Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Company goals

Looking ahead what are your company goals or in the longterm what do you want out of your company. Your wildest dreams for your company what would they be? realistically what are you striving for?

I'd like to make a very good living off my company, when I dream of what the future could be for my company I dream of a very successful, respected company. I'd like to make 200K minimum in my pocket, have crews doing condo complexes, parking garages & other commercial work. Have fulltime work for all crews.

I'd like to have Property Managers calling for our company because they know we do good work and get the work done properly and on time. I'd like a fulltime salesman and myself going after as much of the work as we can.

I'd like to educate as many PM's HOA's & commercial customers on the benifits of PWing and change the way most thnk around here. They wait until its so dirty its disgusting. Id like the hotels & condo towers to keep up their properties better and realize that PWing is a must do. This town is very dirty and I'd like to keep it clean

Id like a small retail store with office & warehouse space for all my trailers etc. Retail I'd like to sell locally parts & equipment

I'd really like a fulltime office person keeping up with all the paper work, payroll daily scheduling etc etc.

When I say I want to be The Pressure Washing King of Myrtle Beach I mean it. Id like to be the largest & most respected company around. Not the largest just so i can say I'm the largest, but because I have consistantly large volumes of work.

If I didnt have to do as much of the daily pressure washing & office work I could go out and hustle & sell much more. I'm getting pretty good at talking with PM's and if I had this to do 3-4 days a week I think the skies the limit.

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS & WISHES?

JL - TPWKOMB

This could also be the beginnings for some of a business plan.

Our goals are to hire and retain the employees we need to meet the demand we create.

This has been the toughest one and due to the "X" factor in other individuals not committed to the same goals as we are it is a challenge to say the least. We understand beforehand that the employees are not going to have the same drive and commitment as we do but finding those that posses the work ethic, discipline and loyalty to become stable and reliable employees is like the proverbial needle in the hay stack. Believe it or not, we have had better luck in this with citizens who have just moved to the U.S.A. and have a different attitude towards work. 2nd generation and naturalized citizens have the mindset of wanting to be the boss or supervisor and the work we have to do is actually beneath them. I do not mention this lightly as we have talked to so many who have replied to our ad for employment and this is where I draw my conclusions from...experience and in depth Q & A sessions.

We have gone so far as to have them fill out a pre-hire questionnaire to help eliminate those who are not qualified from those who have the aptitude. This has made our interviews more productive but still there are those who have learned the art of deception in order to get the job and within 2 weeks begin to show their true colors...Boot~

Overall, we see this goal being integral to our overall success as we need service capable people to provide our services. On we go.

Rod!~

This was posted by Sonny Lykos on www.contractortalk.com - and like most everything else that he has written; it encompasses my thoughts exactly (I have a hard time expressing my thoughts in a logical order)

These are some the goals that I would like to accomplish in the next 5 years that I had never considered before reading "The E-Myth Contractor"

Who or What Are We?

Well, now that I started the “ That Should Have Been Included” thread, let me start another one. This one determines how each of us feel about ourselves as business owners.

Do we feel we are 3rd class citizens as many, of not most of the public does, or do we think highly of ourselves a “owners” and as “owners” entitled to certain perks. And as you think about those business owner “entitlements”, think also about all of the entitlements 90% of the public thinks they should get and demand from our government, corporations, schools, hospitals, etc. I’ll start with what my OH and perks include without including the basic items we’re all aware of:

1. A minimum of 20% net profit

2. 4 weeks of paid vacation

3. 8 paid holidays,, or more

4. My medical premium.

5. All dental work out of pocket

6. Reserve for bad debt

7. Reserve for warranty work

8. All expenses plus salary for at least two annual trade shows.

9. All books and magazine subscriptions

10. Uniforms, shoes and socks.

11. 4 Sick/injury days annually - paid

12. Workers comp. I refuse to save strangers money at my expen$e.

13. My life insurance premium.

14. Bookkeeping. I pay my wife $150/wk to do it.

15. Finally, a generous salary.

Free free to add to or delete items from my list..

Sonny Lykos

You are so right, Rod. My goals are hindered by this very factor. I seem to get the blue flamers. They rocket to superstar status, I reward them for going above and beyond then one day, I'm sitting with two trucks, four jobs and only one employee shows up for work. It makes me look bad. It screws up my schedule and affects the bottom line in the worst way possible. Some of these guys aren't kids either. I have hired young, old, vets, part timers, college educated, high school drop outs, recovering addicts, and a union painter that had his own business. I've used labor services and spur of the moment day labor. It's disenchanting to say the least.

I'm easy to work for. I demand a certain level of performance but I am also very accomodating on schedule. Can't work a certain day? Just let me know in advance and I will work around you. Car broke down? No problem someone will get you on the way to the job site. The work ethic is not there. I even have tried hiring and leting these guys know, look this is your opportunity for ground floor entry into becoming a right hand man and possible ownership in my growing company. Nada.

I am in a tough stage. Growth is imminent. I have more work then I can keep up with some days so I can definitely expand. There is only so many times I can raise my prices without bordering on ridiculous. The problem is location and guarantee of winter work. A guy that is worthy wants a decent salary and he wants it 52 weeks per year. I have added interior services like painting and finish carpentry but come second week of December through the end of January, people close their shutters and their wallets. I have to bite the bullet I suppose and pay a couple of guys and let my other income avenues support me.

Back to the original question. While I like to be in the field and enjoy working with wood, as it is it is not profitable enough to offer the kind of craftsmanship I am currently offering. Next spring I will be setting up wood wagons (as we refer to them) Two pickup trucks, 4 gpm cold water portables, backpack sprayers, Wood Tux, premeasured chemical, hose reels, portable HVLP sprayers. These will be 'deck-in-a-day' setups and will fill in the blanks for the $400-$600 jobs I am currently turning down a bit too often. Each crew can do two per day or at least 5 maintenance cleanings.

When this system is as refined and profitable as can be, and name recognition holds weight, it will be franchised.

The Restore-A-Deck™ business plan includes nationwide retail distribution in higher end hardware and lumber yards by 2008.

Nice thread Jeff.....makes us all think.

I am currently at the border of having too much work for me too handle in the hood cleaning area. I clean every hood usually with a helper, sometimes not. I really can't grow anymore without hiring two people (a crew). Personally, I have tried to steer clear of hiring people for the reasons that Ken and others have already spoke of. Worker's Comp is horribly high here in California, so that would be eating at my profit big time.

So, I can either stay where I am now at $xx/ month gross and net or, I can hire a crew try and work out the bugs and make more gross (because of more business), but about the same net or a little less. Right now, I don't have the headaches that come along with employes, but if say I'm out riding my quad and I wreck and hurt myself.....I'm screwed-BIG TIME!

I have no idea what to do. When I invision what I would like to do....it would be: Have a couple crews cleaning hoods full time and I would be doing the pressure washing myself. Whether or not, I'll reach that.....I don't know.:lgbonk:

Employees, employees, employees. Its just to bad. I'm lucky so far I have 2 great guys My worker Derrick is 27 and a great work ethic. My Bro In Law is also a great worker and now I have his cousin who is working out great. I pay them $14 an hr just got the raise and the new guy $10 and will give him a 60 day raise if all is well. I think they will stay with me but you just never know. The pay I give them is pretty darn good for this area and I want them to make a living wage.

I work at keeping these guys, last year was a nightmare at times, crackheads, theives, lazy etc. etc. I hope to have 2-4 guys I can always reley on, we'll see

As I grow I need them to step up and they do, they'll work almost any hrs I need and they do care, they are still learning and Id like to offer more for them but i cant affor health care yet.

Good luck to all of us with employees

I like the questioaire for new employees, it cant hurt.

In the next couple of years I'm shifting to the very very wealthy. I'm in the door now for complete exterior maint. between 1 to 2 k a job per year. I was working last week direct water front ( refered for ipe 2000 sqft) came away with washing and taking care of property. And a referal( got job without quoting). 50 of these I can manage with my other stuff and never have to advertise.

that brings up another question.......Do you have your employes sign a non-compete or something like that? Aren't you guys afraid that they will break off and do their own thing?

Ken you are very business savvy. I would be wrapping at your door and faxing the hell outa my resume to your office to get in on the ground floor.

As for my business plans, I would like to run a successful First rate business that will comfortably allow me to give up the corporate rat race. I know that it will not be long before the Mrs. sees that I can really make this work and can provide and sustain the same level of comfort she has grown accustomed to. It should not be long before I will no long be looking for project numbers to charge to and fill in my time sheet.

My plan is to set the standard for the Pressure Wash/Exterior Maintenance industry in Puerto Rico and throughout the lesser Antilles Island chain. I also hope to integrate or create an additional branch of service for the Kitchen Exhaust/Deep clean arena. MY NUMBER ONE CHALLENGE WILL BE LACK OF COMMITTED RELIABLE BUSINESS ASSOCIATES (Employees).

I might be a franchisee for the wood wagon gang too!!