Sign in to follow this  
Don Phelps

Possible FL Job Lead

Here is a copy of an email I received. If anyone in the area is interested, contact Javier.

Hi, my name is Javier Gregson. I work for commercial services. I am emailing you because our company is currently looking for someone who does surface cleaning. We have been given a contract to do surface cleaning for all the Cracker Barrels. We wanted to know if your company would be interested in doing some surface cleaning for us for some Cracker Barrels in the Florida area. We just need a little more information. So if you could, please fill out the following questionnaire and reply to me as soon as you can. I also attached some information about what the surface cleaning for Cracker Barrel would entail. It would require that each Cracker Barrel be cleaned every 3 months at $200 service.

Javier Gregson

Commercial Services

2443 St. Johns Bluff Rd

Jacksonville, FL 32246

1800-359-7083x111

jgregson@commercialservices.cc

I have spoken with Javier several times.This is a nation wide contract and they are seeking companies to pressure washing in every state.

They require a minimum of 3000psi, hot water and use of a surface cleaner.

Don,

As a PW'r I appreciate the info you have past along. I have several of the CB in my area and recently found out about the corporate level change to Commercial Services. I have been providing service to these accoiunts in my area for about 3 years on a monthy basis and I know how dirty they get.

The amount mentioned above ($200), IMHO is another act of Low balling, price cutting to get business or what ever you may choose to call it. They are not staffed or set up to perform this service (that I am aware of) and although they are a professional company, my cuistomers do not want to change to another vendor for cleaning, b/c they have been there before and receive POOR cleaning.

I guess I am venting a bit here, but it is clear htat someone has marketed that CB can save money by cleaning quarterly from services provided by those accepting very low $$. Most of these CB are in the neighborhood of 6700 sf. The dumpster areas, even on a monthly basis, are black and thick with grease, trash, food and funk. On a quarterly basis.... I will be happy to post some pics I have from normal cleaning. I have many of them where grease had to be shoveled. I guess CS is not even bothering to consider the environmental aspect!!

Brent I had that same thought I looked into it but thought that is a large area and quarterly is a long time to go. I do a steakhouse weekly and It's bad enough when I get there after a week much less every 12 weeks. I get paid the same for my weekly account as they pay for quarterly.

Javier told me he wasn't making a decision until Monday(yesterday) then I find out the decision was made last Friday. He never bothered to call me back. That, along with what you guys have said and my own opinion after looking at my local C.B. I'm glad somebody else took it.

There are 3 CB's left, all in the West Palm area. If you're in that area and interested, drop Javier a line ASAP. I think the other 2 are in Boynton Bch. and Deerfield Bch.

I appreciate Don for posting leads on the bbs. I have done this from time too time.

I have to agree that for 200.00 this is a very low price to do the job correctly.

Of course contractors will figure this out on there own and trim the quality. Therefore in the end it gives the legitimate guys a bad name.

I’m sure the first time they will pay commercial service to clean the stores. Then go home and figure out they lost about 50 per unit, next time they come out they fly thru them doing a substandard job.

Who really looses? Well the customer the contractors and commercial. National accounts are wonderful; I have a few large ones that I clean for a publicly traded company even larger than commercial services. Funny when they approached me they gave me the price. I laughed; they said what’s so funny? I said could I just send them a check and stay home. They were actually looking for someone who knew that the price they had given was not correct. (The rest is know three years of history)

I’m not saying that commercial is looking for this, I might bring it to there attention.

I feel the pain of fellow contractors on these issues, I just don’t have time to suffer.

Ron,

Thank you for the support. That was my intent on the posting my opinions of what I see happening through the pricing as noted by what CS would pay. I agree that contracts are or can be good, but everyone knows or will find out quickly that to do the job properly requires the proper equipment, chemicals, technique etc to run a profitable business.

The managers at the locations I provide service for have been through this before and are resisting the change.....but I am sure they will have to do what they are told by the suits. That is the way of the corporate world. IMHO...It will only be a matter of time before they figure out this may not really be so cost effective, Ie quarterly cleaning, subcontracting to anyone that bites for the $$,) I have heard from many of the managers that more and more health inspectors are looking more closely at the back areas, dumpsters etc and deducting points. I have seen as much as 3 points deducted.

I have also seen the inside of coolers look worse than the dumpster and the restaurant gets a 98?????? Go figure that

The CB in my area I was doing for $ 500.00 on a monthly basis. I considered the job lead and contacted Javier and from the info he sent me it was just below 1800 sf ( according to their calculations).It seems to me they bid this low and got the contract and are scrambling to find Contractors with hot water and use proper chems to do this work. I told Javier good luck at that price and he sent me an email and said the price was negotiable.I asked him to call me and we could talk about it and that was over a weak ago. I have not heard from him and I don't think I will. I'll be honest at that price it is not worth it, if they were willing to increase it to $400.00 it would be worth it. I can stay home and break even.

The front is about 1800 sf alone. The back area concrete is another 2000 sf +-, there are sidewalks along the sides and then the dumpster area which is typically another 40 X 40'. This is the size of all the ones in my area. Measured them and an average is 6700 sf. They take about 2.5 to 3 hrs to do if done regularly, qtrly is a different ball game....seen that.

I realize I don't have all the information on what they want and are willing to pay for. I do know what condition these locations were in before I began to clean them and what condition they will be in on a qrtly cleaning basis!!!!

The areas included are front porch w/3 small walks(they move chairs),dumpster pad +10ft and 15x15 area @ backdoor.There isn'ta lot of sq ft but the price is low.I have given them my prie per location for 3 stores now we wait to see if they accept.

Maybe If they throw in a couple of beers and a uniform (def leopard tank top & cut off jean shorts) that sound like a deal. Maybe they can throw in a uniform for the wife and kid! I think someone bit off more than they can chew (CS). I also think this is still a good opportunity for some, they now have an in with the CB and the manager. I would TT the Gm and say " I will do this work in accordance to the contract however the quality of workmanship will not be the usual high quality work my company is known for. At the contract price you will receive a good cleaning. However when your company realizes this will not work please allow me to continue servicing your store at the price of $_____ on a monthly basis with our exceptional workmanship!'

Scott,

The Cb in my area and I assume they are all built pretty much the same. Have a front porch area about 100' X 12'. Sidewalks are on both sides, 4'X60' +-. Back area designated as 15 X15', but grease, grime, build up etc is usually spread all the way in a path to the dumpster, the dumpster area is some where in the range of 30X30 minimum.

Every manager has slightlyvarying expectations, which include....The PW'r moves the chairs, if and when he feels like unlocking them. The Pw'r puts them back and they want you to lock them back up again. There are usually no fewer than 25 to 30 chairs and as many as they can put and stackon the porch during times like Xmas, mother's day, father;s day and any other opportunity to have a sale.

I have been cleaning them for a number of years and have carried my share of chairs back and forth. When you are waiting for them to unlock and "WAIT FOR THEM TO MOVE THE CHAIRS" you may be in for a long night.

Scott,

The Cb in my area and I assume they are all built pretty much the same. Have a front porch area about 100' X 12'. Sidewalks are on both sides, 4'X60' +-. Back area designated as 15 X15', but grease, grime, build up etc is usually spread all the way in a path to the dumpster, the dumpster area is some where in the range of 30X30 minimum.

Every manager has slightlyvarying expectations, which include....The PW'r moves the chairs, if and when he feels like unlocking them. The Pw'r puts them back and they want you to lock them back up again. There are usually no fewer than 25 to 30 chairs and as many as they can put and stackon the porch during times like Xmas, mother's day, father;s day and any other opportunity to have a sale.

I have been cleaning them for a number of years and have carried my share of chairs back and forth. When you are waiting for them to unlock and "WAIT FOR THEM TO MOVE THE CHAIRS" you may be in for a long night.

The deal is,you call and give them a 3 day notice.They are responsible for removing and replacing the chairs.They are also responsible to make sure that the dumpster is removed from the pad.If this is not done,then you note it on the work order and go around everything.

Just got a call from Commercial Services saying that they are putting all the Cracker Barrel cleaning on hold until further notice. She was a bit vague as to why, or when they would move forward. Anyone have any information on this?

I know there was a notice sent out by PWNA about Cracker Barrel looking for qualified contractors in several areas around the country.

Mike, I sent javier an e-mail and told him I would do them for $350.00 each and I haven't heard back from him. I am quite sure commercial services bid this job way too low and are having a hard time finding quality cleaners at that price.

Mike, I sent javier an e-mail and told him I would do them for $350.00 each and I haven't heard back from him. I am quite sure commercial services bid this job way too low and are having a hard time finding quality cleaners at that price.

From what I understand, most, if not all, areas in FL have been covered, with the possible exception of Tallahassee...they wouldn't go for my price to drive up there and clean it. I was contracted to do Gainesville and Lake City, at a bit more than they were initially offering. Not sure now what's going to happen.

Didn't one of the guys here get something like 25 of them?