Sign in to follow this  
James

Re- Thinking Woodcare

Question

In the last 2 months the rain has killed me. Last Sat no rain was perdicted and it poured. Monday we had storms and last night it stormed. It's time to rethink putting so much effort in this area.?And the last 5 years have been the same............

16 answers to this question

I have heard the weather up your was has been horrible. We went through that a couple years back, had 5 months of pretty straight rain. I'll keep thinking dry thoughts for you up there. May the rest of your season be sunshine and blue skies, and temps that are tolerable. (I'll throw a request to not have strong winds too, but that might be pushing it...)

Beth :sunshine:

James, I hear you 100%. This is one of the reasons I switched to WTW but still you have customers that are not willing to spend $1500-$2500 every few years to keep their deck maintained. Every builder I encounter says that 80% of his new construction is composite. Then you have ipe. In my opinion this is even more of a losing battle. Now you have Mr Burke at WRCLA spreading the word that all we as deck professionals do is destroy wood by using a PW'er.

The writing is on the wall which is why I introduced the Restore-A-Deck system. I am retargeting smaller decks we can complete in 4-5 hours. The big ones are nice for the portfolio but end up being logistical nightmares and time eaters. I am in this as a business, to make money. Decks are a shrinking margin and they represent 80% of my business. Capturing a large share of a shrinking market is not a smart business plan. I think the market for small to mid size decks will remain constant, so again that is what I am targeting.

Heavy rain will of course hinder any facet of our business, there is little you can do to hedge against it. But supplementing your business with property cleanup (housewashing, concrete etc) is a little insurance against losing big money waiting for monsoon season to end. I hope it gets better for you up there.

According to the National Deck and Railing Association and the folks who put on Deck Expo, the market saw a big increase in the use of composites over the past few years. The percentages are actually broken out to about 80% continued wood use and about 20% composites and leveling off. The use of exotics and other species has increased. With this comes an increased need for knowledge both by the consumer before erecting a deck with "other" species and what the future care(with realistic expectations) will be as well as for contractors as to how to maintain the wood. Wood is not going away at this point. Technology and "out of the box" thinking will help. It is amazing that at the Forest Products Laboratory that there is a product that was put on "dirty" wood 30 years ago and still to this day looks as if it were recently done. This was a red opaque finish. I seriously doubt that products used today would do just that. Maybe we have gone too far in what goes into the coatings that we have made them nearly impossible to work with. They do not perform in the ways needed to achieve optimal results.

Dealing with weather conditions can be very difficult. I have seen many contractors go to add on for this area. Lighting, caps, repairs, railing replacement, cob blasting, and much more to keep steady work until the weather is appropriate. Don't be giving up on me now Diamond Jim!

OHMMMMM....Sunshine on Jim, Sunshine on Jim.....OHMMMMMM.

Jim, with your reputation for wood care - could you not maybe move some of that knowledge inside for hardwood floors and furniture?

Back to OHMMMMMM....Sunshine on Jim, Sunshine on Jim.....OHMMMMM

:sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:

Celeste

They do not perform in the ways needed to achieve optimal results.

If they did, the manufactures would not make as much revenue. Have said it before, will say it again, all products have a life cycle, all products are designed to need to be purchased again and eventually will fail. That, is a marketing fact. In addition to seeking new business, manufacturers rely on repeat business, just like the rest of us do. This will never, ever change.

OK...off my soapbox ;)

Beth

I'm going to say this once, and once only.... We do not bash or flame here. No name calling, I don't care if you think it is funny. The bearer of the moniker may not. Name calling is not allowed. That is all I am going to say.

Beth

p.s. yes, the thread has been edited.

The problem is that's what I get the calls for (Wood). Hardwoods dry in 12 hours (15%) Mohog and Ipe' this is good. Cedar blows and stay's wet for ever. I can't give it up . It's a thought though.....................

James,

Time to get out the heavy duty super duper deluxe hyper-drive kick butt and take names blower and dry off them decks or else set up a tent and good on ya!

Hang in there, I didn't send it all to you, some went to the other fellers up there cause they was getting over heated a bit and I uh, guess I over did it...just a tad!

;)

Rod!~

Diamond Jim,

You could not walk away from wood if the wife, kids, and grandparents dragged you into Long Island Sound. Let alone that stupid bird on your head chirping "cedar" every few minutes. Real fun wood, it certainly is a PITA but worth it when its done.

Put down the edit button an step back slowly. The guy's name is Ed. Mister Ed is not slanderous and I was addressing Mr Jim not slamming anyone from some obscure message board. I do appreciate your nurturing ways, Beth but mothering is not neccessary.

Doing Wood is so profitable but the weather plays such a factor in it that at times like Jim is conveying above I feel like just leaving wood behind. Around a month ago or so I had around 6 decks that where stripped and they had to sit around 2 weeks before we could even attempt to stain them. All the customers understood that we couldn't get them stained untill this rain front cleared out. I hated everyday that passed that these decks stayed exposed like the way they where. Plus flipping around jobs was a pain and of course on some days that we powerwashed the expected rains never came and some of those decks could have been done.

I will forever look for more Powerwashing jobs to do over wood staining jobs..but..still can't walk from where the money is even if its from....wood.

Mister Ed is not slanderous and I was addressing Mr Jim not slamming anyone from some obscure message board.

That's a real fine line, and you know it. Given the context of the thread on a another BBS that your comments were a spill over from, and the mention of "Wilbur" in the dialog, I think the innuendo is there. Subtle, but there. Besides, do you ever address Shane as Mr. Shane, or Rod as Mr. Rod, or Rick as Mr. Rick? No, you don't....yet. Call it mothering if you like, I call it administering the rules.

By the way, yes I changed your avatar...I know what happens when that keystroke combination is used.

Were you class clown in High School Ken?

Beth

That's a real fine line, and you know it. Given the context of the thread on a another BBS that your comments were a spill over from, and the mention of "Wilbur" in the dialog, I think the innuendo is there. Subtle, but there. Besides, do you ever address Shane as Mr. Shane, or Rod as Mr. Rod, or Rick as Mr. Rick? No, you don't....yet. Call it mothering if you like, I call it administering the rules.

By the way, yes I changed your avatar...I know what happens when that keystroke combination is used.

Were you class clown in High School Ken?

Beth

LOL. Sometimes.