Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

Just plain Poed

Question

Ok, did an estimate today and the homes is as follows all vinyal, 2 car attached 2 story and 3 story in rear. Gave my estimate over phone like customer asked and was told another company did it last year for 275 and took 5-6hrs. i agreed to match the price because 1. i'm still marketing myself and 2. can do it in 3hrs 3. need business. So i called this company that said 275 and gave them the specifics and they said right over the phone 350. Now maybe I am not as good at quotes but how in the hell can a compmany give you a price over the phone and not even look at the place? Maybe you veterns can do that but I need to look, what kind of things are on the house? mold mildew fungus whatever. What obstacles are in my way? I'm sure there are more things to consider but Damm. thanks soory for boring yall. please chime in with your .02

24 answers to this question

Could be a couple of things, but I always seemed to know when I was being 'shopped' by a competitor. I would give a price much higher then I would really charge. There could be other things, and I never did a house wash so take this for what it's worth.

John

It was'nt even the competition it was the H-O and now i feel like s**t because i did'nt tell him to stick it. Well i guess it's the comp too with their price over the phone thing. thanks for listening.

I wont do an estimate over the phone, but if theyre persistant, Ill toss out, "somewhere between $229 and $599......but until I see it, the price will be in there somewhere. people can be a bit goofy, so I try to explain the differences between 2 houses that are the same size, but different problems, new vinyl vs old faded dark colored aluminum, no landscaping vs heavy brush, easy gutters vs nasty black crud.....they seem to understand

Now maybe I am not as good at quotes but how in the hell can a compmany give you a price over the phone and not even look at the place?

I'll tell you what i'm doing now on some new jobs/bids that are pretty far away or i'm just too friggin busy .Ask the homwowner to take some pics and e-mail them to you so you can see what you are up agianst.It's easier than throwing a price out there but like Mike said you give them a range of price and see how serious they are so you don't waste your time.It's hard to hear the word NO but after a while you will notice there is another job to clean around the corner.

I don't know about you but i cover 100's of miles around Houston and if i can look at a pic and I will feel better when I'm charging xxxx..more because of the pool,plants etc i'm working around.

Now I only work on decks,cedar houses etc and after 9 yrs i can just look at a deck and guess the size within 100 sqft or so.It all comes with exp.and i imagine it's the same for washing houses.

You say you are still marketing yourself now and If i was you try to find a specialty type cleaning service that you are not fighting for every nickel and dime on bids.It's worked for us in cleaning and sealing decks etc. to do only wood restoration and now the repeat biz is non stop.It also lets us justify charging a premium price for such a service that is not so common around town. :cool:

I have no problem giving quotes over the phone. In fact, at $3/gal and 13 mpg, I prefer it. I always offer to come and look, and tell them that to give an exact quote I will need to see the house, but my price is 10 cents/sq ft - give or take. Most of my customers' homes are between 2200 and 3000 sq ft., so the average charge is $220 to $300. People understand that the price of gas makes it expensive to do "free" estimates and I rarely have anyone insist on an in-person estimate.

John

P.S. I get the job most of the time - 80% or so - for two reasons: I wash houses without pressure; I was willing to give an estimate over the phone; and the fact that I answered the phone at all. People are busy and appreciate getting service when the want it.

Don't get caught up in the games people play to get a good deal out of you. they WILL PLAY YOU! The company may also be misleading you to make sure they have the lowest price to win the job. Especially so if they think you are a contractor.

We give phone quotes for house washing (mildew and algae removal only) by type and its based upon OUR price scale. We also make sure the customer understands that this is a phone quote only and that the actual price may change upon actual inspection the day of our arrival. It's the only way to make sure we aren't getting conned by the customer. This has happened in the past where they would tell us one thing on the phone and the actual was something significantly more. They would even try to tell me that we agreed to do add-ons for the same price.

There are some really crafty people out there.

Rod!~

If it requires oxidation removal, then we need to inspect before a price quote will be given.

I Do Roofs In Florida Mosty Barrel Tile..anyway If The Customer Asks For An Over The Phone Estimate I Inform TheM That Its A Guestimate. But I Go On The Assumption They Are Not Lying, As For The Competition Calling Get The Name And Address FirSt Or Ask For The Neiborhood, This Will Give You A Better Idea For Price You May Have Done Work In The Nieborhood And Can Give A More Accurate Price. If You Want You Can Also Offer To Call Them Back Go To Property Appaisers Website. Go To Aerial Shot Of The House. Also It List The Actual Sq, Footage. Most Of The Time The Home Owner Will Give The Under Air Sq, Footage, That Is Not Good, Most 2 Car Garages Are At Leat 1000 Sq Foot

IAfter evaluating things I think the price VS the time it will take me to do the home is great, just pissed about having to lower the price to meet the comp, oh well.

I used to be very particular about seeing the place first, but over the years have done many over the phone.

I ask the pertinent questions that relate to the job, and then give them a starting price, stating that the price may be higher once I get there.

It works very well for me, saves me time, makes it convenient for the customer, and many more. This is for residential only though, as I always look at commercial first.

Press 'Play' on Tape number 1...Rule 1

If you give a homeowner nothing else to go on but price, that is the information with which he will make his decision.

Unless you are the lowest priced guy in your area, you have lost more than you have saved by giving a quote over the phone.

I am not apologizing if this offends some people, this is business. I know how to not only stay in business I know how to offer a value service at a maximum margin. I'll share what I have learned in business, sales and marketing but it seems that some will never change their thought patterns. Those guys will continue to gain a larger piece of mediocrity.

A fellow business owner mentioned to me on the phone that he is "not looking to get rich". This was a very nice guy that performs quality work but also a guy that has lost focus. Is he not in business to make money? Why the guilt of making more dollars?

I have spent great deals of money on logo design, printed material, advertising, logo'd clothing and a business lifetime of understanding customer psychology and sales technique. Is it a next logical step to stay home and give quotes over the phone? Not for me it isn't. If you aren't out there selling, you aren;t doing the most you can to be successful.

Had one just this week, man calls and wants a estimate, I go out that same evening and give him a price of $320. Said that he is getting other prices and I told him great if he needs my service just give us a call and we'll go from there. Called me back 2 days later and said that he got 2 other quotes 1. for $250 and 1. for $275 Said that I could have the job if I would do it for $300 He said that I was the only one that came out and looked at, The other 2 quotes were over the phone. I wasn't for sure what to think wether he was pulling my leg or this was true so I decided to stand my ground for once. I'm the kind that I always give in to easy but this time said nope thats my bottom $$. So he says well thanks for the estimate Have a good day. So I'm thinking I lost the job 2 days later he calls back and says yea come out and do it!! OK I think he was playing games with me!!

Why did he go with me over the other guys that are $25-50 less than me??

Did he get any other bids even??

Its rare that I do estimates over the phone. Sometimes when its a concrete patio or something along those lines then I can and do estimates over the phone if I'm given the exact size of it. I also have a minimum charge now which is $150 to even break out the hose so every job is $150 and up. I also except digital pictures thru my email and Have given prices thru that process.

For Commercial I always go out and measure/size up what it is that I'm asked to give an estimate for...

I've been thinking about gettint them to email pix. Hows does people look at that I've just wonder how many people have a digtal camera? Know how to use it? and if they could manage to get them emailed to you?

Just wondering if it would be more cofusing that its worth??

Why did he go with me over the other guys that are $25-50 less than me??

Did he get any other bids even??

There's a good chance that he was working you, trying to beat you out of 20 bucks so he could feel like he 'won'.

That kind of behavior contributes to the cynical old sales saw "How can you tell if a buyer is lying? His lips are moving."

If you give a homeowner nothing else to go on but price, that is the information with which he will make his decision.

Unless you are the lowest priced guy in your area, you have lost more than you have saved by giving a quote over the phone.

I am not apologizing if this offends some people, this is business. I know how to not only stay in business I know how to offer a value service at a maximum margin. I'll share what I have learned in business, sales and marketing but it seems that some will never change their thought patterns. Those guys will continue to gain a larger piece of mediocrity.

A fellow business owner mentioned to me on the phone that he is "not looking to get rich". This was a very nice guy that performs quality work but also a guy that has lost focus. Is he not in business to make money? Why the guilt of making more dollars?

I have spent great deals of money on logo design, printed material, advertising, logo'd clothing and a business lifetime of understanding customer psychology and sales technique. Is it a next logical step to stay home and give quotes over the phone? Not for me it isn't. If you aren't out there selling, you aren;t doing the most you can to be successful.

Ken is 1000000000000000000% right. OK - 10000000000000000000.1% right.

Damm Ken you are soo damm right and for sure you know your SHIzNIT about our biz and all !:cool:

I need to find some time to up to Pa. in the Winter and pick your brain in your slow season.There is still soo much more for me to learn even after 9 yrs in this profession.I think it's more of the marketing side of the biz side i need to learn more about rather than the restoration/applicating part that i think i have that covered i think....ummmmm yeah i could say for the most part i can clean about any job i come up against!

We used to get so many waste of time calls 20min-45 min.They will listen your process of the cleaning and sealing a deck then guess what they get a wild hair and try it themselves.Now i'm not against a homeowner do it yourself project if they atleast buy the stain we use that is pretty easy to use if the deck is prepped right there should be no problems.It's them going to the Depot an buying crap that seems to never turn out they the way they planned."Help Me my deck looks horrible"

There were times that when i gave a bid and didn't get a call back when i had a good feeling i would have.Well lets say in my beginning I didn't handle rejection to well and you could say i took it personal not being able to get the job i quoted and spent time talking to the customer selling my services.It was hard to swallow having the feeling of "what a waste of my time".I'm thinking that most people don't have a clue what it will cost them to have you restore and transform their backyard.I think it's the sticker shock that gets them and they look for a quick and easy fix and we all know the quick fix never last long and is a waste of time/$$ in the long run.

I guess I'm not the only guy who thinks that their work is the best that any customer will find right?It's all in the confidence and attitude you must have when selling your services BE FAIR but FIRM.I think it's VERY important to stick by your prices and not to let someone talk you down price because they have so many other expenses they have.Hey it's sure not one of the most glamorous jobs but taking pride in our profession is very important and should never be forgotten

"Now i will say it is very humbling to hear everyone here on the TGS and the deckguide compliment my pics i post" It's actually pretty damm :cool:

The most important reason that i like to post really nasty before/after pics is to show that it's not really as hard to restore decks,fences etc.when it's done with the right chems/stain and certain techniques.

Now I'm not saying every job will be always easy to do everytime especially new jobs that you had thought you had seen the worst nasty job till the one you are looking at.It never gets easier to work on those HOT muggy days,soaking wet,and even better driving home smelling like you have just been dipped in a barrel of bleach :D Well atleast you are clean and sanitized but damm i can still smell like bleach for sometime after that day.Then on the bright side i've just cleaned any bit of stain left on my hands from the staining job the day before

Now if it's a $$ thing and you are losing out to a job quoted $100 under your bid There is not much you can about that someone trying to cut corners and save a few nickels for a service that we all know is worth every penny we can make.So in that same breath i don't feel bad about charging a high/fair price in my mind for a tough job that i know the homeowner will realize after i'm done that they got their moneys worth after you are finished.Then now i'm getting more customers undertsanding how important it is to get on a clean and seal maint.program.So they will not have to spend so much money to get a major cleaning and restain if they wait like 5 or 6 yrs before calling you again.

I'm sorry for all the rambling and hope most of it makes sense because there is ALWAYS A REASON BEHIND THE MADNESS in our jobs we do everyday!! :cool:

I think all the SPICY CRAWFISH i cooked tonight has me in a typing mood

I Do Roofs In Florida Mosty Barrel Tile..anyway If The Customer Asks For An Over The Phone Estimate I Inform TheM That Its A Guestimate. But I Go On The Assumption They Are Not Lying, As For The Competition Calling Get The Name And Address FirSt Or Ask For The Neiborhood, This Will Give You A Better Idea For Price You May Have Done Work In The Nieborhood And Can Give A More Accurate Price. If You Want You Can Also Offer To Call Them Back Go To Property Appaisers Website. Go To Aerial Shot Of The House. Also It List The Actual Sq, Footage. Most Of The Time The Home Owner Will Give The Under Air Sq, Footage, That Is Not Good, Most 2 Car Garages Are At Leat 1000 Sq Foot

YOU HAVE CONVERTED ME I WILL NO LONGER BE DOING OVER THE PHONE ESTIMATES. IF ITS THE LOW BALLER WINS GAME I DO NOT WANT TO BE PART OF THAT, AND MY PERSONALITY MOST OF THE TIME GETS ME A LOB, ALSO I HAVE PICTURES AND BLA BLAH BLAH, THE INTERACTING WITH THE CUSTOMER IS PRICELESS,,,,,,,,,,,,

I too agree with Ken.

So, I give them more than price. The name of my company says that I am different and I add my website to all my listings/ads. By the time a customer calls me, he will either know all about my company or have questions before we ever get to price.

I do not "negotiate" prices. When asked if I can do better, or confronted with a lower quote, I explain that when asked for an estimate, I assume they wanted my best price up-front. To lower it now would be an insult to them - meaning I was trying to overcharge them to begin with. Since the majority of my business is repeat and referral, I can't afford to charge everybody different prices, I must stay consistent.

I normally won't back down on prices. I had a job that I bid in January that was around $15k and after they got my price the called and asked if I would look over the numbers again. I told them I looked at them before I sent them to them. They called 3 weeks ago, finished job this past weekend.