Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Washing Trex (black spots)

Question

I have to wash a Trex deck tomorrow. It has the typical black spots on it. I'm thinking of using E-Plus or SH on it. Is there a better way?

Thanx in advance, Jarrod

29 answers to this question

Bleach bleach and more bleach and very little pressure. Better yet if you use Chlorine put it in a bucket straight and then x-jet the trex deck where it comes out 2-1 where it makes it equivlent to the strength of bleach straight...You may even have to x-jet the deck more then once to make those black dots disappear...oh yea did I say use very little pressure....

Jarrod, you can lower your bleach ratio and reduce the risk of excessive fading by brushing, but John is right, most times it takes at least a 6% solution of sodium hypochlorite. I wouldn't use any other type of caustic on it.

Sometimes that black is not just mildew, but tannin bleed. TREX does contain wood. Make sure you have the chems with you to deal with tannin bleeding as well, or you might find yourself with no backup...and a deck that is not finished.

Beth :cup: :groovy:

Not sure if it matters as Trex does not seem to stand by their product and honor warranties.

I was advised last month that using any cleaner other than sodium percarbonate voids the Trex 10 year warranty for the homeowner.

Good morning Beth,

I'm on my third cup of java and ready to go.

By chance instead of design, I have always used straight sodium percarbonate on the few Trex decks that I maintain. It seems to work well, takes the mold and mildew off nicely, and brightens up the surface a bit.

This picture is a job I did earlier this spring and is the 2nd time the Trex has been cleaned with percarb. Trex is 8 yrs. old and had 3 yrs. of dirt and mildew, but cleaned up ok for a composite. Have not run into the notorious tannin bleed issue yet.

Rick, from what source did you hear that you cannot use bleach? I have done warranty cleanings for Trex in the past and after getting the product and MSDS that Trex wanted me to use to do their cleanings, I just mixed my own. You can guess what the constituents of the cleaner were.. They may have rethought this procedure though.

Yeah, but how does a person prove that 'acid rain' didn't initiate the tannin bleeding?

Their warranty is a result of the class action suit to keep themselves out of future hot water.

Rod!~

Ken,

Rick, from what source did you hear that you cannot use bleach?

I posted a question last month about NaOH and Trex as the job you see in the picture had to be stripped of old stain on the cedar balustrade and PT fascia. Everett Abrams of Deck Restoration Plus was kind enough to call me and discuss Trex. I believe he has worked with them sometime in the past. Everett offered the info but it is possible I misunderstood something.

In practice it may not matter. Anyone have any customers that have had warranty work paid by Trex and the composite was cleaned by other chems?

Hey Ken, Do you get a lot of warranty work from Trex? I called them up twice to let them know that I would be interested in doing the warranty work cleanings in this area but I didnt hear back from them. Dont mean to hijack.

Is staining a trex very difficult. I have to give a guy a bid on about 2200 sq ft I would like to know what I am running up against.

Thanks

Is there a source for learning more on staining composites?

I've stained a few composite decks Pete with Gray Away Cedar Dark it looks just like new brown composite decking.It takes a little while to soak in but my customers have been very happy how's it holds up.

I use only bleach/soap to clean my composite decks on 2 yrs maintance.

BTW, how much per sq. ft. do you guys charge for this?

no pics Jarrod?? how big was it?

My cleaning charges will depend how far the job is and size but no less than $300.I will majority of time also stain the deck @.60 sqft.If i'm just going to clean the deck,I would be around $350-$400 for 800- 1000 sqft.

I think cleaning composites are pretty easy to clean since they are so tough and durable.

Hey Jarrod,

Call Trex to see if you can do the cleanings for them in your area. I do warranty work for them here and they pay well. $1.50 sq. ft to clean and seal each deck with Trex supplying some of the cleaner and all of the sealer. Just to give you a fast example on this..last week I cleaned and sealed a 660 sq.ft Trex deck thru Trex. The whole process took about 2 total hours and it paid me $1080. That was a great day for me and my worker since we had a nice job in between which made it a $2000/day with the Trex being the easy part.

Call Trex..........

Hey Jarrod,

Call Trex to see if you can do the cleanings for them in your area. I do warranty work for them here and they pay well. $1.50 sq. ft to clean and seal each deck with Trex supplying some of the cleaner and all of the sealer. Just to give you a fast example on this..last week I cleaned and sealed a 660 sq.ft Trex deck thru Trex. The whole process took about 2 total hours and it paid me $1080. That was a great day for me and my worker since we had a nice job in between which made it a $2000/day with the Trex being the easy part.

Call Trex..........

Nice payday!

John what type of sealer you are using for composites oil base/ water base?

pigmented/clear?

I take it it's a product made by Trex?

hmmm maint.free products huh ! :rolleyes:

who's pays for this work the customer/Trex?

Shane - Sorry, I forgot my camera! The deck was about 600 sq. ft. I charged 400.00 to clean it.

John - I will call Trex! Thanx for the tip!

Shane - Sorry, I forgot my camera! The deck was about 600 sq. ft. I charged 400.00 to clean it.

John - I will call Trex! Thanx for the tip!

Did that $400 include the underside of the deck too? How long did the job take you? Believe me, I'm one for getting top dollar for our work but if you tried to get $400 to clean a 600sq.ft deck here in central fl. people would laugh or try to have you arrested. I hope some floridians will back this up, I'm gonna need some ammo against some northern wood guys........coughfennercoughcough.