Sign in to follow this  
David O'Connell Jr.

Plant protection!!!

We do 80% roof work. We leave the tarps on while the roof is rinsed. Then we remove them to wash the house.

By then the sprinklers and the hoses that were running ( during the roof spray ) have put enough water down to make a small swamp.

We used to do it differently and found that a little browning happens ( which was quicker but it damaged plants ). This way once we leave we know there is maybe a 1% chance of damage.

We also re-route the downspouts to dirt areas if possible, if we can't we bag them.

The picture in this post the sprinklers were all under the tarps so they really got wet. The sprinklers ran in the front zone for 30 minutes total time and we also had a garden hose going there as well. As far as other areas, if we feel they are questionable we will skip the sprinklers to that zone and run them while we pack up. There is always a hose or two running somewhere at the property.

We encounter a lot of bouganvilla bushes. These will wilt just when you get the tarp near them. So we will wait to tarp that untill we are about to spray that area.

For chemical house washes we will take a 20 foot tarp and wrap it on the house side of the bouganvilla and I'll pull it away from the house while that area of the house gets cleaned. Most of the vegitation here can handle house mix plus they get rinsed as the house gets sprayed with chemicals ( 2 people )

Sorry for the long post

David, thanks for sharing that with us! We don't do roof work, but it is interesting to read about how it is done. Up here, folks don't seem to care too much what the roof looks like. Go figure.

Beth

We'd love to get more ground work.

Ditto on that! Sometimes its hard to upsell the driveway even when its solid black.

Im glad you posted the pics. I was thinking of doing that after the last browned out bushes. I thought maybe I had some residual chem on the tarps and turned them down the wrong way, but your right, some plants just get too hot under the tarps.