Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

PITA Homeowners...

Question

I was wondering if some of you could offer some techniques on getting rid of the guy that follows you around offering suggestions and asking questions the ENTIRE time you are cleaning his house. I've tried wearing my respirator to freak them out a little (also in the full yellow overalls), I have flat out asked them to leave so I wasn't liable for them inhaling chemicals and dropping on their front lawn, and I've warned them to stand back while I spray. Despite my efforts, I occasionally get some PITA that wants to follow me around, ask 8 billion questions, point out spots I've missed, etc., turning a 2 hour job into a 3 hour job. Any ideas on how to get them to stay in the house?

15 answers to this question

I keep a soap nozzle in my pocket for PITA customers.If I see them coming I pop it in and give the wand a swing in their direction.I've haven't soaked anyone yet.however,there have been some close calls.

I look at it as an opportunity for them to see what a good, professional job I do. Often, the ones that watch and SEE their home come clean will be the first one's to recommend you. I know what you mean though. " O.K. I'm spraying chemicals now "(That is actually the one time I will use the word chemicals) I'll need you to move. I'll let others take it from here. Might be fun to sit back and read the responses.

I get this with a lot of retired guys. They are old, and you need to learn from their wisdom (that is their thinking). Sometimes it is good, sometimes not. Personally, I put them to work. Seriously. I had two 70yr old guys carrying a corn blaster off a deck the other day while I watched on the phone. Seriously. Give them tasks, ask their advice (menial things). Make them feel like part of your team. They'll eat it up, and be thrilled with everything. You have to look at it like this: "how can I manipulate this person into a situation that makes ME happier and more profitable in the long run?" That's what I do, I've had guys die laughing at what I was able to get homeowners to do.....it's just selling a concept like anything else.

If they are "new" customers they are only watching out for their investment they hired you to clean.If they want to inhale the chems after you warned then they are on their own.I wouldn't be suprised if that guy had bad contractor exp.

People are just curious by nature some of us are just can't help it!

Jon you killing me over here that's TOO funny getting grandpa to be your helper but hey he's probally bored out of his mind.

I get a lot of window watchers mostly they will usually let me do my thing and leave me alone.They get a kick out of my shurflo pump set up it's simple and does the job fast.

On a diff "elder" subject how bout all the old folks getting all those STD's huh?

I bet they are not bored with all that stock in the little BLUE pill! :D

I saw a sign notice the other week in a shop...Can't remember exactly but it went something like this:

Normal rates; Monday through Friday

Tine and half on Sat.

Double on Sunday.

If you watch: add 20%

If you help: 3X normal rates

If you have suggestion/comments while I work add 50%

Etc etc etc

Great sign Brent!! A funny way to bring this up.

....As I think about it, I am one of those annoying customers when I go to autoshop or something. Staring and watching. I'm not criticizing or anything, just curious and entertained.

I have had good luck on residential, everyone stays inside or leaves for the day. However, on some convenience stores that I have the clerks like to come out and nitpick, while trying to get some add ons for free.

I run the surface cleaner first, and then come back to rinse and get the gum. The clerk sees gum after I pass with the surfacer and is real quick to point it out. I simply let him know that I am not done yet. Then I get the wand out, so I can try and finish, but that is usually when they stand right there watching. Since I had my head down, I play on that and just go ahead and start. They usually go back inside real quick. Little water splashing never hurt anyone.

I have made it a point that when I go over the instructions for the homeowner in regards to closing and locking windows, moving patio furniture, etc. I also mention that all occupants must stay inside or off the property while I work. This is strictly due to my INSURANCE Carrier, They require it.

Works great so far

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! Brent, the sign is awesome! I went to a job today and found 6 cul-de-sac neighbors sitting in the driveway drinking! They walked around as a group finding spots I "missed", etc...I should have used Scott's soap nozzle trick! They wear me out! I did get 2 quotes out of 'em though!

I get this with a lot of retired guys. They are old, and you need to learn from their wisdom (that is their thinking).

That's usually it! And some of those old guys have some stories to share! Keep in mind that these folks are retired, have a lot of time on their hands, and LOVE to talk to their neighbors and friends. If you indulge them a bit, they'll love you and walk away feeling like you're their new best friend. They'll tell their neighbors and friends what a great guy you are, what a great job you did. As someone else pointed out, most of us do the same thing when it is OUR stuff getting worked on!

Ray was the lube man at a Chevy garage where I was Parts Mgr. Ray knew his trade and did not take anything off anybody. Doc Sarazin just bought a new motor home and was having Ray undercoating the coach. Doc was also pointing out all of the spots Ray missed and all the spots Doc did not think were coated properly. Ray reached the boiling point, and as Doc pointed out one more spot, Ray turned, asked "Where?" Too bad Ray forgot to release the trigger and undercoated Doc's suit. Really odd, Ray did not usually make mistakes like that. Ray was left in peace after that.

When I'm cleaning a hood, I tell them that I WILL not spray the chemicals with them in the kitchen. If they want to watch the rest of the time...hey go for it, they are usually so impressed I get referrals or a tip out of it. Because of insurance though, they must not be around the chemicals.....

My father-in-law is one of these guys. Retired Fire cheif and is use to bossing everybody around. The other day he was telling the satelite guy how, where to run his cable. It was hilarious....the rest of us sat in the house watching this poor installer guy get red in the face.....