers make a stripper that works on removing their own garbage.

Doug,

Cabot's use to make good oil semi-trans and solid stains. Used some solid last year. So thick that you needed to thin the stain with mineral spirits, but saw the deck this spring and it looks fine. Problem here in the Northeast is that they have changed their stain formulas to try to comply with the harsh VOC regs and you are not sure what you are getting.

Anybody use this year's production of Austrailian Timber oil? Notice any differences?

This is wood tux wet with no tint on PTP.

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/showthread.php?t=5500

padded in stain, one coat only

the pic here is with red tint in WTW. I used about 4 oz of tint to 5gallons. From some angles its very dark, others like this one it looks more orange.

Havnt tinted brown yet. I love the ease of use with this stuff, but havnt used many others to compare.

post-4622-137772156345_thumb.jpg

If manufacturers are reducing the spirits in the can so it can pass VOC laws, is that a bad thing - wouldn't we basically get more product for about the same money, as they would be hesitant to raise the price on a can. I can always add my own spirits in.

-Dan