Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Steel Eagle problem

I have a problem.....

Was doing sidewalks at an office park today and my surface cleaner (24" Steel Eagle) got hung up in a garden hose...stupid mistake, but two out of three of my spinner bars are bent. Tried straightening them, but can't get them straight enough to prevent some pretty severe vibration. I figured that's not real good on the swivel spinner, so I cleaned up and stopped. Came home to order some new bars, and three backups...until I saw the price. The cheapest I've been able to find is $43.95 EACH.

My first question is does anyone know where I can get these cheaper?

Second question is, what would prevent me from making my own? An 8" or so piece of stainless tubing, a 90 degree elbow, and a flare nut.....Any reason this wouldn't work? I can make something like that for a hell of a lot less than $46.00.

Yep, think I'm going to get the parts tomorrow afternoon and give it a shot. Hell, what do I have to lose? I had planned on buying 3 replacement bars and 3 extras....that's $260.00 (if my math is wrong, pardon me...two glasses of wine will do that). I can't spend that much on spinner bars...not when I can make the exact same thing for $10.00 or so.

http://groups.msn.com/Hotwaterwizard/buildyourownsurfacecleaner.msnw

This is the link for Hot Water Wizard and the plans that he has for building your own surface cleaner, provided by Rick at ProWash. I did not re-read them, but I recall that they gave details on making the arms. It may come in handy.

I have seen Steel Eagle spinner arms that did not have a weld on the arm where the 90 degree fitting is, so it should not be a problem, as long as they are tight.

I would buy them new. They are balanced and the right size. you would be wasting money and still have to order them. I tried to make a straight bar and focused on trying to keep them balanced as much a possable. it worked but did sake quite a bit. good luck

Depending on how you look at it, if the spray bars are home made and work then that is great but if they are not balanced, the vibration could ruin a $290.00 Whisper Wash or Whirl A Way swivel or a $600.00 Deublin swivel.

This is just a different way of looking at it. I have tried to make one myself a while back but the steel bars and fittings are never the same weight so I would have to grind metal off parts and after a few hours I got close but in the end I thought of how much it would cost for a new swivel if it got messed up from the vibration so I just ordered new spray bars.

Superior Power Washing

Chris Chappell

361-853-2513

prostaff@superiorpowerwashing.com

House Cleaning

Driveway and Sidewalk Cleaning

Chris and Jim are right they are balanced and it is not worht the effort. I made my own once and it just didn't work quite right the right tools make all the difference. LIke a sharp drill bit and a dull one. do it right the first time and you will save money in the long run.