Sign in to follow this  
detailbarn

What do consider safe clothing for powerwashing?

I just read the current copy of Cleaner Times and it got me thinking about our clothing as power washers. What do you and your employess wear while washing and what do you think is completly safe to wear while washing? What is the line between safe and comfortable? Thanks in advance for the input.

I use the dreaded, HOT yellow overalls...I would love to hear if there's anything cooler recommended that will protect my skin. Every Tshirt I own is covered in bleach spots from overspray.

Don't know if you guys have heard of "frogg toggs". They are bib lightweight and waterproof overalls. They are about $70 at someplace like BassPro Shops. I love them, not too hot and tucked inside my rubber boots I stay nice and dry.

I wear Frog Togs in the winter. Way too hot for me and Florida summers. Dickies shorts, T-shirts (logo'd, clean) lacrosse ankle high rubber boots, glasses, hat, disposable nitrile gloves and respirator on roofs and screen enclosures.

I just fired my son three days ago.It was 95 degrees (unbearibly hot for us).My son tried telling me he was wearing a muscle shirt instead of the company colors.Believe it or not,we wear shorts and t's most of the time.

I use the dreaded, HOT yellow overalls...I would love to hear if there's anything cooler recommended that will protect my skin. Every Tshirt I own is covered in bleach spots from overspray.

Get some Ash Grey t-shirts, or white. The bleach won't spot them up, but it WILL still eat them up if you get it on there strong enough.

Keep a plastic gallon bottle of white vinegar on the trailer/truck. It will neutralize bleach, which can come in handy if you get a lot on you in concentrated form.

I wear Levis and a t-shirt, but really need to get some lighter weight polyester uniform pants...those jeans sure get heavy when they get wet with water and/or sweat! Just that much more weight to carry around.

Ditto on the ash gray T-shirts. I also where the ones that are a little bit darker caller athletic heather, which doesn't seem to show bleach stains either. My problem is them getting eaten up by the chlorine. I can buy a dozen shirts and within 6 months they've all got holes in them.

I just ordered some 50/50 t-shirts, half cotton, half poly, so I'll see how those work out.

As for pants, I used to use blue jeans exclusively, but I was going through way to many (12-15 pair a year), so I recently bought some Dickies with cargo pockets (which I love, great place to carry tips), and they have held up exceptionally well. No holes, very faint bleach discoloration, but barely noticeable. I'm sold on the Dickies, just in the past month or so I've been wearing them I figure I've probably saved $20 or so, in what I would have paid for more blue jeans.

I like to wear nylon jogging type pants and a white tee shirt or polo. The nylon withstands the sodium hypochlorite, and the white tees and or white polo shirt don't show bleach spots. I also wear a white hat for the same reasons.