Sign in to follow this  
detailbarn

Do you wash in the rain?

Question

Curious to see how many people do or don't wash in the rain. For those that do how do you deal with customers who don't think you can power wash in the rain? Thanks for the feedback.

30 answers to this question

Curious to see how many people do or don't wash in the rain. For those that do how do you deal with customers who don't think you can power wash in the rain? Thanks for the feedback.

I will only stop if I'm on the roof and see lightning. The cutomers never come out of the house so I guess they figure if I dont mind, they dont mind..Sometimes if there is a litte drizzle, it kind of helps by keeping the roof wet and rinsing as I go.

Working in the rain has it's pros and cons for me pro- depending on the rain heavy or lite it can be less rinsing or keeping vegatation wet. Con being on a roof or staining a deck, which is a no no.

When I book "Powerwashing" jobs I always say will be there rain or shine. I had many customers at that point ask me if how do you powerwash in the rain or can you powerwash in the rain?? I'm always amused by this because Powerwashing consist of using a ton of water. Of course some heavy duty stripping jobs can not be done to well when its raining to hard because the water can thin out the stripper to much.

Either way the beauty of Powerwashing is that you can still go out and make money in the rain where alot of other businesses such as Landscaping,Driveway sealcoating and many many other type contractor businesses you can lose a days pay when you can't go out...

So bring on the rain or sun cause I'm still going to make money...Snow well thats another story.........

It rained 2 inches here in the last two days and I washed 3 houses and cleaned gutters on three others. the rain doesn't bother me on house washing . I don't do roofs or decks in the rain though..

I work faster in the rain. I don't have to prerinse the shrubs or rinse after. It helps with rinsing. I just mix my wash a little heavy and go to town. I also move a bit faster because my feet get cold. The homeowners havn't minded yet.

I had a customer who was adamant about having good weather when I cleaned here driveway. I told her that the rain wasn't an issue for me, but she couldn't be persuaded. Oh well, I guess you give the customer what they want.

The only time I take cover is if the weather brings in a lot of lightening. I'm a little scared of lightening. I was on a roof Monday when a nasty storm came through. I had to hurry and finish applying my chem to the section I was in the middle of cleaning. It started to lightening, and I was on the ground in about 45 seconds.

I love when I'm cleaning a roof and right after I finish applying my chemical, a huge ground soaker comes rolling through. Saves me about an hour and a half of rinsing time.

The only time I take cover is if the weather brings in a lot of lightening. I'm a little scared of lightening.

your not kidding.....I had lightening strike in my yard about 20 yards from my wife last year. It split a tree right down the middle (vertically) and destroyed my computer through the phone line....It was pretty scarry.

Reminds me of the beach around here...not too many electrical storms just lots of water..it's funny people are in the water up to their chests and it starts to sprinkle/light rain..you hear them say "Hurry get out of the water, it's raining you'll get soaked"...I get a laugh every time!!!

Not if I don't have to! But yes, I will. Never had a customer ask about it, or express an opinion.

I work faster in the rain. I don't have to prerinse the shrubs or rinse after. It helps with rinsing. I just mix my wash a little heavy and go to town. I also move a bit faster because my feet get cold. The homeowners havn't minded yet.

That is exactly my thoughts on rain during a house wash. I would much rather have an overcast or light rain when doing a house wash. I can soap down a lot more area without having to worry about it drying on the windows, and you don't have to worry about the homeowner looking over your shoulder ( or getting in your way) if the rain is coming down.

I tell customers that I get wet for a living, so a little rain doesn't bother me...though I hate looking up into the rain.

Standing outside, on wet ground, holding a long metal rod in my hand when there is lightning in the area does not seem to be a good idea. For an additional $5/mo on my Sprint phone, I get The Weather Channel radar. I can tell if its going to be a shower, or an all day rain or if its likely to have lightning.

Thanks everyone for the responses , glad to see I'm not the only one washing in the rain. I had a customer come out in the rain yesterday and ask me to stop because of the rain. When I told her I was almost done she said there was no way I could have done a good job in the rain. Well needless to say after I finished and walk the house with her she was amazed that I had removed all the mold in the rain!

I do need to find some new rain gear mine still let me get soaked in the hard er rain. Any suggestions on some good rain gear that is light weight?

Thanks Again.

I do need to find some new rain gear mine still let me get soaked in the hard er rain. Any suggestions on some good rain gear that is light weight?

Thanks Again.

Frog Toggs.....

I love mine...I like them for hood cleaning as well, they are black ( at least mine are ) and they don't show any grease if/ when I splash a little grease on them. I also like that they are bib bottoms so out here when it's still 90 degrees at night I can wear a short sleeve shirt and the bibs.....

Hope you like them as much as I :)

I've talked with a concrete staining specialty company about doing their prep work and 1 thing that they liked for outdoor jobs was that I could still do the work, in the rain. This would save them a day on the job. Time is money.