Sign in to follow this  
steffysmom

Help, I spilled ready seal

Question

on trex decking :(

I was staining the ballusters of a deck yesterday and placed my paint pan on the edge of the deck--wind came along and spilled about 4 ounces of dark brown ready seal on the grey trex decking--blotted as much up as soon as possible, doused the area with mineral spirits, cleaned that up and sprayed area with HD-80 and let it dwell about 30 minutes to get the area saturated. It was dark last night when I left the customers so I have no idea what I'm going back to this morning. Any other ideas to clean the trex deck if I'm faced with a mess this morning ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 answers to this question

Ouch! Dark brown no less. I've dripped Ready Seal on Trex before but never had a large spill. Hope Ken is right and the stain is not noticeable. It sounds like you did the right thing with materials on hand.

With Ready Seal, I always have a spray bottle of Simple Green on hand. Seems no matter what the surface, including concrete, Simple Green will get the RS off if you douse the area well and scrub a bit with a hard bristle brush. Most important is that you clean off the RS as soon as the mishap occurs. Never tried it on a large spill on Trex. If the stain still shows, you could try the Simple Green, scrubbing, and rinsing with water a few times.

Belt sander on Trex? You can sand that stuff? I never knew that.

If the HD-80 didn't take it out, I doubt anything else would. I have had tiny drops from rail overspray tarps flip onto them wrong side down and I have never had a problem... but.... it wasn't Ready Seal.

The nice thing about RS, is it stays wet for a few days, any butyl soap full strength on that let sit 30 min to 1 hour should have got it up, and HD 80 is stronger than butyl so you shouldnt have a stain when returning, if you do keep applying HD 80 let sit for an hour or 2 and dont let it dry, then hi pressure off hot water, I clean trex decks all the time, I use stripper with hot water, its the only thing that will get these decks clean, cleaning trex is as tough as stripping behr stain from wood decks, so I charge the same for both,

problem is people think trex is maint free, and really they are worse they need 2-3 cleanings a year

I actually should have said finer grade sandpaper. Courser paper will be very noticable. I tried trex handrails with ??? stains on it and lightened with S.H. and it worked fine. Note.... not talking baring down with all your might on the sander either. Just lifting the stains and then spritzing 12% over sanded area to match rest of trex railing.

showed up at the customers property yesterday morning and I am happy to say that the large spill was gone, however, there were a few droplets that I didn't see the evening before--treated them with HD-80 yesterday, neutralized it and we are good to go. Finished staining the ballusters for the customer yesterday and they are extremely happy and so am I.

I appreciate everyone's responses--great to have such good resources as you guys and gals !

I was on the phone with Ready Seal discussing other things and mentioned this thread. May be of benefit to problems in the future. The reply as follows.

My suggestion would be to use a butyl cleaner. this is

what they use to clean oil out of concrete at service

stations. Butyl actually lifts the oil. I do not know how

long it would have to dwell. The trick is that you have

to lift it out when it lifts. If you do not then it just falls

back into the substrate. Cat liter would on top will

absorb it when it comes out.

Your suggestion of simple green might work if he lets

it dwell for 20 minutes. Letting dwell is the key.

Hope this helps someone.