Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

I was a deck virgin - until today...

Question

Rightho boys, this morning saw me clean my first deck... I know there have been lots of 'first decks' here already, but indulge me...

You might remember that a few days ago I made a post asking for info on a deck I was asked to clean that was made from iroko - I subsequently found that this is also known as African teak.

Anyway, this deck was as grey as they come. It was about ten years old, and someone with a household pressure washer had 'cleaned' it about three years ago, and indeed the customers then were 'happy', in their words. Anyway, they called me in this time - in response to one of my adverts in the local post office.

I have never cleaned a deck before, and have VERY limited experience of pw any kind of wood. Well, I cranked up the machine and got to work. I used full power (3000 psi) but held the lance well off the wood. I used a 45 degree tip, rather than the 15 degree tip, as I really wanted to tone things down and start off low and work up. This tactic worked well, and the crud came off nicely.

Anyway, yak yak, the deck came up lovely. Now, I did not use any chems, and certainly not bleach as the owners did not want the side or the hand rails etc cleaned, and any run-off would have screwed them right up.

I did not offer any oils or finishes, given my limited knowledge, but I would definitely appreciate ANY input on this matter from you guys. Please.

I have to say that I am so happy that my first deck was this beautiful, and expensive, iroko. What a result, imo; there is so much cheaper softwood decking in the UK, you would be shocked. This deck was small, but the wood was fantactic, and although it isn't shown, the setting in this English garden (hi Rick!), was lovely.

And they want me to go back next year too.

All the best,

Tim

Here ya go, and no, they wanted the bench left covered in lichens and grime!

dsc02572small3uy.jpg

dsc02578small8hl.jpg

Here are the afters - with flash...

dsc02591small6mv.jpg

dsc02590small9ax.jpg

Obviously it's still wet, but I hope this brings out the beauty of this exotic wood.

10 answers to this question

Tim,

Congratulations! First deck and its a teak! It must be the Wimpenny maiden name grandmother on on my father's side but you Brits are the most welcomed addition to this web site in a long time. Refreshing. The wood looks great and will continue to look great. Don't do anything, allow the wood to dry and weather to a patina. Aside from nuclear war, nothing harms teak. No oil, no special hardwood stains, your customer purchased one of the finest woods available. No problem.

You may just have an account for life. The customer wants you to come back in a year. In your climate, that is probably the perfect maintenance.

Here ya go, and no, they wanted the bench left covered in lichens and grime!

Tim, your countrymen can be downright loveable. If someone in New Jersey had a bench like that, they'd throw it away for a new one! Its probably a very good hardwood that will last for 50 years. Three cheers and one on the house for the Brits!

Tim, jolly good effort and all that stuff !! Cheer's and Table's !! I have a couple of customer's that like " the English Green Slime Garden Look". I converted these people to like the benches " White and Antique looking" Take 12% bleach and a squirt of soap - straight- apply to teak and let sit for 5 min's rinse with no pressure. Re-apply if mold is still there. Again no pressure. England will be calling with the results you achieved by following the BDA. Bleach Dweller's of America !!!!

And Teak master..

Diamond Jim

BDA

geez......... thanks chaps!

Well, I'm pretty chuffed with it, and it is a lovely wood, no doubt.

You are all gents and scholars.

Tim,

Pure, real English. Read me a bedtime story. I am entranced by the language. Hail Britanania! Keep it up.

Americans will have you on 5 different stains and 13 various chemical mixes in no time. Enjoy it while you can.

Congrats TIM No Chemicals at all? GREAT job.

Shame they did not want the seat/bench done though.

Get that first "Bleach bath" done and you"ll be away.

Hang in there mate,

Roger