Sign in to follow this  
PLD

I quit smoking & I'm patting myself on the back!

Question

I just got this in my inbox from QuitNet:

Your Quit Date is:Friday, October 21, 2005 at 11:59:59 PM

Time Smoke-Free:202 days, 5 hours, 31 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked:4044

Lifetime Saved:1 month, 21 hours Money Saved:$710.50

Hurrah for me! Unfortunately, you poor ba****rds will have to listen to me ramble on for 1 month, 21 hours longer than you would have otherwise. ;)

15 answers to this question

I just got this in my inbox from QuitNet:

Your Quit Date is:Friday, October 21, 2005 at 11:59:59 PM

Time Smoke-Free:202 days, 5 hours, 31 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked:4044

Lifetime Saved:1 month, 21 hours Money Saved:$710.50

Hurrah for me! Unfortunately, you poor ba****rds will have to listen to me ramble on for 1 month, 21 hours longer than you would have otherwise. ;)

Hi Philip,

Congrats! Quiting smoking can be difficult from what I hear. This deserves a pat on the back.

Mike

good job Philip, congrats! I'm trying to help my dad stop, but I don't think the prodding and making fun of him is working too well :) What was your method of quitting? He tried the patches once and would smoke with one of those stupid patches on his arm. Not good......

Good job Philip! I quit for two years and fell back into it. I conquered the drink demon, smoking is next. When my Dad quit, he said that he adopted the frame of mind of getting pis**d off at the tobacco companies for trying to kill him and he wasn't going to let them. He's been off for over ten years. For those of you who haven't ever smoked, words can't describe how hard it is to quit.

I smoke two packs of Kool Milds a day and drink maybe two cases of Heineken a week. Been doing this for the past 30 years.

Do not think I could stand the sufferings of life without decent beer and killer tobacco.

Quitting cigarettes is possibly the hardest habit to break. Congratulations to you, Philip.

Congrats on the quiting philip, its been 10 years for myself and its the best thing I could have ever done. Give it about 6 months and you wont even remember how hard it was to quit.......Rick, dude???? 14pks of smokes and 2 case's of beer a week????? Take it easy Bro, hate to see a guy go out early.

Congrats Philip!! As some of you know, I quit smoking some months back, but what most don't know is A fell off the wagon. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

nicotine is tougher to kick than heroin...that is a fact

Im soooooo addicted to nicotine its ridiculous, I need to get off the Kodiak. To get the nicotine from cigarettes instead of the chew, I'd need 2 smokes going at the same time 24-7.......

I just know with the stressors of my regular job and life in general, without some sort of nicotine relief, I'd surely become homicidal very fast.....

He tried the patches once and would smoke with one of those stupid patches on his arm. Not good......

I smoked with a patch too. Finally settled on Wellbutrin (Zyban). Worked very well for me. All said and done, the most important thing is the desire and comittment to be a non-smoker. Read that carefully. It's not the decision to quit that is important, it's the comittment to be a non-smoker. Kind of like deciding to be an astronaut at 16 knowing full well that you will not see it come to fruition for 20 years. But you go at it hard and fast today for the payoff in 20 years.

Tips for family: Nagging is useless. A smoker nags himself more than you could, and that doesn't help. Support their efforts to become a non-smoker and understand that slip-ups are just temporary setbacks and not failures.

Good job Philip! I quit for two years and fell back into it. I conquered the drink demon, smoking is next. When my Dad quit, he said that he adopted the frame of mind of getting pis**d off at the tobacco companies for trying to kill him and he wasn't going to let them. He's been off for over ten years. For those of you who haven't ever smoked, words can't describe how hard it is to quit.

Don't kick yourself. I quit for 5 years, fell off for 2, and now have made it back to 6 months.

And you're right. There is nothing in my life that is as difficult and mind consuming as nicotine. It's OCD for those without OCD.

Do not think I could stand the sufferings of life without decent beer and killer tobacco.

I did it largely for my kids. Tobacco is one of the great pleasures of life. If it would not carve years off my life, I would never have quit...

Congrats Philip!! As some of you know, I quit smoking some months back, but what most don't know is A fell off the wagon. Oh well, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

You didn't fall off the wagon, every time you stub one out you have just quit smoking again. How long you stay quit each time is up to you.

Congratulations Philip, I'm glad to hear you are committed to being a non-smoker.

I quit two years ago last April 25th at 12:40 in the AM. At about 12:45 a guy collided with the vehicle in which I was a passenger. At 1:30 or so, I committed to being a non-smoker as the rescue squad was strapping me to the backboard and I was wheezing and terrified that I would start coughing. (The internal injuries and broken bones were painful enough without hacking.)

I quit with the aid of morphine and various other painkillers, and a stay in intensive care, but it was the committment to stay a non-smoker that really set me straight. I don't miss them, I was sure I would, but I don't really even remember the habit clearly anymore. I got off easy: Most former smokers have to go through a gauntlet of physical and emotional and mental withdrawals that lifelong non-smokers will probably never have to endure, and I got to float through in a heavily altered condition.

I don't smoke now because I don't think of myself as a smoker at all.

When you are done patting your back, I'll pat for you. I don't know if I ever would have been able to quit any other way, I'm glad for anybody that quits, regardless of how, but to do it and be committed to being a person that doesn't smoke has worked for many people.

I've posted this before, if any smoker out there wants to quit, I'm here to lead cheers or make bets, or whatever I can to help.

Congratulations... Good for you. People like you are gonna put nurses like me put out of work.... that is OK though... I make more money powerwashing anyhow.

No really... I see a lot of messed up sick people from thier smoking.... Again, Good for you,!!!!!